• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Resources for music theory and how music affects us

Share/Bookmark

Resources for music theory and how music affects us

Dear everybody,

I need to find literature, online resources, on how music/sound/ambiences influences the human being. This can be music theory, cognitive theory, psychological theory or whatever might be appropiate in the given context.

Reason is I am currently conducting preliminary studies on how sound/music influences us. Though we have great libraries here, I have still have problems finding the right sources of information.

Hope to hear from the wise ones here.

Isabella Rowlins

Re: Resources for music theory and how music affects us

Hi Isabella,

I would recommend looking at \"The Psychology of Music\" written by Carl Seashore.

Gary

I highly recommend: Music, The Brain And Ecstasy: How Music Captures Our Imagination by Robert Jourdain. First rate. The book breaks music down into tone, melody, harmony, rhythmn, form, ... and attempts to explain how our brains understand/make sense of/interpret them.

Oh thank you very much.

I will get both titles as fast as possible. The studies within this field must be fascinating. Could any of you elaborate briefly on the content of the books?

*S*

Isabella Rowlins

Hi Isabella,
    I think that this book may help. \" The Mozart Effect \".
    \" Tapping the power of music to heal the body, Strengthen the mind and unlock the creative spirit.\"

It Really gets into how music effects us. You can read more about it at www.mozarteffect.com
    This is one of my favorites.

Isabella,

I read Pyschology of Music about 25 years ago and there are things from that reading that will remain with me forever. Seashore did a study to show how one\'s vision can be used to develop your hearing. I do a variation of the study in my own teaching today. I have short sessions with students who have intonation problems. They will listen to a pitch and then try to match it on their own instrument while looking at a strobe or tuner. They can now visually see that they are playing sharp or flat and immediately begin to adjust. After a few sessions the visual aid is taken away and they can now hear if they\'re not centering the pitch. It\'s a fantastic tool..............................and book.

Gary

There\'s a book by Helmholtz (sp?) on the sensation of tone in music. Published by Dover available at Amazon. Also look for Juan Roederer\'s THE PHYSICS AND PSYCHOPHISICS OF MUSIC-

Thank you so much everybody.

I recently realized yet another gap in my mediocre pool of knowledge. I have never really studied the deeper psychological/affective/cognitive parts of music/sound and how it influences us.

I will look forward checking the references on the works cited here.

I am also interested in literature that explain how \"sound\" affects us aswell. Not only music as we know it. But also how voices, soundfx, common day sounds and other recognizable sounds that influences us.

Thanks so much again everybody.

Isabella Rowlins

Isabella,

In addition to several of the aforementioned texts, may I suggest some others that may be of varying general interest in your search...

The Unanswered Question, by Leonard Bernstein

Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner

Just Being at the Piano by?I forget

The Psychology of Music by? (a hazy memory from a Psych of music class i read while at The Manhattan School of Music)

I hope these help...or at least lead you to something that does.

Best reagrds,
    Didier

Isabella,

Sir George Martin produced a three part program for US cable channel Ovation that was incredible. It talked to why and exactly what it is about music that \"moves\" us. He even experiments with various chord progressions etc and tries to define what \"makes a good song\".

Here is link to the program. At the very bottom of the page, the program\'s next airing schedule is listed. Maybe \"somebody\" here on NS has Ovation (I do not), or maybe you have some friends in US that have and can tape the program for you. It is a three part series.

http://www.ovationtv.com/artszone/programs/rhythm1/before.html

Possibly Ovation will give you the transcript free.

Go Back to forum