• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using the Distributed Wave Function

Share/Bookmark

Re: Using the Distributed Wave Function

Let me correct my request. I understand how to assign the wavs to keys. Is there an easy way to take a single wav and assign it so it plays at different pitches across the keyboard easiliy??

Thanks,

COlin

only in the giga editor.

Distributed wave is more for playing back waves as they are.

It can be used to trigger bounces you\'ve done with capture to wave, so you dont stress you sequencer\'s audio engine.

Using the Distributed Wave Function

Could someone explain the basic operation of this function?? I\'m trying to load up 8 different buzzing sounds and map them across the keyboad so I can play an insect melody for a commercial spot. I\'m assuming dis. wav is the way to do this but I\'ve never used this before.

Thanks

Colin

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by scores4film:
    Could someone explain the basic operation of this function?? I\'m trying to load up 8 different buzzing sounds and map them across the keyboad so I can play an insect melody for a commercial spot. I\'m assuming dis. wav is the way to do this but I\'ve never used this before.

Thanks

Colin
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hey Colin,

You can use Distributed Wave to do the basic auditioning. Ashif\'s post explains the basics. However, you CAN, once you\'ve collected the waveforms, use Distributed Wave to convert those to a GIG file. Then, just open the GIG file in the editor, and change the base pitch of your mapped \"buzzes.\"

Mapping this way with Distributed Wave sets up some nice parameters...for instance, you\'ll notice that the MOD wheel becomes a fairly radical filter adjustment. If you look on the MIDI controllers page, you\'ll see how other controllers get hooked up in Distributed Wave.

The whole idea behind Distributed Wave was that a person could go onto a mix soundstage, plug in a network cable, and immediately access every foley sound in the house, being able to instantly search, map, and play them to picture.

For instance, if you were doing sound design on an interior scene where someone opens the door and closes it, you could have the sound of outdoor ambience loaded, with the mod wheel up fairly high while the door was \"closed\" on picture. As the door opens, you roll the mod wheel down to let that detail \"leak\" in, and you roll back up as it shuts, to get the impression of ambient noise occluded by the walls and door. Add your open and close cues, and you\'re done.

And when the session is done, you archive the session by turning all the SFX into a GIG file, which you could reload in an instant if the editors made changes and needed you to come clean up after them.

VERY handy stuff, and very under-appreciated technology!! There are not many samplers that can search through the entire Hollywood Effects library in a matter of less than a second.

Go Back to forum