• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: The Mozart demo -- is that the best VSL can do?

Share/Bookmark

The Mozart demo -- is that the best VSL can do?

For those who have the VSL package:
    Re the VSL site demo ``Eine Kleine Nachtmusik\'\' -- do you believe that\'s the best that the VSL can do? It sounds very, very good, but not perfect. Some of the phrasing seems slightly off, and generally a bit too ``legatoey,\'\' not sharp enough. A couple of the trilly bits are off, too. Is that because of a lack of flexibility in the string patches? Or, could the demo have been improved further with more meticulous programming, changing of patches for individual notes, and so forth?

regards,
    Arch

Re: The Mozart demo -- is that the best VSL can do?

Just like software, it\'s always an issue of time to market versus quality. I\'d love to have more \"visibility\" into the configuration and time on task for various demos. If it took the arranger 10 minutes, it\'s one thing - if it took them 10 hours it\'s another... which might be a reflection on the computer system, the library or the user...

I had the same general reaction to that demo, but there are some stellar moments as well. So, on balance I\'m sure it\'s as good as purported to be - and as I\'ve said in another thread - it\'s high time that the libraries are *no longer* the bottleneck in rendering good virtual scores, but the limits of the composers themselves...

The \"Eine Kleine Nachtmusik\" piece sounds also very synthetic to me. The other classical pieces also sound like played on a cheap keyboard.
    And all this for a price of more than 5000 euro\'s!

Its the way its programed,not the library.I`d bet if Herb went back and re-tweeked that piece it would improve considerably. Rich

Some pieces indeed sound better like \"The Blue Danube Waltz (prelude)\" programmed by Herb Tucman. Very well done!

What? I think \"Eine Kleine Nachtmusik\" is one of the best strings demos I\'ve ever heard. You guys are joking, right? LOL, synthetic, LOL! Next time, please use the winky smiley . This is so funny! LOL, cheap keyboard, LOL. HAHAHA, stop it! Stop it!

------------
    Alex Cremers

Originally posted by Luigi:
    The \"Eine Kleine Nachtmusik\" piece sounds also very synthetic to me. The other classical pieces also sound like played on a cheap keyboard.
    And all this for a price of more than 5000 euro\'s!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Which keyboard?

Originally posted by chocothrax:
    There is a new classical demo called \"Apollo and Daphne\" on the VSL site, It\'s very impressive.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Especially the last part with the rapid strings!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Come again?

------------
    Alex Cremers

I agree - I think the Apollo and Daphne demo is excellent. I doubt any other library could get remotely close to the quality of articulations in this demo.

Also the tempo of the Mozart piece isn\'t always right. It\'s to legato too.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast