• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gigaharp - HELP!

Share/Bookmark

Gigaharp - HELP!

Having real problems getting the glissando harps to work. I am assuming that to play an A7 gliss for instance, that one has to import the A7 gliss midi file (included on Gigaharp) to the track you wish to record, then just strum the white notes to hear the A7 gliss?
    Whenever I do this, the whole instrument goes strange and not only do I not get the A7 gliss, but only one note in each octave works from this point on, even if I try removing the A7 midi file.
    Am I doing this properly? It\'s driving me insane!
    Any help much appreciated! Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

PS I had also assumed that Gigaharp was a VSTi with its own interface rather than just a set of samples [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Re: Gigaharp - HELP!

Stephen,

GigaHarp is a library for use with GigaSampler/GigaStudio. In fact, one of the very first libraries produced for the platform. From your private email, you indicated you are using GigaHarp with Halion. I could understand going insane trying to get 100% compatibility between formats. GigaHarp uses dimensions to switch between the mappings. I don\'t have the most recent version of Halion, but prior versions of Halion did not support this feature. What you describe seems to be a limitation with Halion and perhaps with the onboard conversion process as well. Perhaps we can try to develop a workaround. I am working on a new harp library that will be friendly with other formats. Perhaps others on the forum have done some reprogramming of the GigaHarp for Halion and could share their results.

Gary Garritan

Excellent Gary!

Will this be far miked, with some ambience to add some more life to the instrument?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Russ:
    Excellent Gary!

Will this be far miked, with some ambience to add some more life to the instrument?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, that would make sense. A hiss library.

hey now,

Gigaharp, is nice for solo, but in orchestral arrangements its a bit on the close mic\'d side for *MY* tastes (this needs to be explained below). I\'d like to see a harp with a couple of mic positions of one with less of the proximity effect in gigaharp.

One of the reasons I love the VSL one is that there isn\'t so much proximity effect. GigaHarp is really cool for when I want to focus on some harp plucking as rhythmic effect (ala some Contact cues), but I dont like it for glissandos, or part of a nice \"distant\" mix. Its for the same reasons I dont like the other close mic\'d ibs I\'ve made comments about.

asking for a \"far mic\'d\" version of a harp, doesn\'t necessarily mean a version of a harp mic\'d from 40 meters away [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] but not from 1-3 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Not everyone needs the actual sound of the fingers rubbing the strings, just like people dont like pick noise in acoustic guitar, or breath from a player one a tenor. This stuff can be \"EQ\'d out\" but doing it with mic positions is a completely different approach. Any intern at a recording studio knows that [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

again, .... multiple Mic\'s... Somehow I remember suggesting that before, but it always comes out at \"ambience\" to some jerkies out there.

** My tastes, does not necessarily mean YOUR tastes, this goes out to all people reading this that dont agree with my comments. Apparently some people believe that I speak as if my tastes are what I consider \"absolute\" which is far from the fact, one must understand that every post made here by either Bruce, Myself, or any developer or user is based on personal preference, which is tempered with personal experience and knowledge or lack thereof (which in my case is the latter, admitadely). Please take that in consideration before you reply or e-mail someone about his/her/mine/their posts about libraries.

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    Yes, that would make sense. A hiss library.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">um, you mean like SAM horns, and EWQLSO (which includes a harp)? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Heheh.. here we go AGAIN [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Until I actually hear Bruce prove me wrong with his EQ and reverb mastery in form of a piece of midi orchestral music, sequenced and mixed by him to sound like a concert hall/stage environment, I will ignore any further comments from him, pertaining to this debate [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It\'s funny that you are still such a strong pursuer of this argument, even after all these new libraries with different mic settings have surfaced.

SAM horns is an excellent library and the small amount of hiss in it only adds to the realism.
    Do you find that the SNR in this library makes it unworkable?

Why are you so afraid of hiss?

In a harp library it would be crucial to keep the hiss low, especially if you\'re going to be doing realtime glisses with the multisample afterwards, as the noise will accumulate in proportion to the number of notes triggered. Still it\'s quite possible to obtain a nice and acceptable S/N ratio without having to compensate for the noise with hotter signals by placing the mic(s) closer to the instrument. Using noise reduction is, to me, NOT an option. Noise reduction kills the life of samples.

A realistic, noisy, alive and beautiful sound at the press of a key, is by far more important to me than a realistic, dead, noiseless and static sound that can, at the tweak of 8 knobs, 2 sliders and 15 minutes of re-routing work eventually begin to remotely resemble a harp in a concert hall placement, picked up by the A/B conductor pair.

I will always be a defender of natural ambience, simply because it ultimately makes the music come more alive, and the orchestration process instantaneously more gratifying.

Thomas

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    It\'s funny that you are still such a strong pursuer of this argument, even after all these new libraries with different mic settings have surfaced.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, Thomas, we achieve our objectives with well reasoned discussion, although I was a little bit smart-assed in that reply. Must be my new four-star demeanor, haha.

OK, what instrument are we discussing? Harp. You have there a combination of extremely long decays, plus a relatively low volume output, plus an instrument whose characteristic parts will generally rack up large polyphony counts. In my experiencedistant mic\'ing of any instrument of that class is a disaster. And that is not even counting the multiplication of noise floor per each voice of polyphony, where the harp is really going to challenge you.

I think the VSL harp is about the limit of distance before the body starts to fall out of the sound. If that was what a person meant by \"distant\" I can buy that. But VSL is also recorded in a room with over 90 dB of noise suppression and some very sophisticated acoustic design. In an ambient environment, it would have been an unsuccessful recording.

King, I\'ve had more people comment on the sound of the GigaHarp than any other sample library I have ever used. Yes, it is extremely present and detailed, but there again, you can always dial detail out. Dialing it back in again?

I can appreciate the somewhat idealistic goals of realism. But really, clients are not interested in your \"realism\" when it is accompanied by polyphonic hiss buildup. Instead, they want to know what that noise is, and by the way, can you get rid of it? And in the case of a noisy sample, you get rid of it by picking a different sample.

So, I perhaps shouldn\'t be a smartass, at least without the appropriate emoticon, but the truth remains that a distant recording of a harp equals an almost useless recording of a harp.

King, I\'ve had more people comment on the sound of the GigaHarp than any other sample library I have ever used. Yes, it is extremely present and detailed, but there again, you can always dial detail out. Dialing it back in again?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Which is why I\'m suggesting Multiple Mic\'s.. again [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

This is where I fall in between the whole \"ambience vs close\" argument. I would record with multiple mics if I was recording a solo harp anyway. I\'d dial in the detail with the closer mics, and use the \"farther\" mics to get more ambient character. Thats just how most engineers would do it, wouldn\'t they? Some people doesn\'t generally agree with me on this, they tend to think its a waste to do multiple mics, but any one who\'s going to point out the option of dialing in/out detail should also argue the plusses of farther mics. Natural Resonance, ambient characteristics, \"air\", etc. It has as many downsides as close mics IMO.

I\'m all for the engineering and tweaking samples, I know how far it can go. I do however like the natural sounds of something I\'m trying to emulate better (technology, and other people may change this) and having control over the balance between different live characteristics would be a plus for me, and probably make most users happy, being able to choose.

Can you really apply the concepts for the \"recording\" of a harp to the \"sampling\" of one?

Go Back to forum