• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The G5 has finally made it...

Share/Bookmark

The G5 has finally made it...

Well my dual 2 ghz g5 with 500gb of drive space and 2gb of ram finally, after 3 months of waiting, made it to my doorstop today.

All I can say so far (still installing apps) is that this machine is quiet! I have it out from under the desk, and its noise is still being overpowered by a windows box underneath the desk!

It will be interesting to see how many logic instruments can run/etc. on this thing.

Now all I need to do is find a compatible sound card! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I guess a motu 828 mkii is about the only option right now.

Eric

Re: The G5 has finally made it...

Originally posted by Eric Doggett:
    Well my dual 2 ghz g5 with 500gb of drive space and 2gb of ram finally, after 3 months of waiting, made it to my doorstop today.

All I can say so far (still installing apps) is that this machine is quiet! I have it out from under the desk, and its noise is still being overpowered by a windows box underneath the desk!

It will be interesting to see how many logic instruments can run/etc. on this thing.

Now all I need to do is find a compatible sound card! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I guess a motu 828 mkii is about the only option right now.

Eric
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You lucky, lucky, lucky bastard! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I guess a motu 828 mkii is about the only option right now
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Judging by my original 828, that would be a good choice. But are you sure it\'s the only option? I think a lot of PCI cards are 3.3V.

Nick -

Perhaps you know of some? I was thinking that a fw interface was the best/only way. And I\'m not too excited over the firewire 410 from maudio (not enough inputs/etc).

Eric,

That\'s the mac I was going to go for in about a month or two. I also run Logic, so I\'d love to hear how it\'s going for you once you\'ve had a chance to live with it a bit.

Jim

All Motu devices that use the PCI-424 card are compatable .... PCI-324 users are out of luck.

although, your current pci-424 will not work ... contact Motu and they will send u a comp. 424 card for a nominal price, if you purchased after july 1st, then the upgrade is free.

--- i\'ve been told 2 weeks till G5 hits the door step ! very anxious!

SWL

MOTU\'s stuff works very well on Macs, and it has a lot of I/O. It also has converter-latency-only monitoring on its card, i.e. it has a built-in 96 x 96 monitor mixer. That\'s great if you\'re using hardware instruments, in fact I almost gave up my digital mixer in favor of one of those systems (but ultimately changed my mind because of the convenience).

Whether the MOTU stuff has the lowest latency for soft instruments is another question. I\'m not saying it doesn\'t, in fact you can almost certainly set it to the smallest (64k) buffer setting with a G5 and therefore not notice any latency. But I don\'t know.

I\'m running a 2408 mk3 and it works great. Had some problems under oS9 but under OSX I\'m doing great with it. Latency is mostly un-noticable. I had an M-audio before and hated it, I\'ve used a Digi 001 and hated it... I\'m very pleased with the 2408. Call MOTU and you can for $75 get the new 424 card by trading in your old one. Cool hu [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J-

BTW, I also have an original 828 I use with my lap top and it\'s fantastic!

I failed to mention, Logic is my sequencer of choice [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Eric Doggett:
    Nick -

Perhaps you know of some? I was thinking that a fw interface was the best/only way. And I\'m not too excited over the firewire 410 from maudio (not enough inputs/etc).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The RME HDSP cards are 3.3V as well. Metric Halo 2882 is also an option. Digi 002 i guess is compatible as well, if you are willing to deal with PT politics...

Go Back to forum