• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Cakewalk humanizing?

Share/Bookmark

Cakewalk humanizing?

I got Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 for my sequencing. I wrote a tuba concerto piece in Finale, and translated it to Cakewalk. How can I \'humanize\' the piano part to get away from the quantized sound?

Re: Cakewalk humanizing?

Go to www.cakewalk.com and download a cal file called Humanizer... If its not on their page anymore, do a search for \"cakewalk cal files\" on google or something [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by A_Sapp:
    I got Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 for my sequencing. I wrote a tuba concerto piece in Finale, and translated it to Cakewalk. How can I \'humanize\' the piano part to get away from the quantized sound?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Actually play it?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I say that, because the Humanize cal is not the most \"human\" thing, either. It will just randomize values, not actually add anything resembling expression or musical intention. There are a few MIDI plugins, one by NTONYX, that claim to be capable of stylizing or humanizing a part, but I have yet to hear anything remotely musical come from their use.

Know any really hot chicks who play piano? Opportunity awaits...

I think the most beautiful midi files are the ones that are played in, not the ones that are put in note after note (sometimes of course this can also sound good).

There is a free program here:

http://www.speech.kth.se/music/performance/download/dm-download.html

that is fairly interesting. It has rule sets for adding expression.

\"I think the most beautiful midi files are the ones that are played in, not the ones that are put in note after note (sometimes of course this can also sound good).\"

Amen.

J. Grant

Well, if I could play it, I wouldn\'t be asking these questions eh?

You can play it, just slow it WAY down, and record it one hand at a time, or one NOTE at a time if you absolutely have to, then go back and clean up any wrong notes or bad notes, and you\'re set.

You\'d be surprised how much of a difference it makes in adding realism.

Director Musices is pretty cool, but I agree that the best way to go is to play the part in. There\'s a \"crutch\" I use when the part is too hard for me to play even slowed down. It\'s a freeware program called Finger Conductor, written by Alexander Lotov:

http://lotal.narod.ru/

You can use it to snarf up the pitches of a midi track, and then feed them back to you one by one with each new note-on. In other words, it\'s the Casio \"one-key play\" idea all over again. Plus, it passes through all midi controllers, so I\'ve been able to use it with my wind controller as well. It\'s a bit trickier to use with a wind controller, because all it takes is one false trigger, and back you have to go to the beginning.

My comments are based on version 1 of Finger Conductor. I just now noticed that Alexander now offers a version two (also freeware) that introduces some tools for jumping back to a marker in the piece rather than having to go all the way back to the beginning if you false-trigger. I just now downloaded it, so I can\'t comment on it.

For keyboardists there\'s an even more elaborate freeware program, similar to Finger Conductor, called Musplay:

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~plank/plank/music/musplay/

Unlike Finger Conductor, Musplay requires you to import your midi file into its special format and do a bit of hand-tweaking before you start playing, so that it knows how to deal with, for example, rolled chords. But it\'s the same basic idea as Finger conductor.

Oksi

Go Back to forum