• Register
  • Help

Topic: Poll: CD-DVD Mac-PC

Share/Bookmark

Poll: CD-DVD Mac-PC

Just a short question regarding our upcoming Kontakt releases: The PMI Gandioso Steinway D and PMI Bösendorfer 290 (and the Post Estonia and Post Piano Suite) grand piano libraries in Native Instruments Kontakt format are almost finished. Sheduled release is somewhere in the next weeks.

We are now looking at the -many- distribution format options [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ; multiple cd\'s or DVD. What is best?

And which format is most used: Mac or PC?
    Can Mac users read WAV-files just as easily as PC users? And do all Mac users know how to read compressed WinRar files? If not what compressed distribution format serves both worlds best?

Your opinions or suggestions are welcome!

Michiel Post

Re: Poll: CD-DVD Mac-PC

I haven\'t figured out a way to open rar files in OS 9, and my DVD drive just puked in my powerbook (which isn\'t cheap, still debating on getting a new one). I would rather put your pianos on a pc for the maple fx. It would also be cheaper for me to build a piano pc than buy OSX and a new DVD drive anyways. I still love my powerbook though....

Aaron Dirk

Hi Michiel !

> multiple cd\'s or DVD. What is best?
    It may be better to release DVD and CD rom versions as long as your libraries stays in the 1~3 GB range...
    > which format is most used: Mac or PC?
    With all the huge Kontakt libraries to come, every serious composer will probably need to stack cheaper, basic Kontakt rigs, which means PC.
    > Can Mac users read WAV-files just as easily as PC users?
    AIFF was common on mac for a long time, I don\'t think it makes a difference today...
    > do all Mac users know how to read compressed WinRar files?
    Like ngstime I can\'t open RAR 3.0 files with MacOS 9.2.2.
    >If not what compressed distribution format serves both worlds best?
    Stuffit .sit and .zip files seems ok under both platforms...

Christian

Michiel,
    Go with DVD! All of my new releases will be DVD. I am hoping that people won\'t complain too much, if they have to buy a dvd reader. DVD\'s are more convenient, cheaper to produce and better for the environment.

Originally posted by Nick Phoenix:
    Michiel,
    Go with DVD! All of my new releases will be DVD. I am hoping that people won\'t complain too much, if they have to buy a dvd reader. DVD\'s are more convenient, cheaper to produce and better for the environment.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Absolutely! DVD readers are very inexpensive (well under $100US). However, one caution is the actual DVD Format you choose. I suggest you stick with DVD-R, NOT DVD+R.

Another issue is duplication. We just did a short test with Tom Hopkins of GOS. A high quality DVD ROM disk will lower customer service/replacement issues. Another factor could be the speed. 2X seemed to work much better than 4X.

Regarding consumer response to DVDs...

In our sales of VSL, we had no issues whatsoever. I\'m seeing that most people just accept that it\'s easier, and less confusing, to install from 1 DVD than it is from 5 CDs. In fact, if anything, I think people gained a real understanding of how much data is really on a DVD after installing 90GB of data!

So burn away on DVD!

PA

DVD\'s are very cheap and are becoming standard,

however you *could* do a short run and charge a bit more for CD runs even 20 bucks or so, just for manufacturing and producing (in case no one wants CD) costs.

there\'s also the option of pre-order set ups where you can check runs before you do them.

then again, I\'m probably talking about options that will raise the price of the libs too much.

Have I mentioned I owe you money? if not Forget I said it and you\'ll get a surprise [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Its been on my mind for a while and has been amplified because I\'ve been frustrated with my current position, and want to make a public statement about how supportive you\'ve been without pushing, and that I haven\'t forgot.

I would go for DVD\'s. I\'m running out of space for all these CD\'s!

I purchased a name brand DVD drive for $45 just a couple months ago for my wife\'s computer. It\'s a 16x drive that plays CD\'s at 48x.

Only Mac OS X can read RAR 3.0 so RAR could be a problem. If its an older version of RAR than that might be ok but MarRAR\'s never been that great really, and since no-one cares about OS 9 any more its unlikely to get any better.

Go Back to forum