• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Need a fatter gong!

Share/Bookmark

Need a fatter gong!

LOP\'s 40\" Sabian just isn\'t cutting it for me.. I need a really deep gong that has a nice deep sound to it when you hit it (at probably mf or so). One of those 4 or 5 foot gongs. Anyone?

Re: Need a fatter gong!

There is a 4 ft. and a 5 ft. gong in EWQLSO. plenty of dynamics and ambience control.

Nick:

Thanks! Go ahead and just e-mail that to me... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

By the way, are those EWQLSO demos almost ready? I heard end of March was pretty reliable..

VSL will have the deepest gong in the world ...

I really like the QLRI gong.

I was going to add that the QLRI gong (or gongs) are pretty \"chunky\".

Also, DR 2 has a really cool \"Bowed Gong\" that I could swear Hans Zimmer has used in \"More Music from Gladiator\".

Cheers, Scott.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by MDesigner:
    LOP\'s 40\" Sabian just isn\'t cutting it for me.. I need a really deep gong that has a nice deep sound to it when you hit it (at probably mf or so). One of those 4 or 5 foot gongs. Anyone?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">VSL is gong city. Probably a total of 20-something pitched gongs, another 15 or so pitched plate gongs, and 6-7 tamtams. I think the RI gongs are pretty sweet, too.

I vote also vote for QL Rare Instruments\' Gong.

But then again I havent heard QL Orch, VSL or LOP - ;-)

Ed

There\'s also Propellor Island\'s Giant Gongs and Gong FX. I wasn\'t particularly knocked out with the variety and the \'FX\' are a complete waste of time (flanged gong etc), but the recording quality is good.

Also Sound Ideas sound effects library have some great gongs - can\'t remember which particular CD I pulled mine off but they\'re probably available at www.sounddogs.com - some quite unusual brushing and bowed effects.

Ian

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Ian Livingstone:
    There\'s also Propellor Island\'s Giant Gongs and Gong FX. I wasn\'t particularly knocked out with the variety and the \'FX\' are a complete waste of time (flanged gong etc), but the recording quality is good.

Also Sound Ideas sound effects library have some great gongs - can\'t remember which particular CD I pulled mine off but they\'re probably available at www.sounddogs.com - some quite unusual brushing and bowed effects.

Ian
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I have that CD somewhere, and have used those bowed gongs so much that people started taking note, so I stopped. They sound pretty nice, but nothing like the VSL gong strikes. Those are the most spectacular by a good wide margin (excluding things not yet in release, of course). You really begin to appreciate Herb\'s vision on something like a pianissimo gong strike. You can crank up the volume so that it literally makes the entire room vibrate, yet as the thing decays to silence, you hear no noise. It\'s so quiet that it\'s easy to assume that the mic position was point blank, but it\'s not.

I\'ll stop. It\'s easy to get me excited about those VSL percussion samples, especially the pitched stuff and gongs. If samples suffered from wear and tear, I would have already worn holes in those. I was Mr. Gong for about the first two weeks, much to the surprise of my clients who suddenly started getting gong concertos from me. No complaints about it, though!!

I have a feeling the gongs and all the percussion from the QL collection will probably be quite outstanding in their own right, so percuss-o-philes will probably be in hog heaven with choices.

Go Back to forum