• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question About SFZ / ARIA Tone Generators

Share/Bookmark

Question About SFZ / ARIA Tone Generators

I saw on the web somewhere that I can use a sine generator to define the sample source in an SFZ file:

sample=*sine

Using educated guesses, I found that there are several other tone generators available in ARIA:

sample=*saw
    sample=*square
    sample=*triangle
    sample=*noise

I couldn't find any place where a list of these SFZ tone generators is documented. Are there more than what I have mentioned above? Is the list player-dependent? (i.e., might ARIA have a different set of generators than another SFZ player has?) If so, what are the tone generators that ARIA supports?

Thanks.

EDIT: If anyone's interested, here is a very rudimentary SFZ file I created while playing around with this:

Code:
    // *************************************************************************
    // A simple tone generator.

<global>

sw_lokey=21
      sw_hikey=28
      sw_default=21

// Note:  All tone generators (except *noise) have 440 Hz as the fundamental

pitch_keycenter=69 // A-440
      lokey=33           // A-55
      hikey=105          // A-3520

<master>

sw_lolast=21
      sw_hilast=21
      sw_label=Sine Wave

<region>

sample=*sine

<master>

sw_lolast=23
      sw_hilast=23
      sw_label=Sawtooth Wave

<region>

sample=*saw

<master>

sw_lolast=24
      sw_hilast=24
      sw_label=Square Wave

<region>

sample=*square

<master>

sw_lolast=26
      sw_hilast=26
      sw_label=Triangle Wave

<region>

sample=*triangle // can also use *tri

<master>

sw_lolast=28
      sw_hilast=28
      sw_label=Noise

<region>

sample=*noise
    Best Regards,
    Ernie

Re: Question About SFZ / ARIA Tone Generators

This is a great educated guess
    I need to publish more and more ARIA SFZ details from our dev wiki to the public. But this falls into player specific land indeed.

Only Dimension Pro and ARIA have '*' generators, and they both implement things differently. *sine in Dimension pro is an internal 440Hz wav file at pitch_keycenter=60.. which imho didnt make sense. Ours is a real time generated sine which follows pitch_keycenter.

ARIA also has generators that can be added through the private SDK,
    this is what allows chipsounds to exist.

Example:

<region> sample=*com.Plogue.DAC.4Bit.Linear sample_config=89ABCDEFFEDCBA987654321001234567
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Thank you, David.

Quote Originally Posted by David (plogue) View Post
    This is a great educated guess
    I'm persistent. I kept trying different words, and seeing which ones worked.

I need to publish more and more ARIA SFZ details from our dev wiki to the public
    Yes, please do (when you can find time). I find these technical details fascinating, and want to learn all I can about ARIA SFZ.

Technical Question #1: Is there a way to perform pulse-width modulation on the *square wave? (Or is there some kind of *pulse wave that I didn't find?) I've been trying to think of how I could use an LFO or other SFZ function to modulate the pulse width, but I can't think of a way to do it.

Technical Question #2: Is there a way to invert the polarity of the *saw wave? I would like to have both a rising and a falling *saw wave. This one seems like it should be easy, but I couldn't find an SFZ opcode that will let me set the amplitude to -1.
    Best Regards,
    Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by lunker View Post
    Technical Question #1: Is there a way to perform pulse-width modulation on the *square wave? (Or is there some kind of *pulse wave that I didn't find?) I've been trying to think of how I could use an LFO or other SFZ function to modulate the pulse width, but I can't think of a way to do it.
    Currently only with the chipsounds generators. And LFO them using custom ARIA features.
    check on the 6581 SID chip in chipsounds.
    <region>
    sw_last=0 sw_label=Pulse
    sample_const_param01=0.0001 //SID has a huge DC offset which subsequent AC coupling screws (assumes 352800Khz)
    sample=*com.Plogue.PWM
    sample_dyn_param01=1 //dyn_param01 is PWM value
    sample_dyn_param01_oncc2=-1
    sample_dyn_param01_smoothcc2=10
    loop_mode=loop_continuous

//special LFO for PWM
    lfo01_wave=0
    lfo01_freq=0
    lfo01_freq_oncc3=2
    lfo01_sample_dyn_param01=0.0
    lfo01_sample_dyn_param01_oncc4=0.40

note: the sample_dyn_paramXX stuff is ARIA specific.

Technical Question #2: Is there a way to invert the polarity of the *saw wave? I would like to have both a rising and a falling *saw wave. This one seems like it should be easy, but I couldn't find an SFZ opcode that will let me set the amplitude to -1.
    I needed to inverse the phase of a triangle wav:

<region>
    sample=*triangle
    phase=invert //standard SFZ 2.0, the other value is phase=normal

Thank you again!

I haven't purchased chipsounds yet, but I will give it a try. I think I would like it.

phase=invert //standard SFZ 2.0, the other value is phase=normal
    Hmm ... I don't see that opcode listed in SFZ 2.0 documentation in the "Cakewalk" book (which I think is the only place an amatuer like me can get the SFZ 2.0 specification). I'm glad to learn about it -- it's just what I was looking for.
    Best Regards,
    Ernie

Hmm ... I don't see that opcode listed in SFZ 2.0 documentation in the "Cakewalk" book (which I think is the only place an amatuer like me can get the SFZ 2.0 specification). I'm glad to learn about it -- it's just what I was looking for.
    Confirmed. Probably an oversight on Simon Cann's,
    I might have seen this in Dimension SFZ files...

Go Back to forum