• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Which Sequencer for scoring?

Share/Bookmark

Which Sequencer for scoring?

So here\'s my dilemma...I need to upgrade Cubase 5.1 to the latest greatest sequencer for scoring to video. I don\'t have a Mac and I don\'t want a Mac unless its the Big kind from McDonald\'s, so please leave the Logic and DP laudations at the door, and remember to tip the coat check girl on your way out...she\'s studying to be a proctologist and could certainly use the money.

The contenders are obviously Sonar 3 or SX 2. I digitize video onto my hard drive and compose to those from within the sequencer, so ease of use with this in mind is of primary importance. I\'ve grown accustom to using the Hitpoints feature in 5.1 to mark cue hits and scene/tempo changes, so I\'m looking for something with a similar setup.

I\'m partial to Cubase but, and this is a major king-kong sized butt, the monkey brains at Steinberg killed the ability to place Hitpoints in SX 1.0. That was a huge deal breaker for me so I never upgraded to it. Has this, or something similar to it, been restored in SX 2.0? How does Sonar 3 handle markers/hitpoints and funky-tempo related manipulation and hitpoint placement that\'s so crucial for scoring to video?

Comments? Suggestions? Naked pictures of supermodels? I\'m open to any of the above...thanks!
    -Hudson

Re: Which Sequencer for scoring?

SX 2 has reintroduced some features from the old Cubase VST days plus it now has the Time Warp tool. (I think this replaces the Hit Points function). Basically you can use the time warp tool to figure out a tempo for a piece you played free form and also to align your music in bars and beats to a frame of film.

SX 2 also now lets you import picture and sound together.

I\'m certainly no expert on the scoring aspects of Cubase or how it stacks against Sonar, but I believe SX 2 has made a lot of steps toward being more composer friendly in regard to scoring to picture.

Originally posted by Hudson:

I\'m partial to Cubase but, and this is a major king-kong sized butt, the monkey brains at Steinberg killed the ability to place Hitpoints in SX 1.0. That was a huge deal breaker for me so I never upgraded to it.
    -Hudson
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hudson, I know exactly what you mean, it\'s so frustrating that VST is so good at midi but SX is much better at audio.
    I am hoping that SX2/Nuendo will fix all this, but my Nuendo2 upgrade hasn\'t arrived yet so I don\'t know.
    As Scott says, they have added Time warp which is definitely a step in the right direction but I\'m not sure it totally replaces all the Hitpoint functions
    Anyway, Full manuals for SX2 are available here..

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/fwd/info_downloads/ps/music_production/cubase_sx_20/
    Have read and see what you think.

Brian

Nuendo 2`s probably the best for Film score type stuff,but SX has alot of VST and midi sequencing control.I used to use Neundo and its really solid. Rich

Actually Lee, I dont think he was being nasty, he is looking for a good sequencer but probably doesnt want to factor the price of buying a Mac into the equation if he doesn\'t already own one.

Hudson, you know your humour has got you in trouble before! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Scott and Brian, thanks for your input and the link to the Steinberg pdfs. Very helpful indeed, and the time warp feature looks promising. I\'d be content with something as simple as time locked markers just so I can keep a visual on the hitpoints and it looks like SX 2 can do that. I look forward to giving it a go.

\"Originally posted by Scott Cairns: Hudson, you know your humour has got you in trouble before! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] \"

Jeesh...tell me about it! Lee...valium prescription...look into it. You may be happy thrilled with Emagic and Apple, but if you wanna talk nasty, they created a very foul taste in many a mouth when they left 75,000 PC users high and dry. Oh, and the coat check girl said you\'re a lousy tipper to boot...c\'mon man, spread the love.
    -Hudson

Hi,

Sonar 3.0 Producer looks very promising here..I\'ll be gettting my free upgrade over the next 3 days...

Alan Russell

Hello Alan,

How did you get Sonar 3 upgrade for free? I and everyone else I\'ve heard paid $179 for it.

Now I need to look at Sibelius 3 demo to see if that upgrade will be of any benefit to me.

Jeez...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Do check out SONAR 3.0. It is worth looking at on many levels. Definitely a contender.

Originally posted by Hudson:
    So here\'s my dilemma...I need to upgrade Cubase 5.1 to the latest greatest sequencer for scoring to video.
    ...please leave the Logic and DP laudations at the door...

Comments? Suggestions?
    -Hudson
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hey Hudson,

OK then, here\'s my suggestion to you: Across from MacDonald you\'ll find \"Toys R Us\", I\'m sure you\'ll find what you need there. It\'s cheap, no need to tip anyone. Trust me...

Hope this helps. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum