• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: I took the GOS "slow and quiet" challenge, here are the results

Share/Bookmark

I took the GOS "slow and quiet" challenge, here are the results

Another forum user stated that GOS was great for short note tricks.. which it is. The aggressive short bows are awesome. But they said when things got slow and quiet, there are problems and it takes work to get it right. I had some free time this evening so I threw this together. It took absolutely no work besides composing it of course. Beyond that, there is no tweaking of any kind, just a little bow noise thrown in.

1st/2nd violins, violas, cellos, and basses. All are tender sordinos except the 2nd violins (no sordinos available), so I just used the tender susV EXP sample.

http://www.samhulick.com/TenderSordinos.mp3

And check this out.. just the basses, cellos, and violas. Man, that sordino viola section is tasty! If you put on headphones or use ref. speakers, you should be able to better hear the bow noise in this one.

http://www.samhulick.com/TenderSordinosLow.mp3

PS: By the way, if these clips suck, try not to ridicule me too much. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Re: I took the GOS "slow and quiet" challenge, here are the results

Sounds fairly nice, although it also sounds like the musicians are in a tunnel [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Maybe go a bit easier on the reverb?

It ALSO sounds like there\'s a serious lowpass filter on the mix?

Thomas

The low strings sound decent, but the violins sound as bad as my old Roland Sound Canvas. I think this is just further proof that GOS is pretty subpar compared to everything else on the market. Very thin and synthy.

GOS is pretty subpar compared to everything else on the market. Very thin and synthy.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">So you\'d prefer your Sound Canvas then?

Don\'t blame the tools blame the carpenter. There\'s a reason that GOS is being used by many major composers for major projects in film/tv/games etc.

Scott.

Thomas: Don\'t know about the lowpass. Those are the tender samples, so I\'m not sure how those were processed. I do know the warm samples have a low pass, but I never use those (that\'s actually why I never use them).

Just for kicks, here\'s a version without reverb:
    http://www.samhulick.com/TenderSordinosDry.mp3

vault: Like a lot of other users, I use the detache samples a lot. The susV and other samples sound a bit better with some EQ\'ing (like Doyle\'s Hollywood Strings EQ).

sub par?

to AO? to US? you\'ve got to be kidding.

Its not the perfect library for every occasion, but its not sub par. In fact its set some standards if I\'m not mistaken.

besides its all personal taste.

Anyhow. I haven\'t listened yet SAM, and probably wont. I dont Think GOS is all that great for soft stuff.

It can be done, but does take some work IMO. Even with the Tender stuff. Still it can be done.

With the newest update tho, it should be a bit easier with the actual Hollywood strings samples (one of my new favorites, but I\'m biased with regards to these [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ).

IMO the best library out there for soft stuff is SI, VSL a very close second (I personally love the piano samples, and cant wait for sordino). GOS does the \"huge\" thing alot better than the other two if you ask me. No one did of course, but oh well.

OK, have a listen to this:

http://www.samhulick.com/GOS_susV_gsus.mp3

The first passage is the 1st Vln SusV EXP, the second is the 1st Vln Grand Sus EXP.

I\'m also posting this in Sonar and MIDI formats. I encourage others to download this and record this with other string libraries (SI, VSL, etc). Be sure to use a sample that uses modwheel expression, and post the results here.

http://www.samhulick.com/GOS_susV_gsus.zip

check this out Sam

http://www.musicyouneed.com/2040/fullstringsKItest.mp3

its just me toying around with one of the new patches

mind you its me playing in realtime, and I\'m not so good at piano....as you can see when I cant get some simple inversions and chromatic movements right [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">GOS is pretty subpar compared to everything else on the market. Very thin and synthy.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">So you\'d prefer your Sound Canvas then?

Don\'t blame the tools blame the carpenter. There\'s a reason that GOS is being used by many major composers for major projects in film/tv/games etc.

Scott.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Maybe I wouldn\'t prefer my Sound Canvas, but I would definitely prefer Miroslav over GOS. Even though it is old, it is much more expressive than GOS. GOS just seems very thin (partially due to how it was recorded) and not a single demo has ever impressed me. It just seems so synthy, especially for something that is only a few years old. When GOS is used, I can tell. I\'ve heard it in a lot of commercials. Just because a bunch of composers use it, doesn\'t mean that I\'ll have to think it\'s good.

I know two people that have purchased it, and they are pretty disappointed with it\'s sound.

The Detache samples are pretty much the only thing I liked about it. It didn\'t even have staccato!! C\'mon! I don\'t know if they\'ve added it in any updates, but when my friend bought it, then only thing close to staccato was this wimpy short string sound with almost no attack. I can\'t remember what it was called.

The library had plenty of good ideas (i.e. the maestro tools), but the end result just came out sounding pretty disappointing in my opinion. If you could point me to a demo that uses ONLY GOS and sounds really good, please do point me to it as I\'d like to hear if great sounding strings are possible with it, but when I tried it out, it was hard to make things sound good. With SI, for example, very little effort is expended in making a rich, expressive string section.

I take it you dont like what I jsut posted, in terms of sound. Its just GOS, granted its in the newest update [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I\'m sure it could be better, but its just playing in realtime.

Go Back to forum