• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hans Zimmer Guitars Vol2: Sound as good as Demo in Practice?

Share/Bookmark

Hans Zimmer Guitars Vol2: Sound as good as Demo in Practice?

Hi and a few questions please...

1) Anyone have Zimmer Guitars Vol 2? Do they sound as great as the demo, or do the demos have effects added and super talented musicians that make it virtually impossible to emulate from the average home studio?

Here\'s Vol 2 demo:
    http://www.spectrasonics.net/hzguitar2.html

2) For samples like this that run on various samplers i.e. giga or akai etc., is there an appreciable difference when played on one sampler compared to another?

Thanks,

Re: Hans Zimmer Guitars Vol2: Sound as good as Demo in Practice?

Joanne,

I have HZ2. I once sat with the demo and the files loaded into my sampler. When you listen to the patterns of playing on the demo it is not too difficult to emulate (the demo).

That said, guitar is a bear of an instrument for samplers to re-create. There is a seemingly infinite playing variety. I am not a guitarist but I can play it well enough to know that to \"get the groove\" you really interact with the instrument (pressure, muting, picking, position, on and on).

I also have the Matt Ragan library, which I love, where there is a tremendous increase in the number of samples in the library (as compared to an acoustic guitar library on HZ2) and still it has its limitations.

Bottom line, the HZ2 library has excellent fidelity and a wide range of stringed instruments to choose from. As example, the electric sitar makes an excellent lead line instrument a la Metheny\'s Last Train Home. The challenge is in extending its usage to emulate many playing styles. For sure, if it is for spicing up lines in a mix it will very useful. If you are planning on lots of front and center \"typical\" guitar work, you may be disappointed.

Do a search here on Yellow Tools Guitar as well. I don\'t own the library but a lot of folks have said good things about it in this forum - and it, like HZ2 has a variety of guitars on it.

Maybe physical modeling will mature enough someday to help us conquer this difficult-to-sample instrument.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Originally posted by sgarsson:
    Joanne,

Do a search here on Yellow Tools Guitar as well. I don\'t own the library but a lot of folks have said good things about it in this forum - and it, like HZ2 has a variety of guitars on it.

Scott
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Here\'s the link http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=BS-315

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the critique of HZ2. Yes, the use will be more spicing-up than lead, although hearing from you that the demo is relatively true to the samples, I can see some partial solos - especially the sitar.

Your point regarding the inability to finesse the samples beyond a particular style of playing is something I had not considered.

Even so, I\'ve tried live recording of guitar. In addition to bad playing, I had issues with mic placement, tone, volume, and so on. HZ2 would certainly take some headaches away.

Doug, thanks for the link to Yellow Tools/Pure Guitars. Maybe this is one of those situations we have to have both libraries. (when isn\'t that the situation)

Very encouraged, thanks.

Hiya Joanne,

I don\'t have HZ2 personally but I find the guitars from Yellow Tools very workable... Of course, if you are thinking of doing that virtuoso spanish strumming stuff its out of the question!!! But still, its a pretty good library... Would gladly recommend it...

Jun - meeehoon

Thanks meeehoon - there have been so many favorable posts regarding Yellow Tools.

Sharmy - Thanks for the generous offer, I\'ll email.

Hey Joanne.... just curious, have you ever tried \"Quantum Leap Guitars & Basses\" I have been extremely happy with the samples on that CD-ROM library. Gary [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum