• Register
  • Help

Topic: Renaissance Period Instruments

Share/Bookmark

Renaissance Period Instruments

Greetings,

I\'m looking for sources for Renaissance/early Baroque period instruments (viola, viola da Gamba, recorder,harpsichord etc) suitable for chamber music. Any such libraries out there (EXS24)?

Thanks!

Re: Renaissance Period Instruments

I think X-sample made a Viola de Gamba. Check soundsonline. Rich

Early Patches CD is a classic
    http://www.sumerauer.de/early_patches/

As far as I know, the only place you will find a sampled viola da gamba is in the \"Historical Instruments\" volume of the Sound Scan series from Universal Sound Bank. This volume also contains a harpsichord, fortepiano, baroque flutes, celtic harp and accordians. None of this stuff is of the highest quality, but it is useable.

I have the X-Sample set and I can tell you that there is no viola da gamba in there. There is however a vintage guitar in volume 2, which makes quite a good lute imitation. See this thread:

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=004988

For historical keyboard instruments check out Michiel Post\'s collection:

http://www.postpiano.com/

A little while ago someone posted some free Krumhorn samples. Try doing a search on this forum.

If it\'s recorders you want the Early Patches CD has two sets, but treat them with caution. When I loaded them I discovered that the Sopranino and Alto recorders use exactly the same samples. The disc is also very useful for handdrums, but the programs included only use two dynamic levels. If you want more layers you have to build your own programs using the .wav samples (up to 7 dynamics) on the second disc.

> When I loaded them I discovered that the Sopranino and Alto recorders
    > use exactly the same samples.

Sorry for the late reply (I surely would have reacted earlier if I only had known)

Yep, there is in fact a bug in the Moeck recorder set and it is a bit different from what pingu states:

The "MOEK ALT CC7" and "MOEK ALT VEL" have the wrong samples assigned. They are using the Soprano samples instead of the Alto samples.

The "MOEK ALT CC2" patch uses the correct samples of the Moeck Alto recorder.

For soft sampler users there is a very simple workaround for this error:
    Please ignore the faulty patches "MOEK ALT CC7" and "MOEK ALT VEL". and use "MOEK ALT CC2" instead. No softsampler imports the Midi Ctrl assignments of the AKAI anyway.
    If You are using an Akai Sampler then please use the "MOEK ALT CC2" patch and change the Vellocity and Ctrl settings according to your needs. Sorry for the inconvinience.

And please: If You find an error in my samples then please do tell me. My email adress is: andreas@soundbytes.de

Thanks!

Andreas Sumerauer

Renaissance Flutes - A full set of recorders at www.sampletekk.com, if you hurry you can even get the DirectDownload with a 50% discount.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Andreas - how about that Banchetto Musicale library that you are working on? Your website says it was due in october.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Witkam
    Andreas - how about that Banchetto Musicale library that you are working on? Your website says it was due in october.
    Hi Herman,

Thanks for asking. We have again a little delay. The Halion, Kontakt and Vsampler versions are virtually finished now. I am now starting a bigger testig round. Public distribution will start when this is done (I expect that to be mid december) I am afraid I had to postpone the EXS version for a while. It will appear together with the Giga release early next Year.
    Anybody on my mailinglist will hear from me soon.

Best regards

Andreas Sumerauer

Go Back to forum