• Register
  • Help

Topic: This is worse than a Virus...

Share/Bookmark

This is worse than a Virus...

Please no one click on any links or try to use language translators for the posted text. This is a BOT attack on the site and it likely part of the larger Russian mob's mounting financial attack on the US. There are hundreds of known Command and Control sites, and this is one of the methods they use to deploy BOTs on the network at large.

DON'T HELP THEM BY CLICKING OR COPYING LINKS. THE ONLY WAY TO CLEAN UP IS TO DELETE THE POSTS.

Re: This is worse than a Virus...

Russian mob's mounting financial attack on the US
    As in Czar Vladimir Putin and the New Russian Order which was previously called the Soviet Union?

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    Please no one click on any links or try to use language translators for the posted text. This is a BOT attack on the site...
    Thank you, Jim - You are absolutely right.

I've now caught up on this disaster at the Forum - my email in box crammed with auto-alerts on active threads that have had this crap attached to them. Now I see the front page of General Discussion looks like a cyber war zone.

Your post answers Frank's thread "Is this a virus?"- Everyone needs to know what they're seeing is not on their computer, it's here on the Forum, and everyone's seeing it.

Poor PapaChalk. He's the sole administrator of this site, and as he's had to do many times in the past, he'll be catching up and deleting "crymnrict's" junk. Papa of course tries to block these Spam Bot attacks, but it's impossible to be 100% successful. He'll get rid of this current crop of junk, but we all know that at some point, the same thing will happen again. At least it isn't every day!

--arrrgh - what a mess.

Randy

Hey wow! All of it's already gone! After posting my reply above, when the page refreshed, >poof!< the spam was gone.

THANK YOU, PapaChalk - Bummer you had to deal with this on the weekend. It's sure appreciated.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hey wow! All of it's already gone! After posting my reply above, when the page refreshed, >poof!< the spam was gone.

THANK YOU, PapaChalk - Bummer you had to deal with this on the weekend. It's sure appreciated.

Randy
    A BIG THANK YOU to PapaChalk from me too.

I regularly report spam to him and I'd like to acknowledge, publicly, the work he does maintaining the site.

As an administrator of another forum I'd like to point out that, at the moment, it's not unusual to have to deal with a hundred of more spam messages a day, often created by spam bots. For example, the main MMA site has had to restrict membership because of spammers.

Fortunately, some of the software available today for public forums (fora?) allows the administrator to remove a contributor and all their posts in one fell swoop. Handy!

And, as previously posted, when this stuff hits the site, the best thing to do is not to respond to it, but to file an abuse report.

Kind regards,
    John.

I'm glad they rousted them out of this site.

I read that there is reason to believe that the russian mob is planning a large scale attack on online banking in the states using servers in Romania. Windows users are likely to be the most at risk and small businesses aren't covered for their losses like personal accounts are.

I watched a posted video of the supposed ringleader of this possible project driving through a smaller to large Mansion development that went for miles and miles somewhere in eastern Europe and then giving a tour of his home. The russian mobsters are said to be concerned that he might be setting them up for a big bust that would make political points for russian leaders. Oh, what to do!

If this does happen, from what I've read, Windows users can safely still do online banking by making a Linux boot CD and run under it while banking. Even if your PC is infected it can't mess with the Linux OS on the CD.

I use OSX but a while back I received an alert from my bank that someone was trying to gain access to my account! No more simple user name or easy to remember passwords for me.

Maybe it's time to get out the shovel and tin cans?

Go Back to forum