• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pros/Cons of Yamaha P80????

Share/Bookmark

Pros/Cons of Yamaha P80????

I am considering upgrading my Roland RD-500 to a Yamaha P80. Can anyone give me some pros and cons for this model piano? Thanks in advance.

Re: Pros/Cons of Yamaha P80????

Craig,

Thanks for your response. I saw a post on this board by someone who said that when using midi and Gigastudio they had to really pound the keyboard to get it to play F. I take it that is an anomaly and that your setup suffers from no such problems? The feel of the Yamaha graded action appeals to me. It really makes a world of difference.

My prefered controller is the kurz Midiboard. Polyphonic aftertouch, nice feeling (maybe a little softer than a piano), lots of controllers, wooden keys...

Can be had for cheap 2nd hand.

I\'ve been playing on a p-80 for a year and I liked it. But since I bought a used MP 9000, I wouldn\'t go back to anything else! The action of my Kawai is way, way more natural and comfortable than that of the p80. It is twice the weigh, but man, if you want a keyboard which you\'ll enjoy, consider a Kawai, because I\'ve never tried anything which comes close to it, except a grand piano. I got mine for around the price of a new p80 and I\'m a happy man!

Pros: For my fingers, the P80 has a real feel and was the best of all I auditioned - which was many. The feel is solid and weighty. the unit is not bulky or heavy. Its under $900 (I think the proce never changes on this KB).

Cons: No midi controllers (mod wheel, ...). You need to use another KB for this. Wish they made dedicated midi controllers. I have thought of buying an Oxygen8. Only three velocity curves (this is not such a big deal though for general GS use) plus one constant velocity curve (is y = K a curve?).

Many people believe the P80 is limited to velocities of 96 or so. This is not true as I get 127 all of the time. Remember, if it feels good .... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Have you considered the Kawai MP9500? The action is superb (read the review in a recent issue of SoS Mag), and it also has the basic MIDI control features (except for aftertouch).

Go Back to forum