• Register
  • Help

Topic: Installation Concern

Share/Bookmark

Installation Concern

I recently installed a new 2TB hard drive and set it up with four partitions;, i.e., Drives C: D: E: and F: My intention was to isolate each drive such that all publishing software/files would be located on D:, audio on E:, and photography on F:. I did this so that it might improve sample streaming and make defragmenting less-time consuming when, for example I added/deleted photos or completed audio projects.

However, nearly all software (including my recent purchases of Concert and Marching Band 2, Classic Pipe Organs, and Jazz & Big Band 3) wants to load to predetermined locations. I think I screwed up the Jazz & Big Band 3 installation when I tried to install it on E: drive, because some of the components went to E: and some to various locations on C:.

My question(s) are:

1. Is my rationale of isolating programs and their files to specific partitions incorrect? Should I just allow programs to install themselves where they seem to want to be?

2. Should I uninstall Jazz & Big Band 3 and re-install it? Will I lose an activation in doing so?

Thanks for any assistance.

Charles

Re: Installation Concern

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Torian View Post
    I recently installed a new 2TB hard drive and set it up with four partitions;, i.e., Drives C: D: E: and F: My intention was to isolate each drive such that all publishing software/files would be located on D:, audio on E:, and photography on F:. I did this so that it might improve sample streaming and make defragmenting less-time consuming when, for example I added/deleted photos or completed audio projects.

However, nearly all software (including my recent purchases of Concert and Marching Band 2, Classic Pipe Organs, and Jazz & Big Band 3) wants to load to predetermined locations. I think I screwed up the Jazz & Big Band 3 installation when I tried to install it on E: drive, because some of the components went to E: and some to various locations on C:.

My question(s) are:

1. Is my rationale of isolating programs and their files to specific partitions incorrect? Should I just allow programs to install themselves where they seem to want to be?

2. Should I uninstall Jazz & Big Band 3 and re-install it? Will I lose an activation in doing so?

Charles
    As I recall, the advise from the Garritan programmers is to not mess with where the installer wants to place things. I've always let everything go the default locations, and as a result, have never had any convoluted playback problems to sort out. I know that there are experts who say the samples for a soft synth are best kept on an external drive, and the programs should be kept separate, in drive C where they want to install. But I've never experienced what I would consider a problem from having both the programs and the samples all on the same drive.

Randy

I always install the samples to one of my sample drives instead of to the system drive (C:\) that I have ARIA program files and VST's loaded. I try to split the samples between the 2 main sample drives for better disc streaming. My system drive is an SSD and is not that big so I definitely don't want the samples there.

In your case, all the partitions are on the same drive, so it won't make much different where you put them.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Torian View Post

My question(s) are:

Charles
    Hi Charles,

When designing a computer for use as a DAW, there are basically three things to think about that absorb processing power of the CPU and transfer capacity of the hard disk(s).

1. The System itself. i.e Windows and the programs running within Windows.
    2. The loading of samples into memory.
    3. The recording and playing back of audio.

Ideally, each of these items should have their own disk drive to minimize the time taken for each transfer, and to reduce, as far as possible, the interaction between them. i.e. you don't want the loading of a sample to be delayed whilst a chunk of audio is written or whilst Windows performs some housekeeping task.

So the ideal is a three hard drive system.
    Do three partitions on a single drive do the same thing?
    No, not at all. In fact if you separate the system onto C: the samples onto D: and the audio onto E: of a single hard disk it is likely to perform more slowly.
    Why? Because the single read write head is having to jump back and forth between the partitions which are spread across the disk.

A three drive DAW
    These days serious users of DAWs have Windows and all program files on a C: drive which is physically an SSD (a Solid State Drive). An SSD has no moving parts and you can think of it as just being a big chunk of memory in a small box which is connected using a disk drive cable. They don't have to be very large (by today's standards) so anything from, say 80GB to a couple of hundred of GB is usually enough. SSD drives are super fast, much faster than any conventional disk drive.

The second disk drive could hold the samples. Speed is one major factor here, so a drive with a speed of 7,200 rpm is good, 10,000 rpm is better. For most 500GB capacity will suffice. (My personal choice was Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB.)

The third drive could then be for the audio files. Again a 7,200 rpm drive is good. Again I went for the WD drive as above.

If working with very large, or many sample libraries, then another drive to hold more libraries is the way to go, not a larger drive.

Some sample library manufacturers recommend splitting their product across four disks. Strings on one, Woodwinds on another, Brass on a third and percussion etc. on a fourth. But this for the much bigger, more expensive libraries.

On a single disk, no matter how many partitions, whack it all (Windows, programs, samples and audio) on the C: drive, and move the audio files to other partitions once recorded, once they are no longer part of the current project, to free up space on C:. It is likely then that one will need a bigger C: drive. In my case, with the main DAW, I again used a 500GB drive. It was before SSDs became generally available.

For my laptop I use a two disk system, with system and audio on the C: drive, and samples on a second drive connected via an eSATA (external disk drive) cable. The system drive is partitioned into two, and audio files are transferred to the 2nd partition when no longer current. Not ideal but it works fine for most projects.

Would be my advice.
    Kind regards,
    John.

Go Back to forum