• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Family at Christmas

Share/Bookmark

The Family at Christmas

I'm joining with Frank to put some Christmas Cheer on this board. (For those of other persuasions "Holiday Cheer".)

Here is the piece I composed this year for my family. It's all Garritan except for the trumpet. My Garritan Trumpet is down with the 'flu' so I had to grab my trumpet and play along .

Anyways...

Enjoy The Family at Christmas

(yes, there are words, but I won't post them - they are mine and I'd like to keep it that way.)

Happy Holidays,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: The Family at Christmas

Hey Johnny Richards! ... another nice pop tune from you (I guess you stepped into some kinda positive pressure chamber to crank this piece out! ). Christmas cheer indeed ... glad you added some holiday music as well!

Very nice ... loved the live trumpet; you have a nice, warm timbre. I'll bet it was fun for you to blow on this one; I miss that and should practice a little so I can enjoy that again someday.

Was the Garritan trumpet player who 'took sick' named Wally Pipp ... you may have put him out of a job permanently!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post

Was the Garritan trumpet player who 'took sick' named Wally Pipp ... you may have put him out of a job permanently!

Frank
    I don't know about you, but the Trumpet Samples are, in my humble opinion, some of the worst samples in the library. Trumpets can be extremely warm and melodic. We don't always blow our brains out. The old adage about trumpet players comes to mind. Their the guys that only know how to blow louder higher and faster... I guess they never heard Raphael Mendez play!

I guess I am trying to demonstrate that my music (Dirac Sea) is based on a real knowledge of music, not just randomized note selection. The 'pop tunes', as you call them, allow me to release my brain with musical exercise giving me more room for experimentation. Oh by I ramble now.

Thanks for the listen. Now go practice your instrument and build up those 'chops'!

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Very nice, Bill - And what a special gift from you to your family. It would be difficult to give a more meaningful gift than music.

Using software instruments as a backup band to your trumpet solo reminds me of the more common scenario where a guitar play does the same with his acoustic instrument.

I understand what you're saying in post #3 about the trumpet samples in GPO. I remember when I first got the Library, I was working on music that needed trumpets, and I was disappointed that these sounded so strident and synthy. I think one of my very first posts anywhere on the Garritan Forums was asking what people do with those samples to make them sound better, and I commented that the trumpets sounded to me like those buzzing hornet synth trumpet patches in old Roland hardware synths.

Well, I did develop a bit more control over the trumpets, like at first I didn't realize there was vibrato control for them via AfterTouch, and I had a tendency to play all the notes with too high a velocity level. BUT, the GPO trumpets never became instruments I'd dare solo, they've always been strictly for ensemble work, and not too high in the mix!

You said, "We don't always blow our brains out" - That's the problem right there. Those GPO samples seem to all be fff, and yet distant, like the musicians had to be quite a distance from the mike when the samples were recorded since they were playing so loudly. Trying to get any warmth or subtlety out of those samples is impossible.

Anyway - Nice to hear a real trumpet! Thanks for the sweet Christmas music, Bill.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    I don't know about you, but the Trumpet Samples are, in my humble opinion, some of the worst samples in the library. Trumpets can be extremely warm and melodic. We don't always blow our brains out. The old adage about trumpet players comes to mind. Their the guys that only know how to blow louder higher and faster... I guess they never heard Raphael Mendez play!

I guess I am trying to demonstrate that my music (Dirac Sea) is based on a real knowledge of music, not just randomized note selection. The 'pop tunes', as you call them, allow me to release my brain with musical exercise giving me more room for experimentation. Oh by I ramble now.

Thanks for the listen. Now go practice your instrument and build up those 'chops'!

Bill
    I agree with you and Randy ... the trumpets (GPO or JaBB) are somewhat thin and require a lot of tricks to make them sound as good as the rest of those libraries. I am almost always using the JaBB ones, and usually 3-4 of them in a section ... I'm rarely using them as solo voices. It's tough not to write shout chorusus and climaxes without some high trumpets, but if they are kept under G just above the staff, they sound much more plausible. When you get up to the C above, they really thin-out dramatically. I just can't get the power and energy I would like to at those pitches, but, hey this is a minor complaint! I think Randy nailed it in that the trumpets were probably recorded/played fff at six feet! I had never given much thought as to why they sound a bit thin.

Now, OTOH, JaBB trumpet keyswitched mutes are just tremendous (as are the 'bones). I do a lot of show/act type arrangements and having brass mutes available is a must ... it's such a charateristic sound of that style of music. Plus, I just happen to like the shadding of colors that the mutes give me, even for my pop and jazz charts. And having straight, cup, harmon and even bucket mutes for all my trumpets and trombones ... WOW!!!!! And all it takes is a simple keyswitch; very efficient. I use just four tracks for four trumpet chairs!

Yes, your music is not a Jackson Pollack (sp??) approach at all; as I mentioned, it's very logical and because it's not just notes flung in the air, it allows us to venture and hear and experience music in very different and original areas with you. You've given us a seatbelt for the ride! Also, pardon my use of the term 'pop music' (for want of anything else and I hate tags anyway) ... I don't mean it in a disparaging way ... hell, I've spent most of my musical life playing and writing it!

Frank

Randy - Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy playing along with the music, makes practice a lot more fun.

I try to write an original Christmas tune every year. This is my fifth. (Hmm, Rayer's Fifth? - reminds me of the story about french horn players who like to play with open fifths, however they get pretty 'looped' before the end of the concert...

Anyways, Thanks for the listen.

Frank - No, I certainly don't approach my music like Jackson Pollack and toss notes helter-skelter like he did with paint! I remember back in the 70's taking an electronic music class (talk about the good old days). We used reel to reel tape players to create music. One of our assignments was to tape any ordinary sound (I taped street traffic sounds) cut the pieces of tape in 3 inch lengths, put them in a paper bag and shake, pull them out and splice them together and give the composition a name. It was fascinating because many sounded really cool! But, talk about the painstaking hours it took to splice all that tape together to get 3 minutes of music... argh! If I can find that tape and, if my reel to reel player still works, I'll put it on this board.

As my composition instructor would say, there's nothing wrong with 'pop music' and tonality, but ... I think its been done.

Have a wonderful Holiday Season Frank and Randy.
    Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Hi Bill,

What a lovely idea to combine your magnificent 'soft' sounding trumpet with the GPO orchestra. A very 'catchy' tune you composed and performed it in just the right mood. I enjoyed the solo instrument a lot. The orchestra however remains a bit (deliberately?) in the background and doesn't seem to interact with the trumpet, although the harmony and orchestration is very decent according the genre.

Your family will be extremely pleased with such an original and creative Christmas Gift. But how are you going to put it under the Xmas tree?

Max

Hi Max,

Well, I just put the other instruments in as a backup to the melody. I didn't to a lot of the DAW development to make it more (as you say) interactive. I just like to treat my family to a bit of music from Dad.

Thanks for stopping by to listen.

Happy Holidays,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

This was very nice especially with the "live" trumpet, though I can't imagine what a "dead" trumpet sounds like. It was much nicer compared the the JaBB tenor version you showed me earlier this fall.

Now, when do you hire the vocalist to get the vocal version ready?
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Now, when do you hire the vocalist to get the vocal version ready?
    You said you wouldn't do it! I've played many times where I felt I was dead, does that count? (Dead Trumpet)

Merry Christmas.
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum