• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Topic: Advice requested on player and engine updates for Garritan JABB

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Advice requested on player and engine updates for Garritan JABB

    Just trying to get the player and engine updates correct for my recent JABB installation...

    Looking at the available download libraries I had to choose between:

    Player version 1.5, described as "The most current ARIA 1.5 update. This update is included with Garritan Classic Pipe Organs and is compatible with other Garritan ARIA Libraries."

    Player version 1.111, described as "
    The most current ARIA Player update for Garritan Personal Orchestra 4, Jazz & Big Band 3, Concert & Marching Band 2, and World Instruments."

    I chose 1.111 as it looked the more appropriate choice. This includes version 1.111 of the engine.

    Later I found out that engine updates are available separately and chose the latest engine, version 1.5.

    When I start ARIA, I now get a message box "Could not find effectcom.Garritan.Ambience bank-1: there surely exists an update for this product?" so something is not right.

    Where did I go wrong? Should I have chosen version 1.5 of the player or should I have not done the engine update?

    Thanks for advice,
    John

  2. #2

    Re: Advice requested on player and engine updates for Garritan JABB

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBarnes View Post
    Just trying to get the player and engine updates correct for my recent JABB installation...

    Looking at the available download libraries I had to choose between:

    Player version 1.5, described as "The most current ARIA 1.5 update. This update is included with Garritan Classic Pipe Organs and is compatible with other Garritan ARIA Libraries."

    Player version 1.111, described as "
    The most current ARIA Player update for Garritan Personal Orchestra 4, Jazz & Big Band 3, Concert & Marching Band 2, and World Instruments."

    I chose 1.111 as it looked the more appropriate choice. This includes version 1.111 of the engine.

    Later I found out that engine updates are available separately and chose the latest engine, version 1.5.

    When I start ARIA, I now get a message box "Could not find effectcom.Garritan.Ambience bank-1: there surely exists an update for this product?" so something is not right.

    Where did I go wrong? Should I have chosen version 1.5 of the player or should I have not done the engine update?

    Thanks for advice,
    John
    Hi, John - Pardon us for letting your question languish. I've made the phrase "...is compatible with other Garritan ARIA Libraries..." in bold text above so you can see that even though that ARIA update has new programming specifically to make Pipe Organs work, it's also compatible with the Libraries that came before.

    The error message you got is the one you'll get with the engine-player mismatch you now have. So, yes, go back and download version 1.5 and I think you'll be OK.

    Randy

  3. #3

    Re: Advice requested on player and engine updates for Garritan JABB

    Thanks, I have done that and all seems well.

  4. #4

    Re: Advice requested on player and engine updates for Garritan JABB

    The Aria Engine web site says the current version is 1.622, released December 21, 2012. I did not see a change log posted. Does anyone know what's been changed? Does anyone recommend upgrading for JABB and GPO?

    Thanks.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Steinway A104030
    Sonar X2 (professional), Finale 2011, JABB 3, GPO

  5. #5

    Re: Advice requested on player and engine updates for Garritan JABB

    Quote Originally Posted by Dean L. Surkin View Post
    The Aria Engine web site says the current version is 1.622, released December 21, 2012. I did not see a change log posted. Does anyone know what's been changed? Does anyone recommend upgrading for JABB and GPO?

    Thanks.
    Hi, Dean - Here's the information I have available for that update:

    "New Aria branding.

    Bug fix: Engine-level CC7/CC10 handling conflicting with Stereo Stage."


    So, this ARIA has new graphics. And the bug being referred to was that CC7 and 10 were mistakenly changing the Stereo Stage settings. That's been fixed now.

    It wouldn't hurt to go for the update.

    Randy

  6. #6

    Re: Advice requested on player and engine updates for Garritan JABB

    I updated my Aria engine to 1.622 and everything seems to be just fine. The player is 1.504.

    Art
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

    Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

  7. #7

    Re: Advice requested on player and engine updates for Garritan JABB

    So there's no Aria Player v. 1.6? The Finale/Garritan website advises not/not to install the engine (now 1.622) unless the player is of the same version. But all I can find is player 1.5, 1.504 actually. Even though my player and engine are compatible versions, they have been erratically changing volume settings and I'm hoping an update will fix that. Anyone have experience or advice on this? thanks!

  8. #8

    Re: Advice requested on player and engine updates for Garritan JABB

    Quote Originally Posted by christopherjhoh View Post
    So there's no Aria Player v. 1.6? The Finale/Garritan website advises not/not to install the engine (now 1.622) unless the player is of the same version. But all I can find is player 1.5, 1.504 actually. Even though my player and engine are compatible versions, they have been erratically changing volume settings and I'm hoping an update will fix that. Anyone have experience or advice on this? thanks!
    Christopher, you're right that keeping up with what we're supposed to do with the ARIA updates is confusing. I've also noticed that warning about mismatching engine and player versions, and for awhile was passing that info on. But then an issue came up where MM had an ARIA update patch labeled wrong, showing a version number smaller than what the actual download was - And at this point, I'm really not positive what the status is on the publicly available ARIA.

    I get even more confused because I'm on the Beta testing team and am always a version or two ahead of things. So, I frankly am now not sure what to tell you or anyone about the downloads. Once again I'll try to get clarification from the programmers. But something else that potentially confuses things is that there are two teams involved - the MM team, and the Garritan development team - they don't seem to always be quite in sync. Maybe someone from either team will notice your thread here and offer some help in straightening this out.

    The more conservative, safe thing to do, would be to not be concerned about grabbing these updates right away if you're not experiencing any issues with your current ARIA.

    But, you're saying that you Are having an issue with what seems to be "...erratically changing volume settings..." That sounds to me like an issue of how your recording software and ARIA are interacting. Volume levels changing in ARIA without interference from a host program is something I've never heard of.

    Using Sonar as an example, since it's the program I use - The volume sliders for the MIDI tracks in a Sonar project have precedence over the volume sliders in ARIA. Moving the sliders in Sonar moves the sliders in ARIA. If a user sets volumes in ARIA's mixer directly, he's going to be unpleasantly surprised when Sonar takes over control, changing the settings. It can seem random, erratic, until it's clear what's going on. The solution is simple - for setting the volumes in ARIA, the user should use the sliders in Sonar. By right clicking, one can get to the option to disable the Sonar slider, but its control will be re-established if the user ever clicks that slider again. For me, it's easier to always let my host program, Sonar, be in control.

    I think it's very possible that what you're describing is due to that kind of situation.

    Randy

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona
    Posts
    4,045

    Re: Advice requested on player and engine updates for Garritan JABB

    I have run into a bug with the ARIA player if you do a reset in Sonar. Sometimes I get a stuck note from another library installed so I hit the reset. This causes all the volume sliders in ARIA to go all the way up! Other plugins don't have this issue. Haven't checked to see if this has been fixed in the latest update.

    Jim

Go Back to forum

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •