• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 12-12-12- Concert

Share/Bookmark

12-12-12- Concert

The 12-12-12 Sandy Benefit concert is live at hulu for free. The Stones are on stage right now.

Phil

Re: 12-12-12- Concert

THE WHO----!!! - I don't care what anybody says - There they are, The Greatest, Weirdest, Spaciest, Most wonderful rock group ever. Unbelievably great 1/2 hour set they did tonight - I'm blown away.

Red Cross - Keep giving, folks - you gotta.--

---I feel like I'm on Facebook.--

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    THE WHO----!!! - I don't care what anybody says - There they are, The Greatest, Weirdest, Spaciest, Most wonderful rock group ever. Unbelievably great 1/2 hour set they did tonight - I'm blown away.

Red Cross - Keep giving, folks - you gotta.--

---I feel like I'm on Facebook.--

Randy
    They haven't changed then!
    They were always the greatest band playing live.
    No other group I ever witnessed could generate the same presence on stage.
    They really "rocked the joint!"

Thinking back to days of old, must have been the mid sixties, I saw them performing at a club on Eel Pie Island, before they made their name. Absolutely knock out. They had their base, at that time, in the Richmond area and often appeared at Eel Pie Hotel on the island. I remember seeing Long John Baldry, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, and the Yardbirds there too. The Crawdaddy club, in Richmond was also a pretty cool place.

Ah! Them was the days.

Drifts off into nostalgic "trip"! Clapton, playing guitar for the Bluesbreakers, watching two gorgeous young birds dancing around their handbags, playing the most amazing blues solos with John on harmonica behind. (Vernacular of the time.)

Here's a reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eel_Pie_Island follow the link to eelpie.org

They don't make rock'n rollers like that any more.
    John.

Jurassic Rock...
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax View Post
    Jurassic Rock...
    I guess that makes me Kimmeridgian then.

Quote Originally Posted by SysExJohn View Post
    They haven't changed then!
    They were always the greatest band playing live...
    Aaaaah, really great memories, John. I never saw any of those classic bands live, but my vinyl collection sure got a good work out!

It's Pete Townshend's originality that really pushed The Who's music into such a high level and made them unique. Their songs would have the hypnotically repetitive structure like all the bands, but what Townshend could come up with despite those confines was always so different and striking. After seeing him and Roger Daltry on stage last night, I'm inspired to pull out my vinyl of Townshend's solo album (well, lots of musicians on it, it's just not a Who project) - "White City." I've always liked that work as much as the group's output. I'll put it on my turn table here in the studio and capture a digital copy! Oh boy!

Personal memory related to The Who:

After Roger and Pete had done their electrifying half hour set last night for the benefit concert, an old friend posted this on Facebook: "Thought about how you blew me away during your own Tommy time! Great flashbacks!"

What he was referring to was a stage production of "Tommy" in which I played the title character. That was in 1971 at The University of Oregon. "Tommy" had only been produced on stage one time before that, and it was way before the film. The very talented director came up with his own unique concepts, and it's safe to say there's never been another "Tommy" like his.

It was a multimedia production, with a stage-sized screen for projections (unusual back then) - Like when Tommy breaks free from his autism, I was center stage wrestling off this large cobweb-like thing that had been covering my head, and behind me loomed a filmed close up of my face with superimposed footage of a mirror shattering in slow motion.

The director had me shave my head for the role, and since that was way before it was fashionable for people to shave their heads, it gave the character a very unusual look. When Tommy became the charismatic guru in the second half of the story, I looked like a Krishna follower, or a Buddhist monk.

In an early scene when Tommy's parents have a doctor run tests to find out what's wrong with their autistic child, I was strapped to a table that had a large MRI-like machine over me - I came slowly floating down from the fly gallery like that, and over sized weird looking instruments were also flown in, pointed at me under the bell.

Towards the end of the show, when Tommy's followers have rebelled against him, the director had me virtually naked on stage, wearing just a white posing pouch. With my shaved head and skinny young body, people said it was a very striking image, giving Tommy an innocent, asexual, almost alien appearance.

The production was just great, and people flocked to it of course. A popular local rock band performed the music from on stage, so there was also a rock concert feel to the production.

Oh yeah! - "Tommy" and The Who have had a great importance to me most of my life. Doing that show remains one of my most vivid memories. I'm very glad to think of all that again.

Randy "Tommy" Bowser

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Aaaaah, really great memories, John. I never saw any of those classic bands live, but my vinyl collection sure got a good work out!

It's Pete Townshend's originality that really pushed The Who's music into such a high level and made them unique. Their songs would have the hypnotically repetitive structure like all the bands, but what Townshend could come up with despite those confines was always so different and striking. After seeing him and Roger Daltry on stage last night, I'm inspired to pull out my vinyl of Townshend's solo album (well, lots of musicians on it, it's just not a Who project) - "White City." I've always liked that work as much as the group's output. I'll put it on my turn table here in the studio and capture a digital copy! Oh boy!

