• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: advice on BM6A for monitoring orchestral samples

Share/Bookmark

OT: advice on BM6A for monitoring orchestral samples

Hi,
    sorry for the OT question but as many of you are in the business with orchestral samples I would be interested of your opinion about the Dynaudio BM6A studio monitors, as I\'ve found a deal in Germany for new pairs at 1500 euros.

Are these such good monitors as anybody says for the 1000-2000 $/euros or should I check the AIR6 (which are anyway much more expensive)?

Also, does any of you know if Dynaudio is coming out with something better as they\'re doing a good price for the BM6A?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Roberto

Re: OT: advice on BM6A for monitoring orchestral samples

There are some that I haven\'t heard, and I don\'t know what Dynaudio\'s plans are. And there\'s nothing more subjective than speaker choice.

But the BM6A is my favorite of its type, which is the small, bright, rather tight-sounding powered monitors. That includes Genelec 1030s, Mackie HR824s (which sound like 1030s on cocaine), and a purple HHB speaker (can\'t remember the model number).

You shouldn\'t listen to me, though, since I\'m one individual (although an individual who had all these speakers in for a side-by-side review a few years ago). But you won\'t go wrong with those speakers.

I\'d recommend pairing any small speakers with a subwoofer for reference, though. There\'s a lot of stuff going on in the bottom two octaves that you really do need to reference.

If you don\'t want to use a sub, at least get a pair of headphones that go down there. Most small speakers cut off at 55Hz or so, which is just a little too high to hear vocal pops and piano hammer thuds.

Again, speaker choice is highly subjective. You have to listen yourself!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

The BM6a is my favorite nearfield monitor, bar none. I had a pair here during a ProRec review, and they put out almost as much bass as my JBL 4412 mid-fields!!

The imaging is spectacular. If I had an opportunity to get a pair of them at the price you are finding, I would do it today.

Thanks for your replies, Nick and Bruce. I think I\'ve read your reviews on the internet and I know these speakers are vey good for their price.

Though I had a conversation yesterday night with the 1st solo cello of the Orchestre de la Suisse Romande and he asked me if these monitors are not a bit too harsh...? He is used to 15000$ Avalon!

(BTW we\'re going to play some sonatas for cello and piano: Brahms, Faure\', Rachmaninov, Prokofiev...! I can\'t wait to start rehersals! and Thursday night they will play Dvorjak 9th symphony and I will tell myself again: nahhhh, we CAN\'T emulate a live breathing orchestra, and then back to try to nail the samllest nuances of a live performance!)

Thanks again for your advices,

Roberto

Yo Bruce, have you heard the passive 8\" model by any chance? Do they sound similar to the 6? I\'d be powering them with a big (and really good) Hafler amp.

Right now I\'m leaning toward buying the Blue Sky set-up (Sky System One) I have here now - very slightly midrange-back, but still very easy to hear what\'s going on - but those Dynaudios are supposed to be very good as well.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Nick Batzdorf:
    Yo Bruce, have you heard the passive 8\" model by any chance? Do they sound similar to the 6? I\'d be powering them with a big (and really good) Hafler amp.

Right now I\'m leaning toward buying the Blue Sky set-up (Sky System One) I have here now - very slightly midrange-back, but still very easy to hear what\'s going on - but those Dynaudios are supposed to be very good as well.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Nick,

No, I\'ve only tried the 6As. They do sound good!

Go Back to forum