• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: LATENCY . . . . !!??!!

Share/Bookmark

LATENCY . . . . !!??!!

...\"GigaStudio consistently delivers latencies in the 3-10 millisecond range for all voices, not just the first ten or so.\"...

Yes, this is from the NemeSys WEB page where the GigaStudio features are presented.

So I bought the upgrade to GST160, I bought the WaveCenter/PCI card (is on the list!), a very fast dedicated computer (as specified) and I made all the Windows tunings and.... guess what?
    I got latency of 17..20 ms!! It is UNACCEPTABLE!!
    Any comments, anybody?

My system: P3/700MHZ, 256MB, Maxtor7200/2MB dedicated drive, WaveCenterPCI card, Winman 1x1 midi interface, Windows95.

I did the measurements triggering from a separate PC the same note once to GSt (loaded with a minimal drum kit) and then to a hardware module. Then I recorded the two audio tracks to Cubase VST (panned one to L and other to R) and used Wavelab to measure the gap between the to signals.

mihmar

Re: LATENCY . . . . !!??!!

Thank you very much PaPaChalk for your response.

I am pretty much introduced into the computers field (PCs), so I can say for sure that everything is well installed, clean, no conflict at all. All the optimizations are also done.

I am not using Cubase (or any other sequencer) at all on this computer. Only the GSt. I have a second PC running Cubase/Wavelab etc

There is a setting at WaveCenter/PCI panel, it\'s called \"ASIO buffer size\". This one definately affects the GSt behaviour. But I thought that ASIO was for the Cubase (etc) and not for the GSt, which uses the GSIF interface driver.
    So the GSt only work well with buffer=256 samples (that coresponds to latency=11ms, but I am getting near 20 ms!!). If I put buffer=128 or even 64 samples, then yes, the latency goes down but lots of pops/click occures.

I have the latest WC/PCI driver (under Win95), I don\'t know what\'s happening.

One more thing: running the GSt diagnosis I noticed that ALL WC/PCI outputs \"...did not map...\". What does it mean? Because except for the big latency, the system runs well.

mihmar

[This message has been edited by mihmar (edited 07-17-2000).]

You probably have a driver problem. I do not get the same results at all. Check your audio properties in cubase I would suspect there is a problem there. What is the latency of the card you are recording too?
    in cubase. Is it set to MME or Asio. there are many factors which may contribute to your
    problem.

I have a similar system setup. PIII 733MHZ(550 coppermine O/C) 256Mb ram, cubase etc.
    soundforge is our editor of choice.

Restart your computer and go into safe mode by pressing F8.

Then go into control panel then click on system. Check to see if there are any double midi drivers in your device manager.

We do not get what you\'ve described on any system we have here.

PaPa Chalk

[This message has been edited by PaPa Chalk

[This message has been edited by PaPa Chalk (edited 07-16-2000).]

Hmmmm. Maybe I\'m missing something in the discussion, because 17ms, that is 17/1000\'th of a second doesn\'t seem to be a significant error in terms of MIDI. I introduce variances far greater than that intentionally, just to keep the track from sounding mechanical. What am I missing here?

Steve Mitchell
    The Classical MIDI Resource

Yes, Steve, it is very audible!
    I agree with you that sometimes music needs to be unquantized but if you are doing for example a simple drum track (a kick drum) you can hear the timing gap between the metronome and the drums!
    So again: 17ms (or ocazionaly even 20ms) is not (always) acceptable!

mihmar

Oh, I am having about the same problem.
    I can notice a latency while playing the piano.

Is anyone else encounting the same trouble?

tinerelu

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mihmar:

I have the latest WC/PCI driver (under Win95), I don\'t know what\'s happening.

One more thing: running the GSt diagnosis I noticed that ALL WC/PCI outputs \"...did not map...\". What does it mean? Because except for the big latency, the system runs well.

mihmar

[This message has been edited by mihmar (edited 07-17-2000).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I see in your quote here there is a problem with the sound card configuration I would try to reinstall gigastudio. You should not get high latency at all.

PaPa Chalk

[This message has been edited by PaPa Chalk (edited 07-19-2000).]

Papa Chalk,
    Now that the price of PIII is more reasonable I am more apt to try overclocking at the risk of frying my CPU. What are the prospects of overclocking my PIII600 and what does overclocking do to the life expectancy of the CPU? I have and ABIT BE6II motherboard and 256 Megs of ram. Would I need additional fans for my ATX case? What can a PIII600 be overclocked to? Peace.

If it\'s a regular P3 600 (that is, not a Socket 370, P3 600e or EB) it probably can\'t be overclocked at all. However my P3 500e is running 700Mhz without any trouble with the out-of-the-box cooler. Yes it will shorten the life of the CPU - maybe my P3 will only last 5 years instead of 10. But since I probably have to upgrade the system in 1-2 years time it is no big deal.
    And there\'s always signs that can tell you if you\'re overclocking too much: crashing while loading Windows, instability in general etc... The biggest problem is the overclocking also affects the AGP and PCI speeds - if you have a mobo with a VIA Apollo chipset it is not so much of a problem since it has both 2/3 and 1/2 dividers for the AGP clock frequency - AGP is supposed to run 66mhz, and I am running 140Mhz FSB to get my P3-500 to 700Mhz - that means the AGP is now running 140/2=70 mhz - not exactly a problem for any AGP video card. But if you have a BX or other Intel chipset it would be running 140Mhz*0.66=92 Mhz which could cause trouble for the card. Another thing is that your RAM will be running 140Mhz on an Intel chipset too, but on the VIA Apollo you can set the RAM speeed to FSB-33=107Mhz which should work for all PC100 RAM.

We, also nemesys does not endorse overclocking.

I have done it myself but I wouldn\'t recommend it to anyone as with all things there is risk you could fry your board. You really have to know what you are doing. Here are sites that have great info on overclocking.
    http://www.ugeek.com/procspec/overclk.htm http://www5.tomshardware.com/guides/overclocking/index.html

PaPa Chalk

[This message has been edited by PaPa Chalk (edited 07-21-2000).]

Go Back to forum