• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dalj

Share/Bookmark

Dalj

This was composed in 1989, as a piano solo. It was intended to be included in Galactica Suite. A woodwind quintet version was performed in 1990, in Palo Alto, near Stanford University. Thereafter, it was forgotten about.

This week, I made extensive revisions to the piano version (uploaded at least three versions). Perhaps it is finished again.

Dalj

The link will take you to Score Exchange, where you can listen to the mp3. You also have the option of reading the score during playback if you have the free Scorch plug-in, available on the page. But while you are reading the score, the playback will be general midi, not the mp3

The mp3 was made using GPO Steinway and Fatar midi keyboard. Time, 7:52

Richard

Re: Dalj

Hi Richard,

It took an effort to listen to the entire piece, but it showed some surprising changes; at first the little runs seemed to go on forever up and down, to suddenly end up in harmonious chords as if a conclusion of the built up tension would follow, but after some silent hesitation, the piano runs came back to finally be put down in the coda-like chord ending. (I couldn't see the score, so I had to judge merely by listening).
    A hell of a job for a piano student to perform the light touch on all these succeeding (eight?) notes in the left hand and to build them up into a decent meaningful phrases.

Well done!

Max

Thanks, Max. It will indeed require a very delicate touch, especially the left hand. When not playing a melody, the left hand has segments made up of quintuplets or sextuplets, while the right hand plays against them with various rhythmic configurations, which makes the piece quite difficult. But the short middle section is easy enough. The ending was indeed intended as a coda or codetta. It was there because it seemed to be demanded. It was not in the woodwind quintet version.

Richard

Another one of your challenging but satisfying works Richard.

I had to work at it a little to keep with it at first but then things started to make sense to me.

I'd like to hear the WWQ version of this as I played in one many years ago in school but I know you stick with keyboard instruments.

Thanks for the fine post.

Phil

Go Back to forum