• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: i'm offered AO, Kirk Hunter and MVitous in Akai. Would you take it?

Share/Bookmark

i\'m offered AO, Kirk Hunter and MVitous in Akai. Would you take it?

hi you all,
    i\'m building a newer audio/compositing setup and not quite sure where to start. I already have a titanium and love both logic and protools.

I\'ll use the new system to do both audiorecording as well as sample playing (pop to orchestral). I dont know whether to upgrade to a newer powerbook with logic6 and exs24mkII, or to keep the ti550 (not very powerful) with logic and add a giga Pc, or fully discard macs completely and go just for badbig PCs for both audio(nuendo/ptoolsLE/other?) and softsampler (giga/halion/other?).

i\'m also offered a big Orchestral library package containing:
    -P.S.\'s Advanced Orchestra plus the 3upgrade cds
    -kirk hunter\'s set -3 cds
    -Mirouslav Vitous full orchestra set -5cds
    plus some other goodies

all come in Akai format with full documentation, all for a relatively low price (haven\'t dicussed it yet).
    I know they WERE all great, but right now with all the GOS and VSL.. etc out there i wonder whether it would be smarter to skip that and move to the newer *tera* libraries avalailable today instead (so wouldnt have to mess with all those 20cds from 3 different manufacturers, that will need to be converted from akai to exs24/giga/halion/whatever)

what would you do?
    which platform/soft/libraries would you use?

thanx in advance.

Re: i\'m offered AO, Kirk Hunter and MVitous in Akai. Would you take it?

Well forget the pcs, go for Macs all round with Logic 6+EXS24. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] As for the libraries you\'ve been \'offered\'...well what do you mean by \'offered\'? It doesn\'t sound too much like something we\'re gonna agree with anyway..

\"offered\" means i have to PAY for it. if not, i wouldn\'t ask, i\'ll just take that for free and try what can i do with it.
    it\'s from a guy who\'s leaving the midi headache world and will concentrate on just play/gig guitar/bass (besides continuing working on his other day job)

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by quiq:
    \"offered\" means i have to PAY for it. if not, i wouldn\'t ask, i\'ll just take that for free and try what can i do with it.
    it\'s from a guy who\'s leaving the midi headache world and will concentrate on just play/gig guitar/bass (besides continuing working on his other day job)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">He can\'t do that. Those licenses were granted to him and him alone. If you want to license any of those libraries, you must license them from the developer. An end user is not authorized to grant another end user access to a sample library. There is no permitted transfer of license in almost 100% of the cases, and in those where transfer is permitted it must be done through the developer.

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by quiq:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">He can\'t do that. Those licenses were granted to him and him alone. If you want to license any of those libraries, you must license them from the developer. An end user is not authorized to grant another end user access to a sample library. There is no permitted transfer of license in almost 100% of the cases, and in those where transfer is permitted it must be done through the developer. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Bruce is right...but..does that suck, or what??

Alex

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I wasn\'t suggesting that you weren\'t going to pay for it - erm the above is what I was talking about. Because you said \'offered\' it didn\'t sound as if you were going to purchase the sounds in the normal way...which is where the problems start.

He can\'t do that. Those licenses were granted to him and him alone. If you want to license any of those libraries, you must license them from the developer. An end user is not authorized to grant another end user access to a sample library. There is no permitted transfer of license in almost 100% of the cases, and in those where transfer is permitted it must be done through the developer.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">¿? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    well i\'m sure this license thing has been discussed here before but can someone really explain why such behaviour?

This same guy wants to sell a fully charged akai s3200xl (God help him). He paid for the sampler as he paid for the sample library. He\'s used both for years, and sure they help him to earn money (just a guess). Now he wants to sell everything.
    So then he can sell the hardware but NOT the soft? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

and what if i buy that library, is the police (those who carry guns, not Sting and co.) going to invite me to visit jail?
    Can\'t i buy from him even if i CONTACT the original developer?

anyway, back on topic, do those sample libraries (AO, Kirk Hunter, MVituous) have any life after the release of GOS, VSL, Halion strings.. etc?
    I haven\'t decided yet on a platform/softsampler/library package and just wanted an opinion.

</font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    He can\'t do that. Those licenses were granted to him and him alone. If you want to license any of those libraries, you must license them from the developer. An end user is not authorized to grant another end user access to a sample library. There is no permitted transfer of license in almost 100% of the cases, and in those where transfer is permitted it must be done through the developer.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">¿? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    well i\'m sure this license thing has been discussed here before but can someone really explain why such behaviour?

This same guy wants to sell a fully charged akai s3200xl (god help him). He paid for the sampler as he paid for the sample library. He\'s used both for years, and sure help him to earn money (just a guess). Now he wants to sell everything.
    He can sell the hardware but not the soft? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

and what if i buy that library, is the police (those who carry guns, not Sting and co.) going to invite me to visit jail?

anyway, back on topic, do those sample libraries (AO, Kirk Hunter, MVituous) have any life after the release of GOS, VSL, Halion strings.. etc?
    I haven\'t decided yet on a platform/softsampler/library package and just wanted an opinion.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I you have the budget, I would suggest going for VSL. I haven\'t got it yet (not enough money [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) but I hope to one day.

And then sample sellers and developers complain about people copying CDs all over...
    This is not a critic, only I was screwed once and did not particularly enjoyed it...

He can\'t do that.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">And I\'m saying he may very well be able to sell them.

So there. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast