• Register
  • Help

Topic: QLRI - Duduk question...

QLRI - Duduk question...

Hi Nick or someone out there, I have a question about the Duduk samples in the R.I. library.

Is there a technique or some sort of easy way to make the Duduk be more up front in the mix and in its overall sound?

The manual recommends adding reverb and delay but if anything this seems to make it more distant.

I want to be able to play it as a solo instrument but despite all of the keyswitches I have tried it still seems to be very mellow.

Thanks, Scott.

Re: QLRI - Duduk question...

I knew something felt wrong about that instrument.. good thing I never ran out to buy QLRI without further research. I need a duduk that\'s very up front like in Gladiator.

Nick, would it be possible to get a demo .gig of the duduk to mess around with?

Just did a track with R.I. duduk and had no problem making it sound upfront/solo.
    I did add reverb and delay as well so i wouldn\'t say the instrument sounds 100% natural...

I need a duduk that\'s very up front like in Gladiator.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">- Lol Sam! One of the first things I did was load up the Duduk and attempt to play along with a couple of my fav Gladiator tracks. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It is a very beautifully sampled instrument but I just cant quite get that \"wah\" quality out of it that you hear Djivan play on \"Road to Zucchabah\" for example.

Sam, I feel it would be totally remiss of me to not mention that QLRI is worth every cent IMHO.

Actually, let me know if you want me to do a quick solo Duduk mock-up to give you an idea of the sound of the instrument on its own.

Cheers Scott.

I\'ve had some great luck using the duduk samples from both RI and World Winds. They are quite similar, but both seem to speak well to me.
    Tim Larkin

I think I mentioned this in the manual, but maybe not. You can ABSOLUTELY get that sound by cutting the lows, boosting the high mids 3-7K and adding reverb/ delay. Try it.

I\'ve had excellent results with Nick\'s Duduk. This instrument is extremely playable and I think it is very capable of producing the sound you\'re looking for. I think the instrument (real or sampled) absolutely needs \'verb. However, using delay will give you even more \"distance\" which is what your problem with the Instrument is to begin with. Instead, make certain that your composition has some room so that the Duduk can sit in the mix without competing. Also, like Uillean pipes, I think the Duduk can greatly benefit from a \'verb with fewer early reflections and a moderately long tail. Unfortunately, I\'ve not heard ILIO\'s library, but for me, Nick\'s works extremely well.

Hey all:

The duduk definitely needs reverb..even a real one. I\'ve played one before.. played dry, it sounds like a dying goose! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Add reverb, and then the magic begins.

The duduk is a blast to play in front of a mic, with the reverb cranked up, by the way. So if anyone ever approaches you on the street and asks, \"Hey, wanna play a duduk in front of a mic, with the reverb cranked up?\", say yes. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum