• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Sunday Afternoon (my last post for the year.)

Share/Bookmark

A Sunday Afternoon (my last post for the year.)

I originally wrote this piece for orchestra and choir but recently rewrote it for wind ensemble. Here is the comparison:

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...0Afternoon.mp3

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...0Ensemble).mp3

Happy Holidays everyone.

Mitch
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Re: A Sunday Afternoon (my last post for the year.)

A beautiful piece, Mitch.

To be honest, I prefer the orchestral version (although the orchestral and instrumental sound could be better and more natural, and I don't actually like the light choir voices). But as a whole, it pleases me more than the second version.
    Did you have real words in mind for the choir? In your wind version, the instruments seem to play 'syllables', a rhythmic approach that sounds somewhat forced in the context. The overall sound reminds me of an organ (too much synchronisation between the separate instruments due to the perfection of their ensemble playing. It is a nice arrangement, but it requires more tweaking to make it feel 'live' and make more distinction between the groups.

In the orchestral version, the strings (sound good) can have some more difference as well (start stop times, release lengthening, varying volumes). Maybe you could add some solo strings to the ensembles to build more sound relief.

But as I said, an adorable piece. I enjoyed it, thanks for sharing.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Max

Mitch, there's no doubt about it, but you have the heart and soul of an authentic romantic - and I mean that in a Good way. Your lush, sweeping "A Sunday Afternoon" could have been taken straight from the sound track of a big 1940's Warner Brothers movie, probably one starring Bette Davis - and I mean That in a good way too!

Since you've posted the two versions, you're probably interested in people's preferences. Along with Max, I prefer the orchestral version (despite the unfortunate inadequacies of the choir samples). It's probable that the woodwind version would sound fine, maybe even superior in an actual performance, but Max has pointed out the artificiality of that rendering due to quantization, and I concur.

That was a good question Max asked about lyrics - did you have some in mind for this? In both versions, there are some passages that have a "syllabic" quality to them when legato seems like it would have fit the mood more appropriately--? Or perhaps it's a matter of sample shortcomings.

One more note, one I've found myself saying a number of times recently in response to posts. It seems to me the default settings for the release times of Garritan string samples are just a fraction too abrupt. That wasn't an issue in the earlier versions of GPO, but it is now in the ARIA versions. Happily, there's a Length control, and I find that moving that to the right a bit gives a more natural, more musical ending for notes, especially in something as flowing as your piece. You may want to experiment with that.

Lovely piece - I've enjoyed it very much this Christmas Eve morning - so thanks!

Randy

Words? Sorry to disappoint but I have no words for this song. Not one of my strong suits. I just write instrumentals. Not much with words I'm afraid. Maybe in my next life... Thanks for listening. And to be honest - I agree with both of you that the orchestral version is my favorite also.

Mitch
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Thumbs up Re: A Sunday Afternoon (my last post for the year.)

I'm surprised reading that no words were behind... I had the feeling of listening to syllabs as well... LOL

Such a nice polyphonic move, I love harmonies made of independent voicing instead of blocks.

I don't have anything profound to add to this thread but I have to say that I really liked the piece. I was really nice to listen to. Thank you.

Thank you for listening. Glad you liked it.

Go Back to forum