• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Digital FX and sound quality

Share/Bookmark

OT: Digital FX and sound quality

I read here recently about someone saying that applying too many fx to your samples makes your mix \"grainy\"

I have heard of this before, but I was wondering just how many FX might be too much? If you were to apply 3 or 4 fx to each section of the orchestra for your mix then a further 2 or 3 fx in the mastering process, is this going to audibly degrade the sound quality?

Also, are the EQ/Compression and other FX built into apps like Sonar and Cubase considered good enough? I know I wouldnt bother with a Cubase Reverb for example, but how bout EQ?

Thanks for reading my dumb questions. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: OT: Digital FX and sound quality

Ive never heard of it being grainy. But too much reverb can make your mix \"muddy\", or the wrong EQ bass boost will also make it muddy or boomy.

I think built in effects of Sonar/Cubase/etc is good enough but can still be improved. It\'s that remaining 10% of quality that cost 90% so much!

For reverbs, nothing beats a hardware unit like TC Electronic or Lexicon. Check one TC M-one or Lexicon MPX550. Also, software reverb eats up a lot of CPU resources... It would be better if those CPU cycles are eaten up by Giga or your sequencer.

For compressors, I prefer RNC \"Really Nice Compressor\".

I like the EQ of Sonar XL (Timeworks) because it\'s got a spectrum analyzer. But I also have an ART hardware EQ.

>If you were to apply 3 or 4 fx to each section of the orchestra for your mix then a further 2 or 3 fx in the mastering process, is this going to audibly degrade the sound quality?

I think your CPU will be out of breath at this point. Better offload those tasks to hardware gear.

Just my opinion.
    Owel

Re: OT: Digital FX and sound quality

Originally posted by Owel:
    Ive never heard of it being grainy. But too much reverb can make your mix \"muddy\", or the wrong EQ bass boost will also make it muddy or boomy.

I think built in effects of Sonar/Cubase/etc is good enough but can still be improved. It\'s that remaining 10% of quality that cost 90% so much!

For reverbs, nothing beats a hardware unit like TC Electronic or Lexicon. Check one TC M-one or Lexicon MPX550. Also, software reverb eats up a lot of CPU resources... It would be better if those CPU cycles are eaten up by Giga or your sequencer.

For compressors, I prefer RNC \"Really Nice Compressor\".

I like the EQ of Sonar XL (Timeworks) because it\'s got a spectrum analyzer. But I also have an ART hardware EQ.

>If you were to apply 3 or 4 fx to each section of the orchestra for your mix then a further 2 or 3 fx in the mastering process, is this going to audibly degrade the sound quality?

I think your CPU will be out of breath at this point. Better offload those tasks to hardware gear.

Also, arrange your mix into busses so instead of using 10 reverbs for 10 tracks, you can route those 10 tracks to a bus, and apply a single reverb to the bus.

Just my opinion.
    Owel
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Go Back to forum