• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Looking Back Again

Share/Bookmark

Looking Back Again

I posted a piano and cello piece a few years ago called Looking Back. So this is called Looking Back Again.

This version still uses the Garritan Piano except it's the classic and not the under the lid mic position.

The GPO Solo Cello has been replaced by the LASS First Chair Cello.

I'm using a little CSR algorithmic reverb and more of EW Spaces convolution reverb.

https://www.box.com/s/c6kixvz7rftft84ra042

Re: Looking Back Again

Lovely, Phil. I especially like the chord changes around 1:46 or so. Any special reason why you didn't make the cello part a bit more challenging? Sometimes it gets lost in the piano part--to my ears, anyway. Very peaceful, contemplative mood you've set here.

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Hi Phil,

I'm glad I've taken the time to listen to your "Looking Back". It was absolutely worth looking back. A nice, quiet reflecting piece of chamber music with a very beautiful cello part and an intimate piano backing.

Very nice!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by gogreen1 View Post
    Lovely, Phil. I especially like the chord changes around 1:46 or so. Any special reason why you didn't make the cello part a bit more challenging? Sometimes it gets lost in the piano part--to my ears, anyway. Very peaceful, contemplative mood you've set here.

Art
    Thanks Art!

Yes, the cello is an instrument of few notes on this one. The piano came first and then I decided that a cello might work well with it. The piano said that was fine but just keep it short and to the point or something like that. Ha,ha.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Phil,

I'm glad I've taken the time to listen to your "Looking Back". It was absolutely worth looking back. A nice, quiet reflecting piece of chamber music with a very beautiful cello part and an intimate piano backing.

Very nice!

Max
    Hello Max.

I'm glad you not only listened but also posted your kind comments.

Phil,

There is no doubt that you are a true romantic at heart!

A piece that speaks of sweet nostalgic moments…

I enjoyed hearing, thanks for posting!

~ Yudit ~

This is nice piece of music, lovely lines and harmonies. Piano sounds wonderful, but I would loved to hear the cello a little more prominent. I also wonder how this would sound if the piano were replaced by harp. I am thinking the beautiful delicate cello part would be enhanced with the fluid sound of the harp.

You certainly have a beautiful romantic side to your composing.

Have a Happy Holiday filled with music,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by sunbird View Post
    Phil,

There is no doubt that you are a true romantic at heart!
    Yes, I probably am but I seem to try to keep it a secret with a sometimes cynical exterior.

Thank you much Yudit for your nice words.

Phil

This is nice piece of music, lovely lines and harmonies. Piano sounds wonderful, but I would loved to hear the cello a little more prominent. I also wonder how this would sound if the piano were replaced by harp. I am thinking the beautiful delicate cello part would be enhanced with the fluid sound of the harp.
    Hi Bill!

Thanks for mentioning about the cello needing more prominence. I got lazy and just mixed it with my phones so I hooked up my monitors and gave the piano and cello more of a spread and upped the cello volume.

I'll try using the harp and see what happens. The LASS samples have a lot of realistic presence so it can be a little trickier to get a good blend with a softer sample.

You and your family have a musical and merry holiday season also.

Phil

So sweet, Phil - Nice! - Apparently I'm hearing a re-mix that you did after the earlier responses were posted, because the cello seems in perfect balance, volume-wise, with the piano.

I do feel, since it's a duet, that the recording would have a more cohesive quality if the instruments were closer to each other. I know you're saying you gave them more of a spread, but I'm thinking that wasn't helpful - it's like the two musicians are at the completely opposite sides of the stage, and of course in concert they would be just a few feet from each other.

Nonetheless, it's a lovely piece of music - OH, and I really like the choice you made of using the classic perspective for the piano. I hardly ever use that, but you inspire me to give it a whirl.

Thank you, Phil - and I wish you the happiest of holidays.

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast