• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A Fisherman's Suite

Share/Bookmark

A Fisherman's Suite

This suite consists of a series of Flemish fisherman's songs and dances (shanties) bundled in an orchestral piece with piccolo, 2/3 flutes, clarinet, accordion, dulcimer, 6 violins (1st and 2d), tambourine and double bass.

It was made in Finale, later reworked in Notion with all GPO instruments except the accordion (Kontakt 5). The dulcimer was replaced
    b y a harpsichord.

A very traditional classical/folk arrangement, ending in an 18th century country dance (which is actually a bad translation of 'contradans', meaning a dance with the partners in front of each other in two rows or in square).

Max

A Fisherman's Suite

Re: A Fisherman's Suite

I really liked this. The beginning instantly got me hooked. Makes think of pirates when I listen to this but also has nice fantasy touch! Great work!

Max, you have such a magical way with this material. I started listening on headphones this morning, but soon turned on the speakers so my wife could hear this also. We both loved starting the day with such nicely done folk music. Wonderful--Thank you!

I do have a question - You refer to this as "A Fisherman's Suite" in your post, but the MP3 is called "Zeemanssuite"-- Assuming you don't mean the Dutch physicist, who is Zeeman?

Thanks again.

Randy

This sounds nice to me. I can see a fisherman with broad pipe hanging out of his mouth while playing the accordion. A very cool folk tune.
    Jay

the way, Max - This is completely Off Topic:

I have a current thread in General Discussion about how the word "b y" can't be displayed in the Forum's posts anymore without a space between the two letters. Richard pointed out on that thread that it's actually any word that has B and Y next to each other, like bab y, goodb ye - I'm using the Enter key after the Bs in those words, otherwise both the B and Y wouldn't show up in the post.

You have the phrase, "The dulcimer was replaced a harpsichord." - See how "b y" was deleted? We have no idea why this is happening, and it's not the end of the world as we know it or anything, but it can make posts more ragged than we intend, and in the worst cases, could render a post unintelligible.

So - there's my Off Topic Tip for today!

R

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Max, you have such a magical way with this material. I started listening on headphones this morning, but soon turned on the speakers so my wife could hear this also. We both loved starting the day with such nicely done folk music. Wonderful--Thank you!

I do have a question - You refer to this as "A Fisherman's Suite" in your post, but the MP3 is called "Zeemanssuite"-- Assuming you don't mean the Dutch physicist, who is Zeeman?

Thanks again.

Randy
    Fisherman is just the translation for the Dutch word "zeeman", which actually means everybody earning his living on the sea. It's not somebody's name, just a profession or a denomination.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

Thanks again.

Randy
    I'm always glad to make someone's day with my music. This suite was made in 1994 or 1995, in the Stone Age of music printing: fully hand written and performed b y my orchestra. Alas, no live recordings of that piece. A couple of years ago, I transcribed it with Finale and recently again with Notion and GPO. There's a nice painting on my website with the suite ( http://www.joswyl.be/zeemanssuite-fishermans-sui.html ). Thank you for taking the time to listen to it and for your kind words. Always encouraging!

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    This sounds nice to me. I can see a fisherman with broad pipe hanging out of his mouth while playing the accordion. A very cool folk tune.
    Jay
    Thank you, Jay.

Hi Max,

This is really nice, well-orchestrated music. Prefect for the folk nature of the material. I love the transition to the pizz @ 1:17!

As a Navy veteran, music that evokes images and memories of the sea are always very near and dear to my heart. I think you have captured some of the many moods of her. The playfulness, the gentle majesty, but also in places, the foreboding nature of the sea.

When I saw the mp3 title, I just assumed it was a translation of 'Seaman' ... which I guess was correct!

Thanks for the lovely music.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hi Max,

This is really nice, well-orchestrated music. Prefect for the folk nature of the material. I love the transition to the pizz @ 1:17!

As a Navy veteran, music that evokes images and memories of the sea are always very near and dear to my heart. I think you have captured some of the many moods of her. The playfulness, the gentle majesty, but also in places, the foreboding nature of the sea.

When I saw the mp3 title, I just assumed it was a translation of 'Seaman' ... which I guess was correct!

Thanks for the lovely music.

Frank
    You're right, Frank, Zeeman = Seaman, but these songs are mainly fishermen's songs. There was a widely spread tradition in western Europa at the end of the 18th, beginning of the 19th century to cultivate the old seafaring songs. A lot of Flemish composers used some of them as themes in their works (Romanticism, adoration of manual craft and craftsmanship and all kinds of rural activities). A couple of songs in the suite are taken from a collection of cod fishermen's songs who went off for 6 months to and around Iceland and back. That was real hardship for almost no wages. They say that the fishermen weren't even aloud to eat fish. They only got the heads and tails (and intestines). In that regard, this suite could be considered as a tribute to their unbelievable hard life (and many died at sea).

Thanks for listening,

Max

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast