• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Snowdrops No.2

Share/Bookmark

Snowdrops No.2

I posted Snowdrops last early spring but I've done some arranging on it so I thought I would post it.

It uses the original Garritan Steinway and GIO with the addition of GPO 4 instruments. The waltz section uses the Miroslav Philharmonic solo violin and cello. The waltz section includes East West Spaces reverb and a little of Ik Multimedia's CSR Hall reverb combined. Just the CSR Hall reverb was used for the rest of this music.

This is fantasy music and is not an attempt to create an orchestral performance.

https://www.box.com/s/9ofdf9lcx2khkc0v55jj

Phil

Re: Snowdrops No.2

Hi Phil

With Christmas and New Year coming up, you put us directly into the right mood with this lovely piece. It has a sober, but effective and varied orchestration. Nice piano work!

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Max

Phil: You set a lovely mood with this piece! Did you consider a key change at around 1:49-1:50? Perhaps going to Ab or Eb? Nice work!

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

What a lovely piece to sit and listen to. It has a nice gentle easygoing feel to it. I thought that the waltz section was a very nice contrast. Thanks for this. Jay

Look, this is just the piece for "making it the day". After several runs thru part 3 of my symphony (setting the velocities of all tracks), letting loose that complicated rhythm and voicing, this is the one that gives me the mood for a healthy night sleep. Nice doing and thanks.

Raymond

Max,

With Christmas and New Year coming up, you put us directly into the right mood with this lovely piece. It has a sober, but effective and varied orchestration. Nice piano work!
    Yes, it does have a sort of winter holiday feel to it. This was originally called Rock Piano? It sure didn't end up that way but I'm glad you liked my piano playing.

Thanks for the positive comments!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by gogreen1 View Post
    Phil: You set a lovely mood with this piece! Did you consider a key change at around 1:49-1:50? Perhaps going to Ab or Eb? Nice work!

Art
    Hi Art,

Glad you liked it!

Yes, good suggestion about modulating. I'll try going down to the Ab on the waltz break. I can't go up easily because the violin is at the top of it's range already. Also I think I'll try varying the melody at :55 to create more interest.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    What a lovely piece to sit and listen to. It has a nice gentle easygoing feel to it. I thought that the waltz section was a very nice contrast. Thanks for this. Jay
    Hello Jay

Thank you for for the nice feed back.

The mini waltz is something I've had in my head for a long time so I decided this one would be a good place to use it.

Phil

Hey Raymond!

Look, this is just the piece for "making it the day". After several runs thru part 3 of my symphony (setting the velocities of all tracks), letting loose that complicated rhythm and voicing, this is the one that gives me the mood for a healthy night sleep. Nice doing and thanks.
    I don't envy you struggling with your huge work. It's probably like riding a dragon but I know it will be worth all your hard work.

I'm glad my music took you away for a few and into slumberville.

Phil

Very pretty, Phil! I've probably said this before when you post music, but I'll say it again - I wish you posted more often.

It's such a lovely main motif, and I admire the clean, appropriately modest arrangement. It sounds like something you may have composed late at night, not many lights on, you just focused and in the flow of creating this delicate and haunting mood. Nice work.

--I think I get a bit in trouble sometimes when I offer technical feedback - but, I hope you can tolerate a couple of observations I wanted to pass on about the recording:

To me, the violins are sounding detached from the rest of the recording, because they're so dry. Especially when considering the mood of this gentle waltz, I think they would sound more effective if they were rounded off, softened with reverb.

The other note's about the violins also - That patch is cutting off unnaturally at the end of the notes. Perhaps there's a control, like there is in ARIA for Garritan strings, to extend the length a bit, so the notes don't chop off the way they seem to. I felt the choppiness was interfering with the mood.

In any case, thanks again for posting this - Great to hear from you, Phil.

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast