• Register
  • Help

Topic: RAM limitations in G5s and other stuff.

Share/Bookmark

Re: RAM limitations in G5s and other stuff.

I think the second part is the $4500 question, Marsdy. Without having done the maths, my guess is that FW 800 should have the bandwidth to handle at least two HDs\' worth of streaming, possibly three.

Panther is supposed to be out this year, but it remains to be seen how much you can get out of a single machine.

Meanwhile, I have another question for the brain trust.

When the Quicksilver Macs came out, the largest PC133 SDRAM chips (which is what they use) were 512MB. So with three slots, the max is 1.5GB.

Now there are 1GB chips, though, and I wonder whether you can get OS X to recognize 2GB if you put a 1GB chip in one of those slots. 3GB seems unlikely, since the 32-bit chip isn\'t able to recognize more than 2GB; it would have to be OS X, since OS 9 doesn\'t go past 1.5. But an extra 512MB would be very handy for our aims, of course.

Could this kind of risqué behavior possibly work?

I\'ve no idea Nick. Not sure I\'d want to try it on my own Mac!!!!

I did a Google search on my G5 RAM question and a few sites are saying the OS will recognise 8gb but applications can only address 4gb even with Panther

here\'s one:
    http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=4009

I couldn\'t afford to buy 8x 1gb sticks anyway so it\'s moot point but I\'d like to get an answer. There doesn\'t seem to be one on the Apple site.

Here\'s a guy who put 8gb in a Mac:
    http://www.accelerateyourmac.com/G5/G5_8GB_ram_tests.htm
    but seemed unable to test it [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Firstly, loading up on 8gigs of RAM shouldn\'t take more than a couple of minutes. I can copy about 5-6 gigs from internal drive to internal drive in less than 5 minutes...RAM should be even faster.

Secondly, Panther is expected within the next 30 days.

Thirdly, G4 max supported RAM is 2 gigs, but if your computer maxes out at 1.5, that\'s what you\'re stuck with.

Midphase
    I think a couple of minutes to load 8gb of Samples is a tad optimistic. It\'s taking a lot longer than that to load Logic songs containing 1.3 gb of EXS and EWQLSO samples on my system. Same deal loading big Giga and V Stack saves on my two PCs. I\'m not sure you can equate Finder copies with sample load times.

Originally posted by Nick Batzdorf:
    Meanwhile, I have another question for the brain trust.

When the Quicksilver Macs came out, the largest PC133 SDRAM chips (which is what they use) were 512MB. So with three slots, the max is 1.5GB.

Now there are 1GB chips, though, and I wonder whether you can get OS X to recognize 2GB if you put a 1GB chip in one of those slots. 3GB seems unlikely, since the 32-bit chip isn\'t able to recognize more than 2GB; it would have to be OS X, since OS 9 doesn\'t go past 1.5. But an extra 512MB would be very handy for our aims, of course.

Could this kind of risqué behavior possibly work?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">OSX most certainly can see and use 2 gig of ram. I have a dual 1 ghz G4 with 2 gig installed.

Should have read more closely.
    You want to exceed 2 gig and want to know if 2 gig of that would be available.
    Now that\'s a good question.

OS X definitely recognizes 2GB of RAM. The question is whether it will recognize 2GB (not more, just 2GB) if I put it in a Quicksilver Mac.

Thirdly, G4 max supported RAM is 2 gigs, but if your computer maxes out at 1.5, that\'s what you\'re stuck with.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Do you know that as a fact, or are you just quoting the cut sheet? I know what the specs are as well as you do, but as I said, they were written when there were no 1GB PC133 chips. Now there are. I\'ve seen this with other Mac models that could use larger chips than originally specified.

Now, there may well be a good reason that you\'re right. But I want to know that you know this authoritatively before just accepting it.

Thinking about it, I remember reading some buzzword computer ****e about dual-channel memory, so that may be my answer.

RAM limitations in G5s and other stuff.

Is it true that OSX 10.2.7 only supports 2gb RAM in a G5 and above that amount won\'t be recognised until Panther is released?

I was also wondering about sample load times with 4 or 8 gb of RAM installed. I\'m having visions of it taking 20 or 30 minutes to load a song [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

And then once seven and a half gig or whatever of samples is actually loaded, I was wondering about streaming samples off disk. I\'m succesfully spooling EXS samples off both the system disk and a second ATA drive simulataneously on my G4 and getting a lot of voices. I was wondering if it is going to be practical to spool off a couple of external Firewire drives as well.

Hi,

It is true. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

FV

Go Back to forum