Personal memory related to The Who:

After Roger and Pete had done their electrifying half hour set last night for the benefit concert, an old friend posted this on Facebook: "Thought about how you blew me away during your own Tommy time! Great flashbacks!"

What he was referring to was a stage production of "Tommy" in which I played the title character. That was in 1971 at The University of Oregon. "Tommy" had only been produced on stage one time before that, and it was way before the film. The very talented director came up with his own unique concepts, and it's safe to say there's never been another "Tommy" like his.

It was a multimedia production, with a stage-sized screen for projections (unusual back then) - Like when Tommy breaks free from his autism, I was center stage wrestling off this large cobweb-like thing that had been covering my head, and behind me loomed a filmed close up of my face with superimposed footage of a mirror shattering in slow motion.

The director had me shave my head for the role, and since that was way before it was fashionable for people to shave their heads, it gave the character a very unusual look. When Tommy became the charismatic guru in the second half of the story, I looked like a Krishna follower, or a Buddhist monk.

In an early scene when Tommy's parents have a doctor run tests to find out what's wrong with their autistic child, I was strapped to a table that had a large MRI-like machine over me - I came slowly floating down from the fly gallery like that, and over sized weird looking instruments were also flown in, pointed at me under the bell.

Towards the end of the show, when Tommy's followers have rebelled against him, the director had me virtually naked on stage, wearing just a white posing pouch. With my shaved head and skinny young body, people said it was a very striking image, giving Tommy an innocent, asexual, almost alien appearance.

The production was just great, and people flocked to it of course. A popular local rock band performed the music from on stage, so there was also a rock concert feel to the production.

Oh yeah! - "Tommy" and The Who have had a great importance to me most of my life. Doing that show remains one of my most vivid memories. I'm very glad to think of all that again.

Randy "Tommy" Bowser
    Randy, that sounds absolutely fantastic.
    Wish I'd been there to see that.

Sadly, I've never seen the Who live.
    Seen Tommy, who hasn't, and various recordings but never caught a live show.
    I've heard that they're anaother band that generates a real "vibe" on stage.

Kind regards,
    John.

Randy,

That's quite a story. I guess we'll have to start calling you Tommy. Forever Changed!

Here's the Who concert that we saw some of at the 12-12-12 benefit.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Randy,

That's quite a story. I guess we'll have to start calling you Tommy. Forever Changed!

Here's the Who concert that we saw some of at the 12-12-12 benefit...

Phil
    Ah! I see - This video is from a concert in Britain, posted in July, with some of the group's audience fave numbers, and of course they did some of those tunes at the Sandy concert. Great video! Thanks for finding it and posting it, Phil.

Back in the day, I don't think any of us ever imagined that our rock idols, like The Who, would be around and still playing music on into the 21st Century. Rock was the music of the young. There were jokes about the possibility of musicians still playing and being popular past the age of 30. I remember a touched up photo that was widely distributed - It was of The Beatles as they may look at the age of >g-a-s-p< sixty. It was funny because everyone assumed The Beatles and all the rock groups would disappear once they weren't young anymore. Joke was on us! Not only did some of the groups keep on playing, some have kept doing it spectacularly, like Townshend and Daltry, as seen in this video, and the ever-young Sir Paul who was also a wow at the Sandy benefit.

--Side issue -- one I've already written about on Facebook this morning: How are some You Tube users posting these long videos, and doing so with impunity? The maximum length for video uploads that I'm aware of is 15 minutes. That's my limit - and that was given just earlier this year. The limit before that was 10 minutes. But this Who video is 49 minutes - and all over YT you can find full length movies, some over 2 hours -no limit to their length. How are users doing that?

More importantly - how is it that so much copyrighted material is posted on YT? We all know the hassles YT has been going through over copyright infringement. What they seem to be doing is to not actively seek out uploads that are in violation, but they're relying on copyright owners to file a complaint with them. Once a complaint is filed, the offending YT user is sent a warning, and if the user gets 2 complaints, that user loses his account Forever.

The text with this Who posting at YT has incorrect info about copyright, but it's the sort of thing widely, but mistakenly believed:

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for fair use for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

That's not correct. "Fair Use" refers to quoting brief passages from a work for critical reviews, news reporting--etc--as it says in that text, but the difference between the reality of the law and the above quote is that "Fair Use" doesn't allow for a complete quote. That video has entire songs on it - those are "complete quotes," and would never be considered "Fair Use" in a court of law.

--Anyway, I bring all that up because it's really mystifying to me-- How do people post videos of such length?--and how do they keep doing it without any lawsuits?

NOT to take away from your post, Phil - This is great to see--THANKS!

Randy

Go Back to forum