• Register
  • Help

Topic: Newbie Needs Help :)

Share/Bookmark

Newbie Needs Help :)

Hi everyone [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I would like to put together a somewhat inexpensive sample set for scoring.
    Here is what I have on my shopping list.

Strings: Ultimate Strings
    Brass: SAM Horns
    Woodwinds: Westgate
    Voice: Diva
    Piano: Giga Piano

Sound okay? Any suggestions?

Thank you
    Nicola

Re: Newbie Needs Help :)

Hi Nicola,

Welcome along [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . Your list seems ok, but you may want to hold out for the Garritan Personal Orchestra (see posts in the forum) which should cover most of what you want to do - except Piano and Vocals (DIVA).

Tim

The library also contains a sampled Steinway Concert Grand Piano and a concert pipe organ.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">------------
    Alex Cremers

Not sure about Ultimate Strings. I think GOS Lite would be a better bet.

There\'s a lot to be said for Peter Siedlaczek Advanced Orchestra, especially the new version.

Gos Lite is great and relative easy to work with!

Listen to my pieces, I\'m using Gos Lite there.

NB. I\'m new Gos Lite user so there are room for much improvement from my behalf in sound, expression etc.

I have both SOV and DIVA. My opinion is for \"Voice\", I would recommend the Symphony of Voices as your FIRST sample set.

Yes, it costs more at $399 but it\'s gonna be worth it.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I would query Gary Garritan about his upcoming Garritan Personal Orchestra, as has already been mentioned. He has not mentioned a release date as far as I know, but since it\'s getting listed in college catalogs as a required resource for course work, it can\'t be long in arriving.

That way, you\'re spending a lot less to get an overall palette, and you can hang onto some cash and plan your subsequent purchases more strategically. It sounds like exactly what you\'d need as a student.

First and foremost,

Thank you for all the help. School has been madness – sorry for getting back online so late.

“I would query Gary Garritan about his upcoming Garritan Personal Orchestra, as has already been mentioned. He has not mentioned a release date as far as I know, but since it\'s getting listed in college catalogs as a required resource for course work, it can\'t be long in arriving.”

Where do I find out about this? I visited the website but could not find.

A Personal Orchestra? That really sounds interesting.

_____

“I have both SOV and DIVA. My opinion is for \"Voice\", I would recommend the Symphony of Voices as your FIRST sample set.

Yes, it costs more at $399 but it\'s gonna be worth it.”

Well, I am sure that “SOV” is great but I need vocals and I really cannot afford that.
    I hope you are wrong about Diva cuz I just placed an order with them.

_____

Ultimate Orchestra Percussion for xmas. Yippy

Thank you all so much for the help. Back to work.

NH

Hi Nicola,

You won\'t find anything really on the net yet about the Garritan Personal Orchestra. Someone on these forums found a reference to it in some literature for Berklee listing it as required materials for some courses.

I\'m sure that there will be an announcement soon though. Take Bruce\'s advice and contact Garritan directly to inquire about a release date. For someone on a budget, it may be just the thing (although no one has heard it yet).

I also own Diva. It is very good IMHO. However, for someone starting out who doesn\'t own any other choir samples, you may find that it falls short. It has some great female solo voices on it but there are no male voices and none of the samples are of choirs - just single voices.

Don\'t take this as a diss on DIVA. I am really enjoying DIVA and plan on listing my thoughts on it here soon. The voices don\'t really get above mezzo-forte but are very beautiful sounding and excellent for setting certain moods from scarey and suspenseful to sweet and beautiful. In that way, they can be a powerful tool.

I don\'t think that you\'ll regret buying it in the long run. I don\'t think that there is anything like it. SOV contains some solo voices but I don\'t believe it has as much solo vocal as DIVA. At this point though, since money is tight, it may not give you what you\'re looking for.

HTH and good luck,
    FV

Hi Nicola,

Also, if you\'re unable to wait for GPO and go with separate libraries, I also concur with others that you should check out other string libraries. Going with a GOS Mini or SISS Mini will probably give you better results than the Ultimate Strings set IMHO.
    HTH,
    FV

Go Back to forum