• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Topic: Memory

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Memory

    Hi everybody,

    A lot of 'old' stuff has been dug up lately and many little jewels have turned up. Maybe another very old composition, reworked recently with Garritan, Kontakt5, Notion and Audacity.

    "Memory" was written by a friend of mine in 1968 (J. Lecluyze). He was then 18 years old. Now he is a retired professional musician and was head of the Music Academy of Menen and member of the Central Exam Commission for Music. He was a master in musicology and teacher of classical harmony.
    I reworked the piece, respecting his musical ideas as much as possible.

    Instrumentation: 3 saxes, horn, 3 trumpets, organ, rhythm guitar, solo guitar, violin, cello, bass, mandolin section.

    Memory

    Enjoy the listen!

    Max

  2. #2

    Re: Memory

    Nice rendering on a lovely piece of music. If your friend hasn't heard it, he should. You have marvelous DAW skills, I forgot I was listening to a computer performance. I love the delicateness of this piece. It sure sounds like it was written in the 60's. A wonderful horn counter-melody in the middle just helps to accentuate this delicate piece.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

    Challenge #10 Winner

  3. #3

    Re: Memory

    Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    Nice rendering on a lovely piece of music. If your friend hasn't heard it, he should. You have marvelous DAW skills, I forgot I was listening to a computer performance. I love the delicateness of this piece. It sure sounds like it was written in the 60's. A wonderful horn counter-melody in the middle just helps to accentuate this delicate piece.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Bill

    Believe it or not, Bill, but the only DAW I use is Audacity, a limited free application for Mac. All the rest has been done with my notation program (I'm a kind of old fashioned musician: everything must be readable on paper in a score, ready to be performed...). I've always been using Finale, but the last 3 years, I preferred Notion, just because of its performance 'ease'.

    Max

  4. #4

    Re: Memory

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Believe it or not, Bill, but the only DAW I use is Audacity, a limited free application for Mac. All the rest has been done with my notation program (I'm a kind of old fashioned musician: everything must be readable on paper in a score, ready to be performed...). I've always been using Finale, but the last 3 years, I preferred Notion, just because of its performance 'ease'.

    Max
    Well, you do a marvelous job. I will have to look up Notion. Seems to me I ran across it a couple of years ago. I used to do everything in Finale, but my brother, Randy and some others have dragged me kicking and screaming into the world of DAW.

    Again, nice piece of music.

    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

    Challenge #10 Winner

  5. #5

    Re: Memory

    My compliments to your friend on this music. It sounds kind of like a tango to me. There are some nice short phrases that add a lot of character to this. What you have done makes it a pleasure to listen to.
    Thanks. Jay

  6. #6
    Senior Member fastlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Shelton, Washington State
    Posts
    3,024

    Re: Memory

    Max


    I really enjoyed listening to your working of your friends music from his youth.

    Great job on the arrangement and blending of the instruments.

    It sounds european folk/classical to me with the mandolins.

    You've found good tools with Notion and Audacity.


    Great work!





    Phil

  7. #7

    Re: Memory

    Hello Max,

    What a lovely thing to do for a friend!

    The piece is a very enjoyable one, reminding me of South American folklore
    and also of… music in Western movies…!
    Some folklore music, even from far apart countries, can have quite a resemblance.

    You have done a very nice job in orchestrating, giving it a rich, full and interesting texture.

    Bring us some more!

    ~ Yudit ~

  8. #8

    Re: Memory

    Hi Yudit,

    My friend has heard it and reorchestrated his youth work for his present day banjo ensemble. It's due to me that he 'rediscovered' it and thought it worthy for a new approach.
    And you're quite right, it reminds more than once of a western movie in a kind of Mexican style. I think his got his inspiration from an early Morricone score (although he never confirmed this).

    Thank you for your kind comment. I will pass it through.

    Max

  9. #9

    Re: Memory

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    ..."Memory" was written by a friend of mine in 1968 (J. Lecluyze). He was then 18 years old. Now he is a retired professional musician and was head of the Music Academy of Menen and member of the Central Exam Commission for Music. He was a master in musicology and teacher of classical harmony. I reworked the piece, respecting his musical ideas as much as possible...
    What a great back story this piece has - And you've worked miracles with your arrangement and production of it, Max. Love it.

    Randy

Go Back to forum

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •