• Register
  • Help

Topic: Harmony vocal rack unit? How, sans interpolation?

Share/Bookmark

Harmony vocal rack unit? How, sans interpolation?

I recently heard a singer use a harmony effect rack unit and I was surprised by how good it sounded. I have no interest in buying one of these units, but it provided, somehow, a male tenor voice over her alto. Which confuses me. I\'m almost positive that the upper voice wasn\'t just her voice interpolated. Sounded like a male tenor. Not sure how this could be done. Or am I losing my hearing?

(I started another thread in the Off-Topic forum about country\\folk vocal harmony. I\'d appreciate insights from anyone with knowledge of traditional vocal harmony, too. Not just stacked thirds going on there, or it would be barbershop.)

(Which gives me an idea for the worst sample library ever release: Barbershop Quartet. CD package includes 100 articulations for each voice and four horse hair mustaches. OK, I\'ll post this separately.)

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Harmony vocal rack unit? How, sans interpolation?

Originally posted by Jake Johnson:
    I recently heard a singer use a harmony effect rack unit and I was surprised by how good it sounded. I have no interest in buying one of these units, but it provided, somehow, a male tenor voice over her alto. Which confuses me. I\'m almost positive that the upper voice wasn\'t just her voice interpolated. Sounded like a male tenor. Not sure how this could be done. Or am I losing my hearing?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Formant shifting is the trick most harmonizers use. Some also work like vocoders, and have build-in samples. Depends on the unit. They sound very good. I have one old Korg unit (DVP1 I think) which is one of the coolest ones ever made, even though it can get a little rough at times. Worth it. Also, Digitech has a unit called the Vocalist, which is a nice gig box. Many of the algorithms are included in their other products, like the Studio 400 I use these days in my live rack.

Some of the harmonizers are very slick...you can send patch changes to alter the mode and key, so that they\'ll \"sing\" just about anything you can program up.

Re: Harmony vocal rack unit? How, sans interpolation?

Hey Jake,

I saw a demo of a TC Helicon unit about a year ago, and was pretty impressed:

http://www.tc-helicon.tc/

Go Back to forum