• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Solo Violin with Faux Rock Band Continuo

Share/Bookmark

Solo Violin with Faux Rock Band Continuo

:-)

Felt like doing something other than orchestral stuff with the solo violin so here ya go.

http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/JamminSoloVln.mp3

Best,
    Kirk Hunter

Re: Solo Violin with Faux Rock Band Continuo

Very nice, Kirk. I\'m enjoying mine, but I just got back from a recording session with Jerry Goodman (Mahavishnu, the Dregs); he was doing something that I\'d like to use, but I don\'t know what it\'s called:

Sustained notes using more of the edge of the bow to generate higher and higher overtones (more like a high-pass filter effect, not simple harmonics.)

A very cool effect...

Dasher

Hmmm.. I\'d have to hear that to get a clue as to go about recording it.

Kirk

I have to say, that was pretty darn cool. Just wondering: was the room ambience in the sample or added in the mix?

I added some ambience after the fact, and even chorused the solo part

hello kirk

I\'m enjoying the solo strings very much.

Any guess on when we\'ll get some more articulations?

And when the final versions will be done?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Lee Blaske:

Dasher, some of the Mahavishnu stuff I\'ve heard in the past achieved the tone through amplification and/or efx. Are you sure that wasn\'t what you were hearing?

Lee Blaske
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No, he\'s talking about a particular sound some violin players use...my friend and great collaborator Wynne uses that same sound, I know exactly what he\'s talking about. It\'s about halfway to a harmonic sound, but occurring on the fundamental--the difference being the timbre produced by the bowing. Old school gypsy improvisors use it, too, that\'s where Wynne copped it.

what\'s projected release date and will this be part of a bigger solo strings library?

Originally posted by Marty:
    what\'s projected release date and will this be part of a bigger solo strings library?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It\'s taking longer than I thought, but that\'s because I\'m so picky about the recordings. The whole thing should be done (aside from the printed info booklets) in a couple weeks, maybe less. Yes, there will be lots more such as trills tremolos and some FX too.

It\'s about halfway to a harmonic sound, but occurring on the fundamental--the difference being the timbre produced by the bowing. Old school gypsy improvisors use it, too,
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sounds right on the money, Bruce. I was hoping somebody knew what the technique is called, I\'ll have to ask Jerry when I send my updated reference tracks in for him to record. Jean-Luc Ponty does the same thing, it\'s a great effect.

In the meanwhile, can\'t wait for the rest of the lib, Kirk...

Dasher

Go Back to forum