• Register
  • Help

Topic: Curious what you think of my work.

Curious what you think of my work.

Hello all. I\'ve never posted anything hear because most of what I do is very pop oriented. Even though I was a comp. major in College I never get to use it and hardly ever get to write any new music. Well a few weeks ago I got a chance to write some new stuff. It\'s some underscores for a Voice Over project. Very low budget but I wanted a change of pace so I agreed to do it. Unfortunately I had to mix it all myself, which I don\'t do! Usually I get a good mix budget and hire a REAL mixer. But I did my best.

They were pretty specific with what they wanted so I wrote very specific music. I\'m posting 2 pieces. One is a very slow minor piece that changes to major half way through. Due to time constraints of the VO I didn\'t have room to develop any of the themes really. The other is on the lighter side. They really liked some Dave Grusin cuts, so you may hear alot of Grusin influences. They\'re different then what is usually posted on this forum but I thought it\'s worth a try.

I know the mixes are a little empty around 200-350hz. I took out too much. I know there\'s some other mix problems. But I\'d love some suggestions for maybe improving the orchestra a bit. This is the first project I\'ve actually done real string parts and used Garritan for. I\'m pretty pleased with most of the sounds, although still not thrilled with the Vln. I think I can do better. Anyway, go ahead, tear me up..... I\'m prepared !

Re: Curious what you think of my work.

From a fellow low-budget-so-must-mix-as-well musician, I must say your music is soooo cool! I especially like your Bach-ish \"Death Mix\" - imagine if you had a real string section to do that! Well, what I can suggest is to use EXP instruments for your string section for a more expressive result which is what the song is all about. I only have Garritan Lite but using EXP helps a lot in attaining more realism.

I like the piano track of \"Seaside Mix\". The flute is kinda too soft especially from 01:07, but well, it\'s all up to you.

Apart from those comments, I did enjoy listening to both songs! Just the perfect ones to listen to at 5:15 in the morning. I must have listened to each song 4 or 5 times!

Congratulations and I hope to hear more of your music!

Nice work. Your post caught my eye because I too work on more \"pop\" oriented music, yet composing for film really interests me. Plus, you hang your hat in Nashville as well.

I\'d encourage you to look for more of these kind of opportunities, even though I know they don\'t pay well, it gives you a chance to develop that side of yourself more.

I agree with Nhick about utilizing the EXP instruments from Garritan, which will breath more \"life\" into your strings, but you yourself said you weren\'t crazy about the violins.

Mostly I just wanted to encourage you. Great job!

Hi J, I liked the first minute of the \"Death\" piece. Nice progression \"borrowed\" from Bach ( [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) and it started this piece nicely. However, there\'s a risk involved and that\'s that if you go that route you must try to keep you within the style and the rest of the piece must have progression which matches the progression in the first minute or so. Unfortunatly it did go somewhat downwards after 1:30, mostly because of the voice leading. So it\'s like the piece is split in two styles which don\'t quite manage to work together.

Having said all that, I liked the overall feeling of it - and it was a great attempt! So keep trying and work on it.

Your \"Seaside\" piece did do a better job of keeping the same style throughout and sounded more like a whole than \"Death\".

Anyway, good job - I\'m sure that the producers were happy with the result. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Btw. What choir lib did you use in \"Death\"? It was really nice!

Wonderful work J. I thought these pieces were incredibly accessible and enjoyable! I\'m jealous! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I have to begin by saying very nice work. I tend to agree that the part at 1:30 to maybe 2:00 tends to be too \'pretty\' for a work called \'Death\', but I don\'t have the film for reference, so iassume it makes sense in context.

Too much cut at 250? broaden the filter Q to encomapss another octave, and back it off a few dB. Youo definitely want to generally do this, to get the mud out (buildup of many instrument timbres that thicken and muddy the texture.

I especially like the Grusin piece. But I don\'t care for the chorusing that appears to have been put on the entire mix. If this is not deliberate, it\'s an easy fix.

Good job. I hate to tell someone to work cheap, but if that\'s what it takes (for a while), go for it!

Well thanks guys, you\'re mighty nice [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I appreciate all the comments. Let\'s see, I should clarify a couple. 1) Death is not just about death. This is actually underscore for a bible reading devotional from a local bible publisher. The first part talks about death, but the second half goes into a verbal section on victory and overcoming. So The music really fits the words. I too from a compositional standpoint would say it\'s stylistically inconsistent. But it\'s not JUST composition that I was hired for.

2) I Did use EXP instruments for my strings. I don\'t know if I didn\'t do it enough or what...... I get so frustrated because the EXP inst. are so hard to hear when they\'re soft I always end up getting them as loud as they can go before I want to get there. I guess it just takes more work...

3) Choir is SOV. Boys choir [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Love it.

4) Guitar is real

5) Strings are GOS long bows with Grand Detaches and a solo patch from Kirk Hunter - and I actually only worked with 4 parts. Vln1/2, Cello and DB. I filled in Viola parts with Vln2 and cello depending on the range.

6) Soundsmith - I don\'t HAVE to work cheap, I just chose to do it on this project because of the nature of it. And I\'m tired of programming bubble gum music. I needed a month off so I took it. I know there\'s a lot to improve but I\'m actually encouraged since I haven\'t done any original composistion since college and I think it all turned out pretty well given the time etc. There\'s actually 8 more cuts but I won\'t bore everyone. Maybe in the future some more writing opportunities will come up [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again for all your nice comments.

I don\'t HAVE to work cheap, I just chose to do it on this project because of the nature of it.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I understood that, that\'s what I was referring to. Some things you charge full boat, others are more for your own soul\'s satisfaction. What\'s best, of course, is when your soul and your market match up...

Example - I just played a wedding reception last night, made $750 in an evening for playing what the customers want.

I just had three of my songs recorded by several major artists in an as-yet-unknown group. For these sessions, I got room, food and transport, plus 1 point on three songs. With luck, I\'ll make $100 total, but the music was real, and created by some of the best in the jazz/fusion world. I had more fun in that session than in the last year of my regular gig.

You pay for what you love, and get paid for what they love...

Hi Whaley,

great to get confirmation that you did follow and try to express the text - it\'s way too seldom which you can hear that in the music these days.

Anyway, because the text A talks about the death but text B about victory and overcoming - then I would make the contrast appear even more clearly.
    A part does do a good job because you did borrow some progression from Bach piece which people associate almost instantly to funerals or related things - however, for victory text I would have used the trumpet more maybe with triplet broken chord motive and even timpanis. Trumpet and timpanis are the instruments which people associate most to victory and related things.
    I would also keep the semi-baroque feeling in both parts.

Anyway, these are just a friendly tips and ideas. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

It\'s something about boy choirs which I just love, I don\'t get the same feeling when I listen to girls only or girls & boys choirs. I think it has something to do with the fact that the boys voice is more softer than the girl voice. Anyway that\'s another topic. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway, well done and keep \'em coming! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Gotcha Soundsmith [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You\'re right [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum