• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Joy to the World (Jazz and Big Band)

Share/Bookmark

Joy to the World (Jazz and Big Band)

I would love feedback, comments, and critiques. I'd be especially interested in feedback from Frank D'Erasmo who had a very nice jazz and big band entry in this year's Christmas CD.

https://soundcloud.com/phillip-cartw...d-jazz-and-big

Re: Joy to the World (Jazz and Big Band)

I enjoyed your swinging rendition of Joy To The World.

I think I liked the full band more than the bass and drum sections but I'm not a jazz person.

Thanks for posting this.

Phil

Very nice Phil. That quirky Charlie Haden-ish solo bass introduction!
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Hi Philip,

I'm not a jazz person either, but on this forum, I've learned to appreciate jazz and that it is absolutely worth the while to spend some time to get deeper into the (new) world of complex chords and sequences. You confirmed that with your swinging arrangement. It's not difficult or 'heavy' stuff, but a light, elegant jazz version of a well known Xmas song. This could be a risk, but you did a terrific job: it's refreshingly new and quite pleasant to listen to. Thank you for this out-of-the-common-version.

Max

Oh, what fun! I really enjoyed this, especially the cool trumpet solo! Very nice, Phil!

Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    I'm not a jazz person either, but on this forum, I've learned to appreciate jazz and that it is absolutely worth the while to spend some time to get deeper into the (new) world of complex chords and sequences.
    Ehi, Max, by joining this forum you validate that learning is an ever going process.
    I remeber you not so long ago complaining about not friendly composer forums.
    Welcome to this shore!
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Phillip! Thank you for posting your jazzy Christmas music for us to hear. - It's a great bonus track to the Garritan album! Very cool, and my wife and I have really enjoyed it this morning.

Hey, I know you're especially wanting some feedback from Frank, since his piece this year is also jazz, and he's such a jazz meister. I'm sure his response will be especially good to read. In the meantime, while you're waiting for Frank, here are a few reactions from me:

-- The spare bass and drums opening is a nice surprise for the opening. Then, I feel it continues longer than it could have. To me, there's an issue going on here, which is about the difference between live musicians and virtual instrument tracks. In a club, a bass player could hold our interest just fine with that full first statement of "Joy's" theme, but the same level of interest really can't be maintained as well with samples. That's what's going for me with this opening anyway.

-- There's something similar going on with the trumpet solo. The second half is more effective than the first half which feels a bit stiff and not as embellished as what a live trumpet player would do. It's like I was hearing the suggestion of a solo, but it just wasn't quite managing to get the level of excitement that a band would be able to get with the same material.

I think both of those comments are speaking to how it's more difficult to capture the groove and feeling of jazz with virtual instruments than it is to emulate the more controlled sound of an orchestra. And I bet that's exactly the sort of thing Frank will be able to comment on.

Since the opening solo bass seemed too extended, I felt let down when it returned to at the end. I was enjoying the band in the middle part, and was hoping/expecting maybe a mood lifting modulation up for a big finish. Returning, still in the same key, to the simple bass line is something that theoretically could work structurally, but I felt disappointed. I wasn't feeling the Joy I was hoping to feel.

Well, I could see you've sincerely asked for reactions, both here and in General Discussion - so I wanted to pass on my own personal reactions. Maybe these are useful pieces of feedback. But really the bottom line for me is that I did enjoy your work, Phillip. It's only in hyper-critical mode that I've made these observations.

Thanks again for posting this!

Randy

yo phillip! This is a good listen. The intention of a big band comes thru. For me, it is difficult to capture a lazy section articulation like the great bands(ellington, basie , etc). That combined with exaggerated accents makes the orchestra come alive. It takes more work than I want to spend so I have not orchestrated for a big band. I am sure input from Frank would be useful for both of us. I remember when I first bought garritan stuff, I was knocked over by an incredible sample orchestration by (I think his name was) Paul Reed. If you get a chance, give it a listen. It should still be on the garritan site.
    Thanks for the post. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Ehi, Max, by joining this forum you validate that learning is an ever going process.
    I remeber you not so long ago complaining about not friendly composer forums.
    Welcome to this shore!

Indeed, my dear Fabio, what a world of difference.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post
    I would love feedback, comments, and critiques. I'd be especially interested in feedback from Frank D'Erasmo who had a very nice jazz and big band entry in this year's Christmas CD.

https://soundcloud.com/phillip-cartw...d-jazz-and-big
    Hey Phillip!

Great to hear your arrangement; I've listened a couple of times and really like what you did here. Also, so glad you posted it for us to hear along with all the other Christmas music ... it's that time of year! I can't believe how our humble jazz community is growing! Fantastic!

I've also read all the comments left thus far (thru Jay's) ... I think I may be able to offer a few suggestions on virtual JaBB creation, but will need to do so later on tonight or tomorrow (I haven't even had time to listen to the Christmas CD yet!)

I'll get back to you soon ...

Frank

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast