• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Final Fantasy V - Parting Sorrow (Tragedy 2012)

Share/Bookmark

Final Fantasy V - Parting Sorrow (Tragedy 2012)

This is the third arrangement I did for this composition. In this one I wanted it to be as humanized as possible. Most of my work is usually perfect timing and little dynamics. Therefore, I decided to do the opposite for this one. I worked on the timing, dynamics, etc... as if it were a human playing it. It's not so robotic

Instrument Libraries Used:
    - Garritan Instant Orchestra
    - EWQLSO Silver
    - Vienna Symphonic Choir

NOTE: despite the trumpet and choir everything else is Garritan Instant Orchestra. This library is truly a great library to work with. It sounds expensive, but yet it is a reasonable price. GIO is still one of the best investments I have made in any libraries.

Original composition:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpbRyGVX4jE

My Arrangement:

Re: Final Fantasy V - Parting Sorrow (Tragedy 2012)

This does sound more relaxed than some of your other works. It has a nice gentle sorrowful mood to it. I like it very much. Thanks for sharing. Jay

A very beautiful arrangement: soft and sweet, a good flow, nice harp and trumpet.

One little remark though: (could be my equipment) I hear most of the sounds mainly on the right channel, there's hardly anything left.

Thanks for sharing!

Max

Once again, you certainly demonstrate how effectively you're working with the tools you have, Richard. This is lush and very pretty.

I'm glad to hear you say that GIO is one of the best investments you've made in music software. That Library really does offer a lot to musicians like yourself who are working in these more pop genres rather than ones who are doing emulative re-creations of classical music, or are composing for orchestras and bands. Actually, I think the more classically trained musicians could also get good use from GIO, in a different way, if they understood the Library could be used to more easily up the size and impact of their recordings. I think it's the word "Instant" in the Library's name that puts them off, mistakenly thinking the Library is a collection of loops and that maybe it even does some computerized composing for them--which of course isn't the case.

I'm not sure why Max heard things primarily in the right channel - Max, sounds like you may have had a temporary glitch going on in your playback system. The dominant harp and trumpet are both towards the left. The choir sounds center. The strings are all on the right, and I think those could have been mirrored on the left to give a more full, cinematic sound, Richard. I think they're all on the right because you're using low strings which by default are panned right. You could experiment with having another IO string patch playing the same part, panned to the left.

Thanks for the post.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Once again, you certainly demonstrate how effectively you're working with the tools you have, Richard. This is lush and very pretty.

I'm glad to hear you say that GIO is one of the best investments you've made in music software. That Library really does offer a lot to musicians like yourself who are working in these more pop genres rather than ones who are doing emulative re-creations of classical music, or are composing for orchestras and bands. Actually, I think the more classically trained musicians could also get good use from GIO, in a different way, if they understood the Library could be used to more easily up the size and impact of their recordings. I think it's the word "Instant" in the Library's name that puts them off, mistakenly thinking the Library is a collection of loops and that maybe it even does some computerized composing for them--which of course isn't the case.

I'm not sure why Max heard things primarily in the right channel - Max, sounds like you may have had a temporary glitch going on in your playback system. The dominant harp and trumpet are both towards the left. The choir sounds center. The strings are all on the right, and I think those could have been mirrored on the left to give a more full, cinematic sound, Richard. I think they're all on the right because you're using low strings which by default are panned right. You could experiment with having another IO string patch playing the same part, panned to the left.

Thanks for the post.

Randy
    You're right, Randy. I listened a second time this evening and the balance was a lot better, though not perfect. I still hear more on the left side, but it looks all right now. Maybe the audio plug was not fully in place this afternoon.

Max

Thanks for the feedback guys! The main instruments are bit to the left, I just checked too! After listening and making it for long duration of times it kind of sounds in place with my ears. Taking break and then listening it is when I could tell the difference. I would have panned the trumpet more to the right. I believer your suggestion about the strings could also improve the cinematic feel.

It sounds lush and cinematic to me with good flow. I'm not sure if your trying to set up the instruments like an orchestra but I guess for soundtrack work what ever works for balance and over all effect will determine that. The trumpets are a little to the right in an orchestra but I saw a production of the Messiah this week end which had the cornets on the extreme far left for practical purposes and it sounded fine to me.

