• Register
  • Help

Topic: Made In The USA

Share/Bookmark

Made In The USA

I read that Apple Inc. is going to assemble one of their Mac lines totally in the states. They are already assembling some of their new 2012/2013 iMacs here.

I'm sure it's going to be the promised "something special for the pros later in 2013" from the email response that Apple's CEO Tim Cook sent to a concerned Mac Pro user after a major uprising on Facebook because of no Mac Pro update news at Apple's WWDC conference last June.

It probably won't amount to a whole lot of jobs as manufacturing and assembly are becoming more and more automated and the pro Macs are becoming more of a niche product but it's something.

Phil

Re: Made In The USA

Speaking of computers. . . I was looking at the new Dell Precision Workstations today. The now have EIGHT-CORE processors now! For a wee bit more $$$$$, you can purchase an 8-Core Xs 2 Processor for a total of 16 cores!!

I have to wonder what Apple's new Mac Pros will be like. . . .
    I tell you, Apple's Mac Minis are worth a look. Especially the i7 processor Mac Minis, it seems that they would make really great "slave computers" for those large sequencing projects (using many GBs of instruments).

By the way, I believe that Dell Laptops and Desktop computers are manufactured in the US. In previous years, though, I spoke to Dell Support people who were located in India. Because of the minimal information that they could provide (at the time) and my difficulty in understanding their thick Indian accents, it was not a pleasant experience for me.
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Yes, sixteen cores is massive but remember that at least some of your software has to take advantage of them all or some of them will just goof off.

Here's a shoot out between a sixteen core PC video workstation and a the then current Mac Pros back in May before new pro models for 2013 were sort of announced. They are testing with After Effects and raw processor benching. The sixteen core is much faster here but if you tested them with a DAW application and some plug-ins the difference might be much less impressive. Getting your best bang for the buck these days takes some serious research wether you prefer a Mac or a PC.

http://www.barefeats.com/sandy01.html

By the way, I believe that Dell Laptops and Desktop computers are manufactured in the US
    Well, at least they use to be made in the good old USA. Maybe the electronic gadget plants will start to return to this country but there might not be too many humans inside of them. Read this NYT piece.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/1...ref=technology

I'm also curious what Apple will release in 2013. I have a 27" iMac but I think I could use the iMac screen as the monitor and the iMac as a sample slave for the pro Mac. If I'm feeling rich that is.

Phil

IMHO (as a developer who supports PCs and Macs)

- Macs might benefit from US construction, even if it is all or mostly automated, assuming that Apple's intent is to boost the quality of its hardware. I think too many manufacturers are building and/or assembling hardware overseas simply because they are going with the lowest bidder.

- 8 or 16 cores may be excessive now, but software will catch up. It always does. But you can get those 8 or 16 cores a lot cheaper if you wait until the software that can really take advantage of them actually exists. I try not to be an early adopter. Technology changes so fast, it's hardly worth the short term gain any more.

Allegro Data Solutions

Something I think all Daw and other Mac users would like to see is a scalable processor pro Mac. People have ranted about this for years but Apple just points to the iMacs as their solution for those who don't necessarily need pricey Xeon processors.

But having at least three fast internal drive bays sure beats having to daisy chain external hard drives. Something like this would cannibalize iMac sales but Apple would still make money and many users would probably opt for the Apple display as it is included with the pro macs with Apple's extended warranty.

I think this was something Steve Jobs was down on because of his fixation over producing locked down products that the user couldn't mess with very easily. His NeXT machine took this to the extreme and it was a real dud. It was such a ridiculous hardware concept but it did have great software that would eventually help save Apple from ruin. I looks like Tim Cook is much more pragmatic so I hope we'll see some movement here.

Phil

Go Back to forum