• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Whimsical

Share/Bookmark

Whimsical

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/music/Whimsical.mp3

I wrote this one targeted for intermediate band. A bit more work but I think I'm close.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Re: Whimsical

Hi Mitch,

Nice piece. Love the harmonic counterline when it comes in. Makes me wish it was St. Patty's Day (wishing for spring already.) What grade band are you thinking. Young H.S. ? Just a comment on the arrngement - personal opinion here: I would include harmony a bit earlier. I think I heard percussion (tom) in the background at the beginning, but it was hard to hear. That certainly lends to the Gaelic feel of this piece. Nice start - this will make a fun piece for a spring concert.

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Hi Mitch,

You put me in a Gaelic mood (and there is another joyful jig in the LS now). How nice! I like the tune very much.

A few little remarks though. Could you brighten up the ambience (convolution) a bit? It seems so 'dark' for such a light hearted little dance. And maybe the continuous fifths in the accompaniment could be in another range (mid register of clarinets)?

Thanks for sharing this lovely dance.

Max

Hi, Mitch - Thanks much for this happy music. As Max pointed out, we seem to be unexpectedly be in a Gaelic mode here in the LR - and that's fine with me!

Bill asked about the barely discernible percussion at the beginning (sounds like a muffled snare to me) and Max commented on the "darkness" of the reverb. Both pieces of feedback aren't surprising to me - they're addressing the same issues I had with the recording. Hope you don't mind, the technical aspects are what I want to talk about also.

#1 issue is the reverb. The primary reason it sounds "dark," as Max said, is that there is just far, far too much of it. --I think is Deja Vu, isn't it?--I think we've talked about this before on one of your threads. In any case, to have this much reverb on the recording is detracting from the musical performance. The arrangement isn't clearly heard, things get mushed together.

The other problem is balance in the mix. The reverb is helping to drown out the early percussion Bill was talking about, but that instrument is also just too low in the mix. There are other imbalances throughout.

Don't settle for the default reverb settings - And do use Convolution instead of Ambience, in case you haven't in this - the latter produces muddier results in general. But any kind of reverb will sound dark and heavy if used in excess, no matter how good the plugin. Start with a proportion of around 80% dry to 20% wet - adjust until it's sounding reasonably "live" and not drowning in reverb.

Anyway - I did enjoy the music, Mitch - Max and Bill's posts just inspired me to urge you to make adjustments in your reverb usage. Your music will benefit greatly if you do!

Randy

Nice piece, Mitch!

I like the piece, the orchestration, and the thin >>>Thick>>>thin development. I do agree with the reverb and mixing comments. Since you already have your piece this well developed musically, it wouldn't be a huge undertaking to redo the mix and really elevate it to something special.

Thanks for posting it!

Frank

Ok, I give! I rerecorded it again with less reverb. Maybe not enough to please everyone but then...beauty is in the ear of the listener, right? Just kidding. Yes, I know I over do the reverb as that is not something I pay that much attention to. I am so used to listening to high school bands playing in their gym that I have a tendency to ignore too much reverb. Please take another listen and see if I've gotten closer to the norm here. However, now I'm afraid I've introduced some fuzziness to the sound (around the 1:16 mark) and I don't know where that came from so back to the drawing board...(or my headphones are starting to fail me... )
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

I'll drink to that song. Guinness, not less.

Sláinte

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    I'll drink to that song. Guinness, not less.

Sláinte

Raymond
    I would be happy to join you and Mitch! And everybody in this thread.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manthe View Post
    Ok, I give! I rerecorded it again with less reverb...
    Instantly better, Mitch! Now it sounds like we're not in a school gymnasium.

I don't have the earlier version to compare to, but it seems like the volume dropped substantially. It also seems like the arrangement is thinner in the first half - that could be because the reverb is down now, or maybe you didn't have all lines turned on? Probably the former, not the latter.

I didn't hear the distortion you're mentioning. But renderings should become less "fuzzy," not more fuzzy when reverb is tamed. Perhaps if I did a more critical listening - time's short right now, just wanted you to know I think this is basically an improved recording, though it's lower in volume.

Randy

Ah, much better. I can hear all the lines now. Pass me one of them Guiness's!
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast