• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Serious Concern with VSL

Share/Bookmark

Serious Concern with VSL

I have to prefece the following post with the fact that I am still just beginning to go through all the sounds of this large library. That being said I am very concerned with the programming on many of the sounds I have initially tried out and am wondering if there is something that I am missing about the library.

What I am hearing over and over again are layers that are not smoothly crossfaded/programmed. The end result being that a lot of the sounds are completely unplayable (notice I didn\'t say unprogrammable) As a keyboard player who relies on performing the sounds to get a more musical performance, I am finding that I can not musically perform any kind of part when there are 3 distinctly different sounds/levels between the layers. I should be able to play a string run with a smooth pianissimo to fortissimo change. This is not possible with a number of the patches I have tried.

It feels that this is a sign of a rush programming job or a job in progress. Or maybe its just a different approach to sample programming. If so, then it is one that does not work with my approach to music making.

Now I know the library is still only partially finished, but for the price I paid for this library in its current state I expect the sounds that are there to be flushed out a bit better.

Now for the good news... Many of the sounds are brilliantly captured.. the performance tools are very exciting ( the legato tool with the woodwinds gave me chills)... In other words.. I want to figure out a way that I can use this library

So.. what I am hoping is that others of you out there who have had much more time with this product than I have (3 days), have a solution to this troubling first impression.

I am also curious if there are any other people out there who have felt the same way...

-AC

Re: Serious Concern with VSL

Crossfading or velocity switching?

I find that for runs (strings) I dont use the standard staccattos but work with a mix of those and the sfz/dynamic patches, or a mix with the repetition tool (and/or actual runs). There are so many options that I think one needs to just really learn which is the best one to choose for particular sounds.

For woods, I use the legato/grace notes, there\'s nothign better out there. Due to Giga 2.5\'s limitations there are some issues with velocity switching, but that should be taken care of in updates once 3.0 shows up, or maybe there\'ll be a work around in a later version of the performance tool. Damn limitations. For ensembles I have my own workaround for this, but solo\'s will need velocity switching.

I think that sounds like a bit much but it\'ll be true with any huge library, especially one with variations one note.

Maybe you could ty a different velocity curve, it may be that the one they ship with just isn\'t the right choice for you. Also Xfading chort bows can be an option, but I know Herb didn\'t want to lay down too many patches for the start because it could leadd to a bunch of confusion.

I also know that they are working on an art file space where they\'ll share variations on programs that will cater to specific playing styles.

I believe he is talking about velocity switching. I also noticed that the velocity switching between layers is jarring. This is something that should be fixed right away because a lot of people prefer to play their music in that way and not use modwheel crossfading. I know for a fact that this is not a gigastudio limitation because SI Strings does it beautifully.

the gigastudio limitation I wan reffering to is the one to do with dimensions regarding the legato instruments. It cant do velocity switching because those use too many dimensions [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

As for the normal velocity switching, I think there\'ll be a fw art files on the site at some poitn with different velocity curves. Its sort of the same idea that each piano plays different due to settings. Again I think its jsut they didn\'t want to overwhelm you guys with too many different variations on patches and just gave everyone a \"starting point\"

Hmmm velocity switching will be near impossible to make smooth unless you use some 16+ layers. But I think they did a terrific job on VSL compared to so many other libraries. DDBE and VSL have my favourite velocity patches of all libraries.

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    Hmmm velocity switching will be near impossible to make smooth unless you use some 16+ layers. But I think they did a terrific job on VSL compared to so many other libraries. DDBE and VSL have my favourite velocity patches of all libraries.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">There are a few that are incredibly awesome, but there are also a few patches where the difference between, for example velocity 55 and 56, is rather big. The volume just ramps up suddently between those two and when playing, you will get undesirable results.

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    Hmmm velocity switching will be near impossible to make smooth unless you use some 16+ layers.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well then you need velocity crossfading. So like modwheel x-fading, only not controlled by modwheel, but by velocity. Makes it way smoother. And can be done in all soft samplers.

Maarten

not to mention adding filters in the Xfades helps too, especially for brass

Yes, I have been speaking about this limited gradual filtering which permits to attenuate the transitions jumps between velocities... People have disregarded most of my comments or just treated me like a whining moron (I have no problem with that! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ), but having seen and heard my friend work with his e-mu sampler, it is absolutely clear that without proper implementation of filtering and envelope control in a sampler, the sound banks are more or less condemned to sound half as good as they could. This velocity transition is very long to program, for an example, it took my friend a whole week full time to tweak a bosendorfer library, but his polished 260 megs program sounds way, WAY better than the original 1.5 gigs program. I might post an example to show you what I mean if you are interested.

Yes, but the consumer should not have to worry or fix these problems. It\'s disappointing that VSL would be released when the instruments that are available are are not all programmed well.

Go Back to forum