Good work!

Phil

Thanks for the feedback fastlane,

I noticed today that when listening to it on regular monitoring speakers it sounds fine, but when I put on my headphones the sound is definitely not balanced. I really don't know why my ears did not pick up on this while mixing it on monitor speakers. I am using M-Audio speakers to compose. "I think I should start composing with these headphones, they seem to be bit more reliable (JVC S600)." They seem to capture quite a bit of frequency and the bass is awesome. They also seem to cancel out other noises (which was not stated on the packaging). Garr... I am having much doubt with these M-Audio speakers.

Yeah!! What else to say? It sounds fine for me and I liked the flow of the melody and use of instruments.
    Since you are on the right track now with your "humanization" stuff, I reckon that you are fit (skilled) enough making a complete CD with this "mood" music. In this rather "upset" world with lots and lots of ups and downs, this can be the next "Vangelis" CD (I had a CD of Vangelis, but somehow lost it). Sometimes let the melody just what it is and write musical moods, soundclusters I mean, then the melodu will emerge automatically. You have the drive for it, I am sure.

Thank you for posting,

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    ...I noticed today that when listening to it on regular monitoring speakers it sounds fine, but when I put on my headphones the sound is definitely not balanced. I really don't know why my ears did not pick up on this while mixing it on monitor speakers...I am having much doubt with these M-Audio speakers.
    Hello again, Richard

You need to know that it's debatable if the balance is "off" in this recording. Raymond didn't notice anything that bothered him, and Fastlane wasn't really commenting on what he thought was an imbalance. It's confusing what Max was referring to because at first he said he was hearing things primarily in the right channel, but later said he hears more on the left - And he mentioned his audio plug must have not been all the way in during his first listen, since the balance sounded better when he listened again.

When I was trying to understand what the issue was about balance, I commented that the strings are primarily on the right, suggesting that it's because you're using strings in the cello range which are almost always panned to the right. And I commented that you could having more strings layered in on the left so they'd be more full, and the recording would have a more even balance.

When recordings have a definite imbalance, it's something that really sticks out and most people hear. That's not the case here.

SO - You're fretting too much over some feedback which really hasn't been very clear.

Your new post is what inspired me to write again. You said you're questioning how good your M-Audio speakers are. I can pretty much guarantee you there's nothing wrong with them. It would have to be a really horrible pair of speakers that don't give you the basic aural picture of a recording, panning being a basic ingredient. Cheaper speakers can blur the stereo image some since all frequencies can have a grainy lack of clarity to them. But M-Audio is a well respected company making very decent speakers. I feel it would be rather impossible for them to be cloaking your signal so much that you can't hear your panning properly.

Headphones will always give you a much wider sound than speakers. With phones, you have two small speakers strapped to your head, totally separated from each other. Each ear is literally and strictly only hearing what's in one channel. So what you're hearing is the gigantic, full stereo spectrum. But when you're listening in a room over speakers, both ears are hearing audio from both speakers and blending them together. There's no way you'll ever hear the same, exaggerated stereo spread like you do on phones. If you moved the speakers extremely far apart to opposite walls, each speaker pointed directly at one of your ears, you would get closer to the headphone sound, but it still wouldn't be as stark.

Here's a diagram of the ideal positioning for speakers in a home recording studio:

The two speakers and your head are very logically the three points of a triangle, and the speakers are turned slightly in towards you. You can easily find "the sweet spot" by moving yourself slightly until you can feel out the very center of a recording. Only when you're monitoring like that are you hearing everything as it should be heard.

But even when you have your speakers properly placed, the stereo panning will be blurred, you'll never pinpoint locations of sounds the way you can on headphones.

In other words - relax. Your recording is fine. If you want to fill things out more, of course you can do that. Currently you have some things towards the left, some towards the right some at center - and all of that is as it should be. If you feel the basic stereo image is unintentionally lopsided, then of course you can correct that, and headphones would be the way to more precisely get the sound you want. Then just double check that the music still sounds good on your (properly placed) speakers.

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast