• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: ~ ~ Moeran - Irish Love Song ~ ~

Share/Bookmark

~ ~ Moeran - Irish Love Song ~ ~

Thumbs up Re: ~ ~ Moeran - Irish Love Song ~ ~

Hi Judit,

What a wonderful arrangement you've made. I really love it. (And I'm terribly fond of folk music, so often underestimated - it displays the whole soul of a people or nation in a few chords, a bunch of well chosen notes and scales). The sound of the bassoon really works in that tune, it provides that touch of melancholy, tending towards undefined sadness. Nice harmony too. I suppose you've used the Garritan libraries (the woodwinds are fantastic!)? Great balance and mix. I always welcome good folk music!

And you have another enthusiast little admirer: my youngest daughter (8 year) adores the piece. I had to play it over and over again.

I'm so glad you've shared it with us.

Max

Re: ~ ~ Moeran - Irish Love Song ~ ~

Yudit - I've been waiting patiently, - ok, to be honest, Impatiently for you to finally post this piece. I certainly didn't expect any personal acknowledgement, but that was sweet to see, so thank you.

Oh my my my! what a gorgeous piece of music. The piano arrangement you've based this on must be especially fine, but the orchestral arrangement you've written takes this Irish folk song way up to the sky. It's gently spectacular - how's that for a phrase? The recording is outstanding too. For one thing you've made the often criticized GPO strings sound just fine in this.

If there's any way that you can grace us more often with your thoughtful, intelligent, beautifully produced music, we would all benefit immensely.

Thank you so much, dear Yudit "Sunbird."

Randy

This is a very pretty song and your arrangement is great. The flute in the beginning sounded nice. (the vibrato was just right). I think you did justice to this tune. Thanks for the post. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Judit,

What a wonderful arrangement you've made. I really love it. (And I'm terribly fond of folk music, so often underestimated - it displays the whole soul of a people or nation in a few chords, a bunch of well chosen notes and scales). The sound of the bassoon really works in that tune, it provides that touch of melancholy, tending towards undefined sadness. Nice harmony too. I suppose you've used the Garritan libraries (the woodwinds are fantastic!)? Great balance and mix. I always welcome good folk music!

And you have another enthusiast little admirer: my youngest daughter (8 year) adores the piece. I had to play it over and over again.

I'm so glad you've shared it with us.

Max

Hello Max,

I'm glad to get to know another folk music lover!
    You are right about it being underestimated. Although usually simple and direct,
    many melodies and harmonies in these are all-time treasures!

Working with the bassoon was a first time for me, and you are right there too,
    it gives that sad touch that Irish music contains.
    All instruments are GPO and the woodwinds are indeed a pleasure to work with.
    Working on the balance and mix is very important for me and I find it very interesting
    and challenging, but… when striving for the best, it can also seem endless…

What a wonderful surprise to have a little admirer!
    Your little girl must be unique!
    At such a young age and already into enjoying hearing such music!
    Obviously she is musically talented.
    Send her a big smile from me!

Many thanks for listening and for your warm feedback.

Beautiful. Wonderful orchestration and a high quality recording. Agreeing with Randy, you've done the strings justice. Well done.
    My Music - https://soundcloud.com/davidrhepworth-1
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Skippy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Yudit - I've been waiting patiently, - ok, to be honest, Impatiently for you to finally post this piece. I certainly didn't expect any personal acknowledgement, but that was sweet to see, so thank you.

Oh my my my! what a gorgeous piece of music. The piano arrangement you've based this on must be especially fine, but the orchestral arrangement you've written takes this Irish folk song way up to the sky. It's gently spectacular - how's that for a phrase? The recording is outstanding too. For one thing you've made the often criticized GPO strings sound just fine in this.

If there's any way that you can grace us more often with your thoughtful, intelligent, beautifully produced music, we would all benefit immensely.

Thank you so much, dear Yudit "Sunbird."

Randy

Hi Randy,

I'm glad to hear that you have been waiting patiently… um… impatiently…

You did help me and I was/am grateful for that. After all you have so much more experience than me
    in this field and I'm always ready to learn and so do better work.

"Gently spectacular" – you certainly have a way with words, and this is a creative example!
    You are right! I strive for my work to be spectacular but in a gentle manner…

I'm also glad to hear that my recording sounds good. As always, after posting any piece of music here,
    I can hear some more places which could have been worked on better…
    but as I said in my previous post, there seems no end to improvements…

I sure hope to be able to show up here more often. There are quite a few ideas already waiting
    to be realized, so time will tell.

This forum should help all of us to inspire and be inspired.
    You, Randy, are definitely an inspiration for me!
    So many thanks for listening and for your uplifting comments.

Enjoyed this! A lovely piece that has been well orchestrated. I'm sure Moeran would have approved!

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    This is a very pretty song and your arrangement is great. The flute in the beginning sounded nice. (the vibrato was just right). I think you did justice to this tune. Thanks for the post. Jay

Hello jay,

I'm glad to see you here and that you enjoyed the song and my arrangement.
    Two of the first instruments to 'fall into place' were the harp and flute.
    In a piece like this it was important to choose expressive instruments, ones that
    I could mould and shape, and the flute is one of them.

I was immediately attracted to the tune and to the fact that Moeran chose for it to be
    in the lower range.
    That gave the opportunity for another flute to 'show up' in the higher range
    and so create an interesting 'weave'.

Thank you for listening and your feedback.

Yudit,

This is wonderfully peaceful and poetic music. You've taken a nice piano piece and breathed a new dimension into it with a beautiful arrangement.

Yes, it's been a while but you sure didn't come back empty handed to say the least. This makes me think of the english composer Ralph Vaughn Williams though I'm only familiar with some of his work. I'm sure he also would have enjoyed your romantic journey.

Great, Great, Great!

Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast