• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: PMI Bosendorfer Demo - Strange artifacts.

Share/Bookmark

PMI Bosendorfer Demo - Strange artifacts.

The PMI Bosendorfer demo featured in the latest issue of Music Tech Magazine has a worrying quirk. On every E natural and E flat note there is what sounds like a sequence of telephone dial tones. The sound occurs after the natural diminuendo of the piano note. I\'ve looked at it in Kontakt - it\'s a row of nine tones occuring on all e samples across the map. The demo is sampled at two velocities (mf, ff), and the \"phone tones\" are only present on a velocity range of 1 - 66 (the mf samples). I imported the Giga version into Kontakt, and they\'re present there too.

Can someone tell me what the hell\'s going on? Michiel? Anyone? This is very odd.

Re: PMI Bosendorfer Demo - Strange artifacts.

Originally posted by Not Dudley Simpson:
    The PMI Bosendorfer demo featured in the latest issue of Music Tech Magazine has a worrying quirk. On every E natural and E flat note there is what sounds like a sequence of telephone dial tones. The sound occurs after the natural diminuendo of the piano note. I\'ve looked at it in Kontakt - it\'s a row of nine tones occuring on all e samples across the map. The demo is sampled at two velocities (mf, ff), and the \"phone tones\" are only present on a velocity range of 1 - 66 (the mf samples). I imported the Giga version into Kontakt, and they\'re present there too.

Can someone tell me what the hell\'s going on? Michiel? Anyone? This is very odd.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">not dudley,
    The link above is about an old problem with the original full Bosendorfer discs, not what you\'re looking for.
    What you are finding is deliberate and is mentioned in the small print about 4 pages into the mag....

\" On some smaple endings there is a dtmf scramble after the ending - users may experience a small artifact when holding chords for a prolonged time\"

I have no idea why they did this as it\'s easy to remove in the Giga editor, maybe Michael will comment.

You will also find the DTMF on all the lower dynamic \"A\" note samples and you\'ll find a#1 is tuned incorrectly (it\'s B1).
    Finally, It sounds like it\'s all Pedal up samples which is a little strange to play?
    Still sounds like a nice piano though.

Brian

Thanks Noenoeil, but the thread actually raises even more questions. The tones I\'m getting are dial-out tones, rather than incoming ring tones. They\'re quite loud too. Does the fact that the sound occurs across the whole range of the keyboard mean that only one E note was sampled and then pitch-shifted across the whole piano compass? If so, why isn\'t the dial-tone pitch-shifted? It remains at the same pitch whatever octave it is found.

Thanks Brian. It\'s an odd little bundle for sure, and I agree that it\'s a nice taste of the full Bosendorfer. But the presence of dial-tones is still a bit worrying. Afterall, we\'re talking about something which implies a dialler worm - or am I being paranoid? An explanation would set my Duchovny-esque anxieties to rest.

Originally posted by Not Dudley Simpson:
    Thanks Brian. It\'s an odd little bundle for sure, and I agree that it\'s a nice taste of the full Bosendorfer. But the presence of dial-tones is still a bit worrying. Afterall, we\'re talking about something which implies a dialler worm - or am I being paranoid? An explanation would set my Duchovny-esque anxieties to rest.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Not dudley,
    Too much X-files, you\'re being paranoid [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    The dial tones are deliberate, I assume to stop people using it in a recording and nudge them toward buying the full version. This would be fine if it was a demo but it was advertised on the mag as \"Free grand piano\"?
    It\'s easy to edit all this out in an audio editor, but you\'ll still end up wanting the full version for longer sustain, more layers etc.

Brian

Paranoid. Me? Paranoid? Who? Me?!!??

I was planning to get the Bosen anyway. Maybe it\'ll come with a full Gamelan ensemble chiming in the background. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers.

a dialler worm ?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">!!! [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Yummie!

The DTFM tone was added deliberatly on several notes, and also all samples were shortened to about 5 seconds. And we only used two layers. And there is one microphone perspective. It\'s all written in the magazine.

This makes this Special Edition piano playable but if you want to use it in a professional environment I would strongly suggest doing the obvious thing; buy the full library and get the additional microphone perpective, get the long samples, get the samples without these artifacts, get 18 instead of 2 layers and have access to the GRANDIOSO FX software. Also buying the full product gives you additional discounts on all our products.

This Music Tech piano is a teaser, we want people to have a good reason to buy the real thing, but also get their hands on a good impression of how the real thing sounds.

Hope you enjoy the piano.

\"This Music Tech piano is a teaser, we want people to have a good reason to buy the real thing, but also get their hands on a good impression of how the real thing sounds.\"

Consider me teased, Michiel. It\'s a good demo - better than the bundled piano that came with my sampler. I look forward to getting the complete instrument. Meantime, if I have the guts, I might hold my phone to the speaker as the phone-tones play. I wonder who or what might be on the other end of the line.... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Cheers to all. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

...it\'s our company phone number...

Go Back to forum