• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best String Lib (mini) to cram into a Kurz 2500????

Share/Bookmark

Best String Lib (mini) to cram into a Kurz 2500????

I have been asked by a friend to do the synth programming for a new broadway show.

Strings sounds are of primary importance.

Any use of giga is out of the question. You guys would not believe how technically behind broadway is. (and I am secretly glad about that as the guys who have attempted using \"virtual orchestras\" have not done so with the latest and greatest libs)(we all continue to have jobs as a result)

Kurz 2500\'s are standard and what I will have to use.

Any opinions about which mini version of a string lib to use would be much appreciated.
    I have less than 2 weeks to accomplish this.

you guys rule.

Re: Best String Lib (mini) to cram into a Kurz 2500????

Ed, GOS now has a 3-CD set in Kurzweil native format.

Thanks Peter.

I was hoping to hear from guys who own either the garritan mini or SiSS mini.

But it seems everyone hear (myself included) are addicted to the big libs!

Thanks again.

My apologies. I misread what you posted. I have heard the GOS Mini but only in Giga and Akai versions. If you own GOS, you can do a quick \"demo\" by going to the lite versions in the full library. The Mini is made up of the lite versions.

There is also another alternative, but not as inexpensive. The Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Strings were natively programmed for the K2000.

Originally posted by peter269:
    There is also another alternative, but not as inexpensive. The Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Strings were natively programmed for the K2000.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I work mainly in broadway-style arrangements - some live keyboard, some prerecorded. I\'ve been using Kirk Hunter strings for 2 years with my K2600. They have a great, warm sound that fits very well in broadway arrangements. They also have some smaller-size ensembles that I tend to prefer for musical theatre. (8 violins as an alternative to the 14, 2 cellos, 2 violas). The full-size sections are also great, but sometimes too fat if the rest of your ensemble is smaller. There are some great combined string section patches. Because it was programmed for the Kurz, you can get a great sound out of the box with KDFX, plus the file sizes work very well with 128 megs.

The biggest weakness of the library is the bass section, which is limited to a 5-piece section, and is weak in terms of articulations and multi-samples. I actually use the solo bass from Synclavier instead. It\'s old, but fits nicely in terms of program size and the sound is not too bad.

The other thing that some people don\'t like is the overall style. KH strings are very warm, have quite a bit of vibrato, and are \"pop\"ish. I happen to think this works exceptionally well for musical theatre. I even used this library for a production of Sweeney Todd, which is very string-heavy, with great success.

They are a bit more expensive, but the native programming is great for the Kurz, and you can probably get them for considerably less than list if you shop around.

If you have any questions or want to hear an example from Sweeney, please let me know.

Leo Wolfe
    leo@leowolfe.com

I just converted my Miroslav Vitous Violin Ensemble disc over to Giga yesterday, and was quite pleasently surprised on how good they still sound. All of those banks are LESS than 8 megs a piece. I liked the pitz samples MUCH better than the Garritan Lite versions actually. For 8 megs, they still hold up, but as usual, they didn\'t have the sheer depth of the new libraries. It\'s pricey though. The Violins alone are $349, and the full Strings Ensemble is still $799. Those prices haven\'t moved since they came out it seems still, except for the \'motherload\' library. I still think for their price TODAY, they are a ripoff, but you gotta do what you gotta do, so they should do in a pinch for you, and they are in native Kurz format as well.

Devon

Thanks for the input guys!
    Very helpfull as always.

This place rules!

Hiya Ed -
    I will also recommend GOS lite. I have the GIGA version and it has a great selection of articulations, adapts well to different reverb units, etc...

Can you say what show you are working on?

Leo - could I hear the Sweeney demo? I\'m a huge fan of that show and would love to hear what sample libraries can do for it!

if you want to email it to me, please do so at this addy:
    zquarles@ravensoft.com

Go Back to forum