• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: OT: Giga vs Kontakt

Share/Bookmark

OT: Giga vs Kontakt

Is kontakt really better? I wonder if I should switch... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] I\'d be glad to hear any opinion from you,
    thanks,
    Markus.

Re: OT: Giga vs Kontakt

Me too... I have GS32 (bought at Mars liquidation sale), and I\'m thinking if I should upgrade to GS96, or just get Kontakt.

People, convince me. Should I stay with GS, or should I go with Kontakt for my next purchase. What are your experiences?

I already have lots of stuff in the hardware department... Mackie mixer, Triton LE, Roland XV-5080, Yamaha DX7, Roland JV-1080, RNC compressor, Lexicon MPX-550 reverb, ART DPS preamp, and Roland SDE-330 delay.

On the software side, Sonar 2.2XL, Gigastudio 32, and Sound Forge 6.0.

I\'ve read that for the same PC setup, running Kontakt will allow you to have multiple instances and therefore, have more \"voices\" and it can run as a DXi within Sonar. That sounds attractive to me.

But on the other hand, libraries are developed for GS and Kontakt\'s implementation of Giga compatibility may not be perfect.

I really don\'t know about Giga versus kontakt--at least in the future. Giga 3.0 is supposedly in store for the near future. So I am planning on waiting to see before I make the switch.

I really wonder if Giga 3 will be as versatile as Kontakt, i mean, if you will be able to use it as dxi, vsti, standalone etc... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Kontakt 1.3 should be out soon(within a month??).Maybe download the DEMO and test drive the most flexible VST sampler there is. Rich

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

What is it with you guys and \"switching?\"

Use BOTH!!!!!

This thing of \"waiting\" to see what is going to happen is nuts. You could be dead by then. Kontakt is a cool sampler. If you want to use it, buy it. It\'s great, and reasonably priced. You\'ll pay for it on the first job.

You will want Giga 3, too...to borrow a phrase from my good pal Ron Kuper, everyone\'s expecting Giga to \"zig,\" and I think people are going to be very surprised at the way they\'ve \"zagged.\" So why this talk about switching? Once you\'ve licensed a software app, it\'s very cheap to stay on the upgrade path. One does not preclude the other.

At the risk of sounding rather Charltonesque, you\'d have to pry either one from my cold dead fingers. They are both excellent tools, with radically different approaches. Neither is \"best.\" You can\'t dial up a distortion matrix in Giga. You can\'t stream 160 voices at 7% CPU in Kontakt. Nothing is \"best.\" If you\'re stuck in that mindset, break free!!

Well, I downloaded the Kontakt PC demo last night. Played with it as a stand alone and as a DX plugin in Sonar. WOW!

I like that I can have 5 or 10 instruments all playing at once in 1 instance, and have another instance playing a different set of instruments... and everything accessible within Sonar\'s interface. So far, it seemed to have imported the Giga files without any problems.

COMMENT: Is it just me, or are the text in Kontakt is too small? I tried the largest screen setting and they\'re still too small. Is it the software or I\'m getting old?

@Rich Pell
    Oh ok, you\'re right, could have thought about it on my own... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Very good idea the demo, I\'ll try it!

@Bruce,
    hehe, exellent post, as usual [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] !

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Owel:
    Well, I downloaded the Kontakt PC demo last night. Played with it as a stand alone and as a DX plugin in Sonar. WOW!

I like that I can have 5 or 10 instruments all playing at once in 1 instance, and have another instance playing a different set of instruments... and everything accessible within Sonar\'s interface. So far, it seemed to have imported the Giga files without any problems.

COMMENT: Is it just me, or are the text in Kontakt is too small? I tried the largest screen setting and they\'re still too small. Is it the software or I\'m getting old?
    [/QUOTE}]

Owel..yes.The text is too small.One of those annoying grafical overlooks.Actually its a NI thing .On all there GUI the text is too small.Hopefully they`ll one day remedy this..Peace Rich

I\'ve been testing this really cool new library in Kontakt for the past few months using Sonar 2.2 as my sequencer. I really like being able to load the instances of Kontakt and the samples when I load in the piece I\'m working on. I\'ve been loading the piece with 8 instances of Kontakt with almost 1 GB of samples in 30 seconds. That\'s 128 MIDI channels and 200 stereo voices on a P4 2.4 GHz machine. This is about maxed out on that machine. Talk about getting to work fast. The Giga machine has basically been sitting doing nothing although I started using Kontakt on that one lately.

There is a couple bugs in Kontakt 1.2.1 that I have run into. First is that there are tempo change issues with the DXi version. I\'ve been running the VST version lately as it has very few problems and the same performance as the DXi. The 2nd problem has to do with General Options being applied to all instances.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast