• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My latest work - critique?

My latest work - critique?

Hey all,

OK, so finally I have a chance to post up some of my latest work. Can\'t say what this is or what it\'s for yet, but have a listen. You can critique whatever you want, but I\'m mostly interested in advice on mixing/EQ\'ing.. especially EQ\'ing.

Thanks all!

PS: Oh, this is also a theme check.. want to make sure I\'m not seriously ripping anything off..

Re: My latest work - critique?

Hi Sam,

I liked the drum sticks! My guess is Sam Horns here? If the horns stay prime throughout entire piece, maybe pan them out as opposed to a more focused and slightly right pan. Overall mixing, and strings were very nice.

Very nice, Sam.

I listened both at home and on my Genelecs at work, and don\'t hear any mix or EQ problems.

-- Martin

Hi Sam

I really like this piece. If you are going for a natural mix, I would say the snare and stick samples sound closer than the horns, which isn\'t standard. But who wants standard anywayz [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Style: This piece suggests a fantasy environment more along the lines of LOTR than a big action movie, especially the begining. Just saying, cos of the title. Keep it up, sounding really good in my opinion. Also, it sounds nice and alive, a nice performance using samples.

69 Lois Lane, Metropolis

My comments are more on the arrangement...take it for what it\'s worth. The track itself sounds like its halfway done because there\'s a lot of room for additional arrangements (especially some upper range stuff like strings once the percussion comes in to fill out the mix). What is there kinda falls flat as a result. I think a lot of that is because you\'re using french horns, more french horns, and only french horns. Once things pick up, a trumpet line mimicing the horn line coming in at :41 would help bring some more depth into the mix. Maybe some bass piano to enhance/bring out that low string line a little more. The overall mix (horns and strings) don\'t blend very well, either in the beginning. Tehy start off fine, but as horns get louder around :16-:28, I\'d gradually take down their volume a bit to compensate for the louder dynamics so they\'re not drowning everything else out.

Too short! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I really liked it. Very heroic.

My only suggestion would be in the second part to give the drums a little more ooomph... The sticks are really nice.

btw, congrats on the GANG competition... I just listened to Wyndmere. Very nice.

Keep it up,
    Ben Ripley

Thanks, all! I appreciate the feedback.

Yeah, I like the stick hits a lot too! And yes, that\'s SAM Horns on three different tracks (staccato A, marcato C, marcato A).

Actually it\'s a bass drum. If I add more reverb (I assume you mean raise the wetness), it\'s going to drown out. I like being able to hear the mallet hits. As far as mastering software.. I agree, but I\'m clueless when it comes to that stuff! I have Ozone, and I\'ve been told it\'s really good.. but I have zero clue how to work it, unfortunately. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Even the manual is Greek to me. I may be able to compose, but I\'m an audio tech idiot.

You\'re right, the snare sounds pretty up there. It\'s because in the first mix, it was really drowned out by the bass drum and horns. I\'m not really sure how real orchestras are recorded, but let\'s just suppose there are a few microphones hanging, and one is very close to the snare. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I didn\'t want to add upper range strings because I didn\'t want them to upstage the horns, which are the main feature of this piece. I think one of the reasons I\'m using horns a lot is because I don\'t really have any good trumpet/trombone samples. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Advanced Orchestra is my only option there, and some of the AO brass sounds a bit tinny/synthy for my tastes. Need DDBE!

Anyway, I know this is a short clip.. that\'s what the client is requesting. 20-30 second clips.

Thanks again for the input!

Forgot to ask.. what did you mean by panning them \"out\"? Stereo expansion of some kind? They\'re already dead center as far as panning...

There\'s quite a good article on mastering here.

It\'s actually geared to mastering audio in Vegas of all things but the principles remain the same.

Thanks, Scott. bookmarked for later reading [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum