• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Sampling Defrag

Share/Bookmark

OT: Sampling Defrag

All,

A hopefully useful tip for you. We all know the benefits of Defrag on our PCs but i\'ve recently discovered a way of greatly improving access speeds.

I\'ve been using VSL via HALION and therefore have a harddisk full of thousands of samples (after converting the GIGAs) - defrag helped but I recently found an alternative called \"O+O defrag\". This allows you to defrag and order your files alphabetically - which is fantastic for samples as it puts them all togehter - in the case of HALIONized samples this means the preload and search times are notably faster - not sure you\'d get the same benefit from large single files (a la GIGA), but for multiple small sampled WAVs as HALION uses its a godsend.

Ok so it took about 16hours [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] to defrag on my external firewire drive - but the results seem to be well worth it. Anyone else had experience of this or similar housekeeping tips?

Re: OT: Sampling Defrag

You\'re using VSL with HALion!?! How?? Do any of the tools work, does anything really work in fact?

Hi Hasen.

Yes I\'m using HALion with VSL - works fine (I have a first composition up on my web site if you\'re interested (note its a first effort and i\'m only new at composing).

Anyway, I have the GIGA version of VSL which imports nicely into HALion. The performance tools work fine, I use MIDIYoke to send/receive information to and from the Perf Tools and this works well. You can either play live (in which case you use 1 channel in your mixer - e.g. Cubase) or have a channel containing the master data routed (over MIDIYoke) to the Perf Tools and back in (again with MIDIYoke) to a seperate channel which OUTs to HALION- it sounds worse than it is.

I keep thinking about posting up a tutorial - if there\'s interest let me know and I\'ll see what I can do.

Cheers

Originally posted by Tim Kiel:
    Hi Hasen.

Yes I\'m using HALion with VSL - works fine (I have a first composition up on my web site if you\'re interested (note its a first effort and i\'m only new at composing).

Anyway, I have the GIGA version of VSL which imports nicely into HALion. The performance tools work fine, I use MIDIYoke to send/receive information to and from the Perf Tools and this works well. You can either play live (in which case you use 1 channel in your mixer - e.g. Cubase) or have a channel containing the master data routed (over MIDIYoke) to the Perf Tools and back in (again with MIDIYoke) to a seperate channel which OUTs to HALION- it sounds worse than it is.

I keep thinking about posting up a tutorial - if there\'s interest let me know and I\'ll see what I can do.

Cheers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">you can do same thing using Kontakt.

Anyone else had experience of this or similar housekeeping tips?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Tim, my only tip is to use a good \"defragging app\" like Diskeeper as it does a better job than the inbuilt windows utility. It also defrags the swap file.

How do you do an \"O + O defrag\"??? Is that part of the windows disk defragmenter, or is it a separate program???

Pleeease someone post a tutorial on how to do this as Ive been tring to figure out how to route the Votat utility through Kontakt.Just cant wrap my head around it yet..Rich

O+ODefrag is a seperate program (with a 30 day free trial - always good for struggling musicians. I\'ll also work on a tutorial for HAL and VSL and hopefully have one up this weekend.

Originally posted by Tim Kiel:
    Hi Hasen.

Cheers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Wow. I trust this would only work on a pc though? There is not a performance tool as such on the Mac to my knowledge. I\'d be interested in a tutorial nonetheless. Did you convert everything with HALion\'s own converter?

It all sounds like its working well in your piece anyway. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum