• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Personal Orchestra official! =)

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Personal Orchestra official! =)

Hey guys, check out www.garritan.com

Re: Garritan Personal Orchestra official! =)

cool.

but isn\'t it weird? It says that it comes with Kontakt. I\'d think it would come with Kompakt.

That would be to good to be true, wouldn\'t it?

I am even seeing adversisements for the GPO in northernsounds.com now =)

By the way, I love the new look for the website, Gary!

Great to see that Gary Garritan has created a contrabass clarinet sample. It may well be worth the price of the library by itself - for me anyway! Thanks Mr Garritan - the library looks like a fine idea all round. Good luck with it.

Time to get a new signature, I think.

Originally posted by ProfessorOak:
    cool.
    but isn\'t it weird? It says that it comes with Kontakt. I\'d think it would come with Kompakt.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">As a beta tester of GPO, I am fairly certain that GPO will be hosted by Kompakt, which is based on Kontakt technology.

I really think many people will find GPO very useful.
    1) Paper and pencil composers will find GPO useful for meaningful orchestral sketching.
    2) Anyone who wants a very portable orchestral lib will now be able to load up an orchestra on a laptop. Now you can realize your dream of composing at the beach, or on a flight, on the can, or anywhere you please...
    3) Maybe you have some of the other focused libs like SAMs, Kirk Hunter, and that sort, and you want to fill out your orchestra with quality instruments: well GPO is it.
    4) Those people who cannot afford the major libs like QLSO, VSL, GOS, SISS can now afford to have a base lib to realize their inner composer.
    5) The inroads to education with this lib boggle the mind.
    6) I could go on and on...

When you hear the demos for this lib, you are going to be very pleased. We have been doing classical scores with outstanding results. The violins are just killer, and in places for certain things, I use them over GOS! All the strings sound solid. The lib is worth it for the woodwinds alone. Percussion covers all the bases and sounds very good, as does the brass.
    Another way to look at GPO, is it is not meant to compete with the larger libs outlined above, and some focus libs like SAMs and Dan Dean, but it does give you a very good sounding complete orchestra of excellent consistency across the boards that is very manageable, allowing you to obtain great results with relatively little effort. Effort has been put into GPO help you get up and running as quickly as possible. With the GPO Multi\'s, you will be able to load up a full orchestra within minutes. Create a template in your sequencer, and you are off and running. For $249, GPO is a no-brainer.

Originally posted by dwdonehoo:
    2) Anyone who wants a very portable orchestral lib will now be able to load up an orchestra on a laptop. Now you can realize your dream of composing at the beach, or on a flight, on the can, or anywhere you please...
    [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Composing on the can! That\'s one you can\'t learn in school. I\'ll have to get GPO just for that added bonus! Ha!

[img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Really waitin\' for the demos now [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Even though I\'m going to use qlso soon this one really would be cool anyway esp. thinking about composing while in train and stuff... geez... GPO is the reason to finally buy myself a laptop, heh. Anyway, I\'m sure it will be very useable when you have to deliver a sketch in time before everything goes to a live orchestra.

Thanks Gary. Looking forward in hearing it.

-Marc

I\'m also one of the beta testers for GPO. Before Gary and Tom started working on this library they had a well defined set of goals. They sent us a document with these goals which I used as a template to test the library. I have to admit that they have hit all of the goals set forth in the original document. The feature list you see listed on the Garritan website is basically this same list of goals.

I have been having fun working on demos for this library. The library is quite easy to use and has a very low frustration level. You can basically load up your sequencer with a template and get to work and not have to worry much about which articulation, instruments, etc. to choose. Tom Hopkins has just done an amazing job programming this one.

One of the coolest features is the ensemble instruments. These work great in the woodwind sections. You can easily go from 2 clarinets playing 2 different parts to a unison part without phasing issues. The samples have not been tuned to death which really helps with the ensembles.

I\'ve been testing GPO with a P4 2.4 GHz machine with 1 GB of RAM. I\'ve had 8 instances of Kontakt going at once inside of Sonar 2.2. The instruments loaded were all strings sections (short bows, sustains and pizzicato), 2 harps, celeste, xylophone, Percussion (bass drum, cymbals, triangle, tambourine, timpani), Brass (tuba, bass trombone, 2 tenor trombones, 3 trumpets, 4 french horns), Woodwinds (Contrabassoon, 2 bassoons, bass clarinet, 2 clarinets, english horn, 2 oboes, 2 flutes and piccolo) with 150 MB of free memory. I\'m getting up to 200 notes of polyphony in stereo without using DFD. All parts were playing on one computer without having to bounce any tracks. This is all in realtime! BTW, it takes only 30 seconds for me to load the song and samples.

Did I mention that this library is fun to work with?!!

Are the string samples derived from the master recordings from GOS project? Or were they recorded more recently?

and the rest of the instruments.. all seperately recorded for this project or are they from a 3rd party?

Thanks.

Go Back to forum