• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New VSL Demo

New VSL Demo

Hi guys,
    I got VSL Perf last week and I just completed a commercial using it.

They wanted me to mock-up Shostakovitch\'s Valse II. I played the saxophones parts with F horns and some other sax samples I had.
    Every sounds are from VSL except for the piccolo, the celesta, the piano, the (ugly) saxophones and the percussions. The final version will have real saxophones on it.

As you all know mocking up a classical piece is always a tough thing to do. I have been isolated for the last 2 days doing it. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Shostakovitch Valse II

Re: New VSL Demo

hi sw,

sometimes one can get a tiny bit too excited about a wonderful effect called: reverb. work on finding the right balance. currently it\'s a bit...\"smeared\" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Wonderful..im a big fan of his Cello concerto

That was the wrong mix sorry [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

It has been updated now.

Shostakovitch mock-up

Nice job sw! Very expressive. Your rendition has a good forward motion to it. It make one want to waltz ... or at least as much someone could want to in this century.

One of these days I want to create a mock up of a classic piece. Do you have any advice on the mechanics/procedures of it all. For instance, do you play in of all the parts or first concentrate on the accompaniment etc. - you know, that sort of thing.

I like your mix BTW - clean. I guess you aren\'t using NFX.

While I\'m here: I assume you have a dedicated Giga machine?

Thanks Craig. I am not a mock-up expert, this is actually the very first one I did. I usually do my own music. I don’t use any special procedures/mechanics I just try to play the parts with the same vision throughout, without using quantize unless it is to create an effect. The first instrument I play depends on the music.

I am using a lexicon 300 inserted inside my Logic Audio mixer (PC). I Have 2 dedicated Giga machines right now, but to be honest for a big classical arrangement it isn’t enough unless you bounce. I am getting a third one this week. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sounds good. One suggestion: some predelay in front of the reverb (50ms?) will really help the clarity and probably make the space more realistic.

Hi sw,

you might want to check out for wrong violins harmonies between 00:25 and 00:30!

Thanks for the advice.

Before you make such a critic you might want to check out the score and maybe your hears. I played every parts from the score that was given to me by the publisher. There is a dissonant harmony between .25 and .30 second, it is from the guitar (not the violins) and is part of the composition.

Go Back to forum