• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My Demo for QLSO Percussion Section

Share/Bookmark

My Demo for QLSO Percussion Section

Hey everyone -

Since I only have the percussion section for this library, and I haven\'t heard any \"percussion only\" demos out there, I put a quick 1 minute demo together to see what it could do.

Here\'s the link: Percussive Dream

Some production notes -
    - All of this is straight qlso percussion - no other libs, and no effects, or changes to panning, etc were added - all out of the box. The only thing I did add was an adaptive limiter to the output to keep the dbfs below 0. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

- Until a Mac AU version comes out, I had to run this standalone on a pc, which meant only 8 instruments at a time (then mute, change multis, start again).

Let me know your thoughts -

- Eric

Re: My Demo for QLSO Percussion Section

Eric,

Great piece! The dynamics are wonderful.

What\'s the sound that is part of the overall texture at the :41 seconds point? Is it a whistle of some sort?

What do you mean when you wrote: \"I had to run this standalone on a pc, which meant only 8 instruments at a time (then mute, change multis, start again)\"?

I have no idea how the QLSO works and I don\'t understand why you were limited to 8 instruments.

I love the dynamics in this piece

Marko

Marko,

Yep - that\'s a whistle in there [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Regarding the standalone issue, QLSO can be run in either \"plugin\" mode (where it is a vst/etc plugin in your music software) or \"standalone\" mode (where it runs as it\'s own app.

While you can have many instances as a plug in, you can have only one (that I\'ve seen) as a standalone app. The kompakt engine will load up to 8 instruments at a time (grouped together as a unit called a \'multi\'). So since my piece was about 15 instruments, I would load up 8 at a time, work on them, then switch midi tracks, load up 8 new ones, etc.

I forgot to mention that while qlso has close, far, and surround versions of all instruments, I just used the far versions for everything (whether that\'s good or bad, not sure yet [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

Eric

Nice Job Eric. You ought to hit Nick and Doug up for another section - this demo should sell a lot of this percussion section. I imagine this percussion blends nicely with other libraries as well.

Rob

Eric and others,

I am completely ignorant of how this library works.

Could you tell me what the specs on your computer are, soundcard, ram and clock speed (the usual stuff) that\'s needed to run this library?

Does it work with a sequencer? I have been to the Soundsonline site several times, but I think I need a more basic intro to how this library works. Any suggestions are appreciated.

hoo boy.. ok.. let\'s see if I can do this in a concise manner. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Think of this lib as a \'sound machine\' that runs in software. Now, there are 2 ways to run it. One is a standalone app (as I did) - this way it receives midi events and plays appropriate sounds. The other way is as a plug in in your sequencer of choice. There are several plug in formats, VST being the most popular. It all depends on you sequencer what plugins you support.

I ran it in standalone mode on a 1.8ghz pc, running xp, with 2 gb of memory. The sequencing was on my mac.

It definitely shows that you can do things with this library without having the hottest machine around (I wasn\'t even running the dfd extensions that come with registering!)

Eric

Sharmy -

Yes, you could do that with v-stack. Since I was waiting for the mac os x au version to run on my dp 2.0 ghz g5, I decided to run it in standalone mode and see what I could do.

Definitely shows you can do something with this library \"out of the box\" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Eric

Originally posted by Eric Doggett:
    Hey everyone -

Since I only have the percussion section for this library, and I haven\'t heard any \"percussion only\" demos out there, I put a quick 1 minute demo together to see what it could do.

Here\'s the link: Percussive Dream

Some production notes -
    - All of this is straight qlso percussion - no other libs, and no effects, or changes to panning, etc were added - all out of the box. The only thing I did add was an adaptive limiter to the output to keep the dbfs below 0. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

- Until a Mac AU version comes out, I had to run this standalone on a pc, which meant only 8 instruments at a time (then mute, change multis, start again).

Let me know your thoughts -

- Eric
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Eric,

If you are running the module on a PC, you can use Vstack (Steinberg) so you can run it in VST mode and get multiple instances. You could theoritically (depending on CPU power) get 128 part multi-timbral with this.

Of course, I\'m sure you can\'t wait to get your hands on a G5 and OSX version - that will smoke!!

Nice piece, a little of the close mics would add some definition to the instruments IMO.

Take care

- Doug

Double post!!!

Doug -

Absolutely agree on the v-stack point.

What I meant to say was that I was content with trying the standalone version until the mac version comes out. But yes, I can, and may still, try v-stack as a test to see what I can do there.

Go Back to forum