• Register
  • Help

Topic: Suggestions on this SHORT piece?

Suggestions on this SHORT piece?

I\'m trying to take a new approach to learning to write orchestral, I guess the one thing I\'m trying to learn is to take learning orchestral composition in BITE sited, not whole sandwich sized chucks, as I\'m getting too overwhelmed. Believe me, I\'m getting a very healthy level of respect for the depth and complexity some of you guys are doing on here.

At any rate, I wrote a short 16 second piece, which is just that, a piece. I\'m looking for suggestions for improvements, things you\'d add, change, do differently, sound, anything really, and try to learn as I go here. This is really one of my first attempts at using all the big libraries together.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Suggestions on this SHORT piece?

How about doing a nice sweeping string part after that with a romantic kind of tone? I think it could fit in nicely. Maybe you could do some variations on the part you\'ve just done afterwords?

Well, that\'s certainly an intriguing 16 seconds. The problem with bite sized music is it\'s not enough to say much about. I like the horns.... the theme sounds stereotypical, but has promise. Give us more!

Steve Chandler

Hi Steve,

Yes, it isn\'t much, I\'m more interested in mistakes of placement of the sounds, other ideas for fill in instruments, stuff like that. I keep listening to scores going \'man, what\'s that built of\' and still ain\'t sure. Guess I really need to grab sheet music and start digging.

This is just my 2 cents but I would yank/pan the brass line to the left and use a horn sample with an expression envelope. It would even be better if you use a filter envelope or crossfade to go from mf to mp on tail ends. You can add some woodwinds (not flutes unless you go another octave higher somewhere down the line) to the high-end on violins. On the low end of the same section you can add violas to round out middle space to give a bit of a balance and weight vs the loud brass line. I guess you can also do standard stuff like cellos with basses playing 8va below. Trambones and bassoons are also an option with cellos/basses. You can switch double bass from short-bow to pizzicato for different texture. Of course you will have to balance everything out very carefully to get a nice overall sound.

I think you did a great job with the percussion, it\'s not overdone for the piece.

Like everybody else, I would love to hear more.

Good luck.

Thanks Gulliver! More specifics like yours are greatly appreciated! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I added and/or finished the piece at 52 seconds with some suggestions from someone else, and came up with the following.

Time to fire up the second machine and add in your other suggestions as well. Keep \'em coming folks. This place is great! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks again.

Here\'s my opinion...

Try to play a bit more with strings, maybe a more pronounced march rhytm on low strings, and maybe arpeggiated triole chords on violines in second part. Try doubling the horn line with first violine octave higher in second part as well.

Add some woodwinds, counterpoint (is that the word? *kontrapunkt*) melody in second part on flutes + carinets would fit nice.

Add trombones with chord progression.

You could also play with dynamics, and introduction of instruments, start in mf, and in second half add all the things I mentioned above and try going f...

Also, I don\'t know what libs you are using, but you have to do something with those Horns, they are below barable. Try to pay atention to phrasing when writing for brass, give them space to breath, give them movement in dynamics.

Hello Devon
    maybe this was said before...
    the phrasing of the horns is too static. The melodie needs to evolute to somewhere (crescendo / decrescendo). It should be more alive. You forgot the aspiration, too.
    The orchestral sound seems a bit \"empty\"... try to create a real, dense orchestral mass for this kind of warrior theme. More percussions, other brass, little rythmic motives in the strings, etc.
    Hope this helps,

Awesome, thanks for all the feedback guys. I\'m going to keep building this up and up and see what it turns into. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum